Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · InVisage QuantumFilm Tech - Next step after BSI?

hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · InVisage QuantumFilm Tech - Next step after BSI?

So Sony and InVisage are going to work together to bring this new sensor tech to the mass. Right now, InVisage sets its sight on the cell phone market but Sony might bring this to the mirrorless world. I think this is the next logical step after BSI (probably two gens. away for mirrorless). Obviously, this seems to be the more viable option at the moment than the organic tech being developed by Sony and others. What do you guys think?

From InVisage site:

http://www.invisage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/cross-section-web2.jpg

http://www.invisage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/absorption-strength_V21.jpg

http://www.invisage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/lensheightv2.gif

This very last demo might be the solution for realizing small, high quality, symmetrical lenses for a mirrorless system. Note that the quantum dot does not have colors like the picture indicated. They're essentially like an analog film that captures the color filtered light. So cross-talk in BSI is not going to happen. It also seems that this tech might extend the highlight DR.

Jul 20, 2015 at 01:02 PM
sflxn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · InVisage QuantumFilm Tech - Next step after BSI?

Curious how different this is from organic sensors. The steady tech improvements in sensors like this is why I wouldn't doubt Sony. We might see this in an A7R mark 5 in a few years. It's good to see that we haven't maxed out in sensor innovation yet. Sony seems to have their hands in a lot of future sensor tech. I have more trust in a company that actually makes sensors over those that simply research sensor tech -- I'm talking about Fuji and Olympus. Sony is in a unique position to determine which sensor technology actually works well while being manufacturable.

Jul 20, 2015 at 04:21 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · InVisage QuantumFilm Tech - Next step after BSI?

Am I wrong in saying that Sony have already announced what comes immediately after BSI, called stacked sensor tech? In SonySpeak, BSI is Exmor R, and stacked sensor tech is Exmor RS. It is supposed to ship pretty much around now, and used in cellphones. So this would come after stacked sensor tech? Or be combined with it?

Jul 21, 2015 at 01:38 AM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · InVisage QuantumFilm Tech - Next step after BSI?

philber wrote:
Am I wrong in saying that Sony have already announced what comes immediately after BSI, called stacked sensor tech? In SonySpeak, BSI is Exmor R, and stacked sensor tech is Exmor RS. It is supposed to ship pretty much around now, and used in cellphones. So this would come after stacked sensor tech? Or be combined with it?

I agree that stacked design might appear on the next gen. But fundamentally, Sony stacked design is just a slight improvement in term of signal processing. If this InVisage QuantumFilm ever appears in mirrorless, it might couple with the stacked design as well.

Sony just patented a dual PDAF module that the stacked design might not be compatible with. This tech is about changing the light gathering/recording material itself. According to marketing, it could be almost 2-stop better (4 times better).

Jul 21, 2015 at 10:46 AM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · InVisage QuantumFilm Tech - Next step after BSI?

Note that InVisage announced their "QuantumDots" in 2010. Clearly, there are problems to work out, but it seems they got to the point where Sony is interested...

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:31 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.