Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

burningheart wrote:
Seneal I was told there mall locations aren't busy and some customers who want to order something semi-pro or pro level not in stock the order gets rerouted to be fulfilled by downtown.

I stopped going to Saneal stores many, many years ago, when I discovered they weren't authorized dealers for a lot of the stuff they were selling. I'm really surprised they're still in business.

Jul 26, 2015 at 07:52 AM
burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

jcolwell wrote:
That's probably why Vistek never opened a shop in Halifax. Aside: the manager of the then-new Vistek shop in Ottawa (was Ginns) said they planned to open in Halifax, as soon as the Ottawa renos were finished. That's probably at least four years ago, They probably realize that the customer base is so small that it can't support a Vistek shop in Halifax, even though they must really want to have a presence to counter Henry's.

I'm surprised that Henry's still has two shops in Halifax (Bayers Lake and Dartmouth Crossing).

Their expansion was too fast, too expensive and at the wrong time. In Calgary a lot of business was generated by photofinishing for film and slides. When I was shooting slide film I could drop it off in the morning and pick it up that night. It was a good time to check out other gear(lenses, bags, etc) as they had many accessories available and on display not behind glass cases. Prices were higher but they always matched prices and I didn't always have to ask. With the south store it was all glass cases, no photofinishing and no accessories.

As photofinishing declined so was the need for many to go into the store, thus a loss of foot traffic. Vistek did downsize in early 2014, with many layoffs. They spent a lot of money renovating their stores, went in the direction of glass cases and open unused floor space, no accessories. A boutique type of look for fragrances and perfumes. In contrast the Camera Store uses the floor space for accessories that one can browse and look at.

As Cliff pointed out Vistek has less items on display, thus there is no reason to go and browse anymore. The Camera Store has lots of display items, limited parking and too many sales folks coming up and asking if they could help me. Sometimes I just want to browse.

I hope Vistek, The Camera Store and Seneal continue on locally, but in the current photo market and economy it doesn't look too good.

I have good rapport with The Camera Store and buy a lot of gear from them, but some items I prefer using only Vistek carries that product lines and The Camera Store doesn't and there are occasions Vistek had a lower price. It's good still having local B&M but if there prices aren't compettive I will go where the best price is.

Jul 26, 2015 at 01:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

burningheart wrote:
...As Cliff pointed out Vistek has less items on display, thus there is no reason to go and browse anymore...

Yeah. Their Ottawa shop has that approach. OTOH, the main shop on Queen St East in To. was pretty good, last time I was there (about three years ago). I get my Elinchrom stuff through Vistek, and I think there was something else recently, but I don't remember what it was.

The local Henry's shops are fairly good for browsing gizmos and accessories, although their floor space and stock depth aren't what shops like this used to be.

Atlantic Photo Supply (my favourite shop) is very lean on retail gear stock, as they concentrate on printing and framing, although the President, Brian, has keen interest in astronomy, and so their stock of telescopes is unusually good (plus, he likes drones). APS will price match pretty much any rational retail price in Canada, and they're really good at getting stuff in. Except for single-source brands, like Elinchrom (Vistek/Gnigami), Feisol (VPN), Sunwayfoto (Prophotographygear), etc. Also, APS is my lifeline to CPS purchases.

Jul 26, 2015 at 01:42 PM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

I shop at Hunts Photo In Manchester NH, they seem to be well sticked & fairly busy when ever I go there.

Jul 26, 2015 at 03:42 PM
dmaxphil
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

DaveOls wrote:
When I lived in Houston there were three stores; Southwestern, Houston Camera Exchange and the camera store near Rice Village. I think Southwestern got flooded out by the bayou. Did the one closer to town close?

Just looked it up, the other store is the Camera Coop and there is also a Ritz/Fox in the same area.

Coop and Wolf/Ritz closed down. HCE is the only one left to my knowledge.

Jul 26, 2015 at 06:41 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

Too bad about the Camera Coop. They were a smaller shop than HCE, but I think the sales people were more personable. I have to drive to Knoxville, two hours away, to get to a real camera store.

Jul 26, 2015 at 06:58 PM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

I like to shop and buy in camera shops if possible. I have been to B&H a few times and it is excellent but too far away for me. Some good ones that I recommend are listed below. They are competitively priced with B&H and weel stocked with gear for various levels of photographers and sales people are great.

