New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

Ok a friend of mine sent this to me yesterday and we are wondering what the logic in this?

It says that in the users manual for the Siggy and it highlights this. Says you must turn off the OS before dismounting the lens and also to mount it with the OS off, once the lens is on the camera, then turn on the OS. Have no idea why it states that. I think it causes the pics to be blurry or OOF if you don’t.

Thank you

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

I never heard of this ... and I've never practiced it. Hmmmm, at any impact it may have had. I might have to revisit the Siggy to see if it makes a diff.

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

I took my manual out and sure enough it says this turn off when removing and attaching the lens

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

I asked this very question a few months back but there wasn't much consensus as to why. I power my camera down whenever I change lenses so I'm not sure how/why the OS would/could be affected...

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

Someone should ask Sigma. I nominate Mike.

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:36 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

Geez Tony I thought if anyone knows it would be you I have sent them an email. I am thinking it has something to do with the camera being on it could have an effect on the lens.

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:03 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

It does say that and I think the only reason is that if you dismount while the IS is active then it can damage the lens....ask me how I know....I did it once with my 600 f/4 IS II....listening to the horrible noise inside the lens caused me a lot of worry...in that case I quickly remounted and powered on the camera and it reset the IS elements and seemed fine afterwords.....thank goodness. However, hearing that sound it made I'm sure it could have done damage. I think this is the only reason Sigma states this so as not to have people damaging the lens but in reality the IS stays on such a short time that it would be rare to dismount it before it shuts off. I believe there will be no problem if the IS has stopped and you leave the switch in the ON position. I've never shut it off to change lenses.

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:07 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

I read this else ware, about shutting off the OS system when installing and removing lens from body.

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:52 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

Hello Mike,

You should turn the OS off prior to turning the camera off and removing the lens so the reset arms that hold the OS element in place can engage the element. If you turn the camera off with the OS on and then remove the lens the OS element will move around within the lens, it shouldn’t damage anything but it isn’t recommended. Should this occur simply put the lens on the camera, turn the camera on, take a photo then turn the OS off and the reset arms will engage.

Sincerely,

Paul Pizzano

SIGMA Corporation of America l 15 Fleetwood Ct, Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

Jul 20, 2015 at 09:47 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

I would never remember to turn the OS switch off before taking the lens off. Everything in the world is too complicated! I even forget about OS half the time.

Luckily I almost always turn the camera off to change lenses. This is an old practice based on the theory that removing the charge from the sensor will attract less dust. I'm not sure if that is true or not. I also hold the camera with the mirror box opening pointing toward the ground.

I realized since I got a Sony A6000 and A7II that I never clean my DSLRs. I can't remember having to clean a sensor on a Canon or Nikon DSLR in the last 4 years. On the Sony's I am cleaning them every two weeks. But different architecture with no mirror to protect the sensor glass.

Cheers! Thanks for the education.

Jul 21, 2015 at 03:09 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

I was always told to turn the camera off before removing the lens . (i must confess I sometimes forget) so in theory the OS would be off if the camera is off .

but maybe with the OS switch set to off it may 'park' the os unit .

Jul 21, 2015 at 03:14 AM

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

I'm pretty sure I read something along these lines in the 17-55/2.8 IS manual (when I had that lens). Needless to say, I never cared (including with the 70-200/2.8 IS lens I have now).

Jul 21, 2015 at 06:00 AM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

Sent my 7DII into Canon for a check up and when I got it back the 150-600 wasn't giving me the quality of shots I was getting before I sent it in. I thought damn what happened? so I put another lens on and it was ok. Then I got to thinking when I took the lens off I did not turn the OS off. So I did a reset on the lens per Sigma and now it's as good if not better

Jul 22, 2015 at 05:36 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

tanglefoot47 wrote:
Hello Mike,

You should turn the OS off prior to turning the camera off and removing the lens so the reset arms that hold the OS element in place can engage the element. If you turn the camera off with the OS on and then remove the lens the OS element will move around within the lens, it shouldn’t damage anything but it isn’t recommended. Should this occur simply put the lens on the camera, turn the camera on, take a photo then turn the OS off and the reset arms will engage.

Sincerely,

Paul Pizzano

SIGMA Corporation of America
...Show more

Thank you for the information.

Brian M.

Jul 22, 2015 at 06:25 PM
godfreyz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OS on or off on the 150-600 C Siggie

Thanks to Mike (Tanglefoot47) for the great info on the Sigma 150-600.

Jul 22, 2015 at 08:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.