FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Dune 40, Namibia

Bobu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dune 40, Namibia

All 4 images were shot near the Dune 40 in the Sossusvlei, Namibia. The famous Dune 45 had too many footprints, therefore I prefered the Dune 40 (40 km from the entrance gate).

Boris

#1:
Sossusvlei by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#2:

#3:

#4:

Jul 19, 2015 at 05:43 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dune 40, Namibia

Hey Boris,

I had no idea they had their dunes named by number.

First off, I think the dune shots feel a little over saturated, the exception is #2 which feels just right. Now #4 is a cool dunes with the stars shot, but it's a bit too bright. It's a night scene obviously from the stars, but it's so bright it looks like you photographed it in the day time. While there is some initial thrill to being able to capture something that looks like that, the day time feel really takes away from the realism of it. So darken #4 some more and that will be a real stand out shot. I like the simplicity of #3, but back off on the saturation so that it doesn't end up looking like a graphic drawing rather then being the photo that it is.

A few tweaks and these will all be stand outs Boris.

Jim

Jul 19, 2015 at 12:40 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dune 40, Namibia

Thanks Jim for your feedback. The saturation slider of image #3 is at 0 (in LR). Of course I could set it to a negative value but I kind of like the graphic look of this image.

But I agree that image #4 could benefit if it would be less bright.

Boris

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:11 PM
Jmadhavan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dune 40, Namibia

Hi Jim,
The colors do not look over-saturated. If you have been to the dunes this is what they look like, especially in the morning light. The dunes are numbered according to the distance from the Main gate (in Km).

Boris,
What a great idea, photographing a "non-popular" dune. Dune 45 has so many foot-prints that it looks like a Calcutta market-place!! I wish I had thought about that. May be the next time!!

Jas

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:11 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dune 40, Namibia

Thanks Jas!

Here is a darker version of image #4 as Jim suggested. What do everybody think? Is the darker one better?

#4a:

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:17 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dune 40, Namibia

Hi Boris,

I really like #3 its really cool, and prefer #4 v2 as Jim suggested.

Ed

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:35 PM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dune 40, Namibia

1st is the most balanced imo. On the last one there is something wrong in how the dune is rendered, it seems fake and plastic to me

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:48 AM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dune 40, Namibia

#2 and #3 are my favorites. Love the light in 2. I'm fascinated by the dune numbering, but I guess it's hard to name them.

Phil

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:20 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dune 40, Namibia

Thanks Ed, fplstudio and Phil for your comments!

Boris

Jul 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dune 40, Namibia

Hey Boris,

With your edit, I think the sky is looking closer to feeling like a dark sky, good work there. I am guessing that the initial exposure was pretty bright? How is the histogram on it? Anyway, the ground layer is going to be harder to get to look like a night shot after the fact. Just darkening the shot with Levels will end up giving it more of a muddy feel. This is one where you would need to double process the Raw shot I think. One for the ground layer where it's quite underexposed to look more like night. Then one of the stars that isn't quite as underexposed, and then use a layer mask to blend those 2 images (of the same shot) into one.

Maybe it's not worth the effort or maybe you like it as it is. It's your shot so you can like it however you want. But for me, I would still work on it a bit, as it's cool seeing the stars over the Dunes, I still think that it should then feel like a night shot.

Jim

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dune 40, Namibia

Jim, here are the histograms of both images:

#4:
Dune_40_4 by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#4a:
Dune_40_4a by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

Layers are not possible since I work only with LR and not PS. But I wouldn't want the foreground to be any darker.

Boris

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dune 40, Namibia

Boris,
Nicely done! for #4 you can use masks in LR and darken the areas selectively...just google it. The darker one is better

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Dune 40, Namibia

Bobu wrote:
Jim, here are the histograms of both images:

#4:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/336/19675200188_2e8b68f435_o.pngDune_40_4 by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

#4a:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/329/19868186571_46f7798481_o.pngDune_40_4a by Boris Buschardt, auf Flickr

Layers are not possible since I work only with LR and not PS. But I wouldn't want the foreground to be any darker.

Boris

Hey Boris,

Thanks for the histograms, they are about a stop brighter then I usually do my stars at. You should consider getting CS6, while LR can be a good starting point and many use it, there are lot's of photos where it's the power of CS6 that takes them to the next level.

But as I mentioned, ultimately it's your vision with how you want to present your star shots, and if you like the look as it is, well then keep it. It's your art.

Jim

Jul 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Ton Hung
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Dune 40, Namibia

very nice set

Jul 22, 2015 at 07:28 AM
xelas
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Dune 40, Namibia

Boris, very nice set. The dunes do look as saturated as you have posted them, but that is in the afternoon light (to my experience and to your time stamp). In the morning light colours are completely different.

One logistic question: while there is a road to Dune 45 (and adjacent parking lot) I have not seen one that would allow a "close encounter" with Dune 40 ... or any other for that matter?! Have I missed this approach road?

Jul 22, 2015 at 07:53 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Dune 40, Namibia

Thanks Ton and xelas!

@xelas: There is a short approach road to the Dune 40, similar to the Dune 45. But it's blocked half-way for cars and contrary to the Dune 45 there is no sign at the junction.

Jul 22, 2015 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.