Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

trevanian
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

I'm curently using Phottix Atlas to trigger my camera, and to trigger strobes. Well it triggers my camera but it's not synching with the strobes, as my frames are almost black. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

Are you shooting at faster than the native sync speed of your camera? Often with typical strobe and trigger you can't shoot above the normal sync speed of somewhere between 1/160 and 1/250.

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

No, I've tried different shutter speeds 250 down to 60 with same results.

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:14 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

Some specifics will help.
- What off camera strobes/speedlights are you using?
- If Nikon speedlights, are they set to TTL, Manual, SU4? Set them to Manual. TTL won't work and SU4 is where the flash fires when it sees another flash fire. In that case a wireless trigger is not needed.
- If Nikon speedlights, are they set to Master, Remote or On? Try setting them to "On" not "Remote". Remote is only for Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting System).
- When you say they are not synching, does that mean they do flash?

The Phottix Atlas triggers are not TTL and that may be what the flashes are set up for. Check that and if you've selected "Remote" on the off camera flashes, change that to "On". See if any of that helps and good luck.

Jul 21, 2015 at 07:20 AM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

I guess we need specifics, huh. One ab1600 connected to the atlas set on receive, and one sb800 set on manual also connected to another atlas trigger set on receive. Camera is set on manual with atlas cord connected to cam, and an extra atlas to trigger everything. I can trigger the camera and flashes go off but not in synch for some reason. However I have since connected the Ab1600 to my camera with synch cord and I have remotely triggered everything and my sb800 is syncing remotely, so the ab1600 is the culprit. I guess this solution will have to do for now. I'm doing some basic pics of archers drawing their bows so I can't be in front of the cam at the time. When I don't trigger my camera remotely, the ab1600 syncs perfect, wirelessly with the same system.

Jul 21, 2015 at 01:31 PM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

This is probably the synch culprit. If you're using 1 Atlas to trigger both the camera and the remotes, it won't synch. Here's why. The flash has to be synched when the shutter is open and what you have configured is to trigger the camera and flashes to fire at the same time. Triggering both at the same time will make the flashes fire before the shutter is even open. Make sense? You have to have the camera trigger the remote flashes when the shutter is open.

Depending on how many wireless trigger you have, use one pair to remotely trigger the camera and a second pair (one on the camera hot shoe and one on a remote flash) the other flash could be slaved to the flash attached to the wireless trigger. Make sure the camera triggers are on a different channel than the flash triggers.

So, one Atlas in your hand, one with a synch cord to the camera. These would be on channel "1" and one trigger in the camera hot shoe transmitting to a single trigger attached to one of the remote flashes. This pair would be on channel "2". The second flash would be slaved to the first.

Try that.

Jul 21, 2015 at 05:39 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

Yes that definitely makes sense! I'll try that see how it goes.

Jul 21, 2015 at 06:44 PM
trevanian
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using Atlas triggers for remote on camera?

yep, that was it, I needed two triggers on the camera and the second one had to be different channel as well as the strobe/flashes, than the camera shutter trigger.

Jul 27, 2015 at 11:59 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.