New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Amsterdam

Abhinav Jain
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amsterdam

Hello
I have tried searching for posts on Amsterdam, but I guess no one goes there for photography
Are there suggestions on places to photograph. Not looking to photograph museums.
Some general tips would be helpful.
I will be there in August for 4 days.

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amsterdam

This is the Canon Forum, not the Travel Advice Forum.

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amsterdam

Abhinav Jain wrote:
Hello
I have tried searching for posts on Amsterdam, but I guess no one goes there for photography
Are there suggestions on places to photograph. Not looking to photograph museums.
Some general tips would be helpful.
I will be there in August for 4 days.

Only been once and that was before I got back into photo stuff .

From what I remember it's a very photogenic city .
Tall narrow buildings , canals , bridges and pushbikes . There's plenty to shoot .

Have you looked on Flickr and 500px for keywords like Amsterdam , canal, bikes ?

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:46 AM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amsterdam

go to coffee shop and get high with the weeds and space cakes

dont forget about the red light street and get yourself laid

Jul 19, 2015 at 03:12 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amsterdam

Having lived there for 10 years I can happily tell Amsterdam's much more than just coffee shops and the red light district

Any place is nice for street photography; the Albert Cuyp and Waterloo plein market for instance (or more local: the Dapper market), but the canals and streets of the Jordaan area are very nice as well. Plenty of beautiful old buildings - (and new ones, like the EYE building in Amsterdam North) and streets to photograph too if you'd like some architectural shots.

And although photographing museums is not on your list; I'd definitely recommend visiting some, in particular the Rijksmuseum and perhaps Van Gogh because there's much to learn in the field of photography here (use of light by classic painters, use of colors by v. Gogh).

Just remember to shoot it with Canon

Jul 19, 2015 at 04:06 AM
Abhinav Jain
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Amsterdam

Thanks for the advice. I did post in the travel forum but no one responded for over a week.

Evertdoorn, I may be taking a half day trip the windmills. Is that a good place to photograph?

Jul 19, 2015 at 02:09 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Amsterdam

The good news is that the next person who goes to the Canon forum looking for information on... Amsterdam?... will get at least one hit from the search tool... ;-)

In all seriousness, though, you might try posting something in this forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/51

Dan

Jul 19, 2015 at 03:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Amsterdam

gdanmitchell wrote:
In all seriousness, though, you might try posting something in this forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/51

Dan

Read his post just above yours, and you will see he already did.

Jul 19, 2015 at 05:17 PM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Amsterdam

I love the place, been there maybe twenty times..... that I remember.

Everywhere is good... Red light district is old and very historic... university area another great place near the red light area.. and the Jordaan area... Google bridges of Amsterdam... Stay in the rings. Avoid that crappy commercial area that sprays out from the train station.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Jul 19, 2015 at 05:33 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Amsterdam

Bruce n Philly wrote:
I love the place, been there maybe twenty times..... that I remember.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Those are the best trips...the one's you don't quite remember but everyone says you had one great time.

Jul 19, 2015 at 05:50 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Amsterdam

Abhinav Jain wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I did post in the travel forum but no one responded for over a week.

Evertdoorn, I may be taking a half day trip the windmills. Is that a good place to photograph?

You mean Zaanse Schans? It's definitely nice and unique (there's one mill in particular that's actually still used for processing wood where you can also visit the interior), but you will find loads and loads of tourists and you'd have to shoot around them.

Jul 20, 2015 at 02:27 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Amsterdam

My recommendation: if you can, go for night photography. Lots of reflexions on the canals, and few tourists, so it is a twofer.:-) This means a tripod, of course.

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:06 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Amsterdam

If you have four days, then you can spend each day walking in a different direction - north, south, east, west. That's essentially what I did, though I didn't have four days. Just walk and take it all in. Also, don't ignore the more modern areas. There is some interesting architecture to see, if you're into that. Also a lot fewer tourists. Oh, and be sure to bring comfortable walking shoes you've already broken in (had to painfully relearn that lesson).

Jul 20, 2015 at 03:20 PM
patdbarry

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Amsterdam

I will chime in because I just returned from a trip to Africa and spent a few days in Amsterdam on both ends. The gear I took was determined by my primary goal of shooting wildlife in Africa. That being said, most of my photos in Amsterdam were taken with a 5dmkiii and a 16-35 f/4. Not sure if you are asking for what gear to carry, but I would have been a bit happier if I had a 50mm f/1.2, but I already had a full bag.

Being jet lagged I got up at 4:30 every morning and took walks around the city. The light is pretty amazing early in the morning especially if there are scattered clouds. You don't really have to worry about many tourists being up and about until after 8am and if you are anywhere near the central station most everything is within a 25min walk. I was mostly interested in architecture so I went to the Nemo, Rijksmuseum, and around the canals. I also took the train to Zaanse Schans to see the windmills. There were a ton of people, but it was still fun to see working windmills and how they make wooden shoes. If you have specific questions you can PM me and we can chat about specifics. If you plan on using a credit card make sure it has a chip and pin and it will make your life a lot easier in terms of buying train/metro tickets.

Jul 20, 2015 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.