New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Epson 3880-Art paper??

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 3880-Art paper??

I'm printing more and more large B&W images. The 3880 does a decent job. (I'm running Mac OS X 10.10.3) One thing that baffles me is that in the dialog box Print Settings>Printer Settings there is a place to select Media Type. It has options like Photo Paper, Proofing Paper, Fine Art Paper, etc. I can select any type of paper BUT those listed under "Fine Art Paper." I have some paper that meets that definition but can't make use of these selections. Anyone have a clue why this is so?

Other details: I'm set so that "Printer handles color" and the problem is the same in both Lr and Ps. (5.71 and CS6)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have a suspicion about profiles, but am not sure.

Thanks,

Robert

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:37 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 3880-Art paper??

because Epson throws a hidden requirement in for 'fine art' papers.

Almost all of them *require* using the rear single-sheet feeder.

Go back to Page Setup and choose 8.5x11 (or something larger) REAR feed. You'll now see those fine art papers un-greyed out.

It's hinted at in teh 3880 users manual but never really highlighted or noted as such. The manual's paper guide shows all of those papers w/ an 'R' for the feed.

It also means that most every fine-art Epson paper (or 3rd party) requires a *minumum* print size of 8.5x11. I get around that by creating a profile for the paper in question using Epson Ultra-Prem Matte (which is one of the few papers that can go in the top auto-feed). This is used for test prints before I go for (wasting) larger sheets of $$ paper.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 3880-Art paper??

Howard,

Thanks for that. I'd been thru the manual but missed the "R". Of course it was never noted in the text. Lousy documentation. What's really odd is that you don't have to have any paper in the top feed to change all the other paper settings. Really weird.

Thanks much

Robert

Good tip on the "test" paper. I hate to push 17 x 22 thru without having done something smaller first.

Jul 20, 2015 at 06:31 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 3880-Art paper??

I dont understand your statement re: what's odd. Pls explain.

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:01 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 3880-Art paper??

What I was referring to is that without any paper at all in the top feed, I can adjust all the other paper types from within the print settings dialog. The "oddness" is that one has to have paper in the rear to do art paper settings, but don't have to have paper to change any of the others. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Robert

Jul 21, 2015 at 09:07 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson 3880-Art paper??

hmm, I never noticed that.

Jul 21, 2015 at 09:33 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.