District Camera, a.k.a, ePhotocraft, Burke, VA
Dan's Camera, Allentown, PA
Allen Camera, Allentown, NJ
Fisk Camera, Easton, PA (small family owned store)

Jul 30, 2015 at 06:52 AM
TheGoodGrief

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

I'm really fortunate to have a couple nice options in my area. Pro Photo Supply has a nice selection of new equipment, and frequently has good used pieces come through. This weekend, I went in and tried out Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, and Zeiss lenses. It's my primary stop for my digital stuff, and I'm not alone - the place is busy! They have a good processing/printing branch, as well as a rental shop.

While the selection is nice, some of the staff seem disinterested at times, and it has a cold feel to it. Some work on aesthetics would go a long way, but they're the biggest digital game in town, and I don't think it's driving the customers away; it's just not comfortable. The processing side feels much better, but they don't have to contend with storing all the product.

For film equipment, I check Blue Moon Camera first. They don't seem to revise their prices very often, so there will be items on their shelf forever with ridiculous tags on them, but they have a nice array of large format cameras at decent prices. I see lots of customers there when I go, and they keep it well staffed. They never forged into digital, which is noble, I guess.

The shop space is small, but cozy, and has a nice feel - wooden floors, typewriters lining the walls, hardcover photography books on display - not unlike walking into a used book store. I'm afraid that analogy is too accurate, if you know what I mean. If anywhere can support it long term, it might be Portland.

Citizen photo is another good film-centric shop. I haven't been there since the shop moved, but prior to the move, the workspace was cluttered and the staff was short and terse. I've only been twice, so the sample size isn't great, but there isn't anything I need from them that someone else in town doesn't do. There isn't much for sale, but still worth a look if you like rare used equipment. Their game is in the processing and printing.

In general, I really appreciate having high quality shops in town - especially those that specialize in different things. I still order some things from online sources, but to be able to go into a brick and mortar shop and try out 8 lenses before making my decision made a great difference for me.

One minor complaint, which I'm hoping doesn't come across as whiny, is that in some analog shops, I've felt a bit of a "you're young, so you couldn't possibly know what you're talking about" attitude from time to time, which soon loosens up after a bit of talking. It doesn't really bother me much, but I imagine it would turn off some other customers. For a business that's facing a lot of challenges already, scaring off future business is a risky prospect.

Aug 02, 2015 at 09:24 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

My experience of brick and mortar stores (particularly camera stores and electronics stores, but sometimes other kinds) is extremely high pressure sales technique - often without much knowledge of the product and sometimes without the slightest hesitation to lie - and prices noticeably above MSRP.

I'll shop local when I can not just for the obvious economic reasons but to avoid the carbon footprint of freight hauling, but there's only so much I'll allow myself to get screwed to do so.

Aug 03, 2015 at 12:44 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

KaaX wrote:
Take a train :-) B&H is one block away from Penn Station. As to tax, you can buy things at the store and ask them to ship to your NJ address -- shipping is free and you pay no sales tax.

True, for now. It's also worth noting that if you do drive in, there's a B&H parking lot on W34th St just east of 9th Ave.
More here.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Aug 03, 2015 at 02:19 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

dmaxphil wrote:
There is one store in Houston and it stays relatively busy from what I can tell. Again, one store in all of Houston, TX.

Its about all the city can handle. Thankfully, HCE has been getting better in CSR so I will continue to shop there. I'm sad that camera co-op near washington went out of business though...

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL STORES!

Aug 03, 2015 at 02:35 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

I only buy from BH, when i visit NYC...which is actually quite frequent. I also have to limit myself to <30 minutes or less or I will attempt to buy alot of things.

Aug 03, 2015 at 02:37 PM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What's Your Brick & Motar Experience?

My favorite store on the planet is Norman Camera in Kalamazoo, MI. These folks are the bomb! I but just about everything from them. The sales staff are really knowledgeable about what they sell as they are all photographers as well and the management is great too! It is about an hour and a half drive for me and it is just a really good place to go try stuff and talk photography. They have their up and down moments as far as being busy but they are always steady. I even go there sometimes just to talk photography if they aren't busy. Funny, I always seem to come home with something though. Anyway, cannot recommend this place strongly enough!

Aug 04, 2015 at 12:45 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.