New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

SidewinderX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

I've recently upgraded from my trusty 50D to a 7D Mark II and I'm out on a trip shooting with it for the first time. I've enjoyed it, but I've just discovered and odd issue with one of my lenses.

When focusing through the viewfinder, the autofocus isn't willing to focus out to infinity (or close to it) -- it's a bit of a problem when shooting a landscape shot! However, if I switch over to the live view and use autofocus, the camera has no problem using the entire focus range of the lens.

I know that the autofocus method is different between the viewfinder and the liveview, but I don't understand why the viewfinder method just doesn't figure it out! It doesn't seem to have any issues with my other lenses -- just the Tokina.

Any ideas? Heard anything like this before?

Jul 19, 2015 at 04:45 PM
Phantom Medic
• • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

Check firmware and update if needed.

Jul 19, 2015 at 06:55 PM
SidewinderX
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

I've got 1.04, which I think is the latest

Jul 20, 2015 at 08:41 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

SidewinderX wrote:
I've got 1.04, which I think is the latest

The lens may need a firmware update.

Jul 20, 2015 at 09:31 AM
SidewinderX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

johnctharp wrote:
The lens may need a firmware update.

I'm not sure if the original Tokina 12-24 F4 AT-X Pro does "firmware updates" -- how many lenses do firmware updates?

Jul 20, 2015 at 05:06 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

SidewinderX wrote:
I'm not sure if the original Tokina 12-24 F4 AT-X Pro does "firmware updates" -- how many lenses do firmware updates?

Every lens that focuses on the EF-mount has some sort of firmware; in nearly every case (i.e., every case except Sigma Global Vision lenses that I'm aware of) the manufacturer will have to upgrade the firmware if/when needed.

Check with Tokina, see what they have to say.

Jul 20, 2015 at 07:15 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

That's one of the problems with using non-Canon AF lenses on Canon bodies. Sometimes an update to the Canon communication protocols between the camera and lens are not supported by some older, third party lenses. In the past, it has been sometimes possible to get particular non-compliant lenses made compatible by sending them to the original manufacturer and getting a chip replacement (i.e. most are not user-updatable), but there's no guarantee that this will be available for problems found with new cameras.

Jul 20, 2015 at 07:22 PM
SidewinderX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wierd 7D Mark II Focus Behavior w/ Tokina 12-24

All - thanks for the feedback, I'll contact Tokina.

I also played around a bit with the af microadjust and it seems to help - at least pushes the lens towards infinity. This might be an ok solution for this lens because it's an ultrawide that I'm often shooting at f8 with...

Jul 21, 2015 at 06:17 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.