FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Orchids

RainDance
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Orchids

Taken before the rain here in San Diego.

DSC_6626 by Ranie Dib, on Flickr

DSC_6641 by Ranie Dib, on Flickr

DSC_6606 by Ranie Dib, on Flickr

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Orchids

Hi there
It's a shame with over 113 looks that no one commented to your post. I have always found orchids one of the most difficult flowers to photograph, compositions are tricky as is exposure.

I will offer some help, please don't find any of it in a negative way

#1 Multiples are a challenge with any floral arrangement. The depth of the orchid single flower makes choosing the correct F/stop important to get the entire flower in focus so consider working at f/8 to f/16 if you can. In a set up like this you will benefit from picking the flower closest to you and properly framing it as objects closest to us in the frame that are out of focus become a bigger distraction. So, isolation will be a key in set ups like this.

#2 I've always liked shots like this showing all the veining and patterns of this foliage. Again note the one or two areas where there is some stem and leaves that are out of focus that very slightly distract from the overall image. You did a good job on exposure and focus on this image, really nice!

#3 This is nice proof about what I said about #1, here you selected and isolated the flower closest to us and it works in the comp much better. Overall both #1 and #2 are bit overexposed. You will see much more detail with the proper exposure, take multiple shots once you are set up and vary the exposure then study your results later or learn how to interpret the Histogram on your camera, it will quickly be your best friend

Glad to see your post, hope you will make another effort and post again!
Karl

Jul 21, 2015 at 09:04 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Orchids

Karl Witt wrote:
#2 I've always liked shots like this showing all the veining and patterns of this foliage. Again note the one or two areas where there is some stem and leaves that are out of focus that very slightly distract from the overall image. You did a good job on exposure and focus on this image, really nice!

You know, the image is so busy (in the right way IMO) that the OOF areas are hard to notice. I look at the shot and my eyes are bouncing all over the frame like a pinball. Keeps my attention!

+1 to your other C&C.

Keep on posting, Raindance!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 21, 2015 at 09:42 PM
RainDance
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Orchids

Thank you for the insight, comments or criticism is what I am looking for. I like busy patterns, but with this I think that if it is not busy enough, like the second photo it will not work. That was what I was going for with the first. I have found a new interest in photography. Before I just wanted gear but now I actually like taking pictures. I will be going to sand dunes this weekend and see what I will manage to compose there.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Orchids

Nice set RainDance. I always find flowers such a challenge .

Birdie

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:51 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.