New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

Abbott Schindl
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

A different thought for you. I'm using a Gitzo 3550 monopod, which can extend to 75"; it replaced my "normal length" Manfrotto 386B, which is a very nice monopod. I take the unit hiking and often am in situations where the monopod must rest on a river or streambed, or I'm standing on a boulder or near a dropoff and the support's footing may be a foot or more beneath me, and other such situations. This isn't a question of me being too lazy to bend—it's one of needing the support to be placed on appropriate ground for the situation at-hand. The extra couple of feet have enabled me to get a number of otherwise impossible (for me) shots. Same with my very long Gitzo tripod. While these units are expensive, think about how long you'll own them, how much time/effort/money you spend getting to the photo site, and so on.

For the mount: I've been using a Manfrotto 3229 to which I've added a Kirk adapter that adapts the Manfrotto QR plate to standard Arca Swiss plates. Very simple system and works very well with setups up to a 1DIV with 100-400L (II) or a Tamron or Sigma 150-600. The 3229's a bit lightweight for longer, heavier lenses, though.

Jul 03, 2016 at 05:17 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

I have the Sirui and the Feisol noted above and use both mostly with a disc clamp. If you use a regularly arca swiss clamp on top and it is narrower than the disk on your monopod, then you will have troubles tightening and loosening it to remove your foot and lens.

I do also have a tilt head that I use on a monopod when birding as well, but for sports normally don't use one as I usually do more panning than I do tilting.

The Sirui is nice a lightweight and works fine with a 300 2.8, but feels a little flimsy for my 400 2.8. The Feisol is also fairly light, but is rock solid with whatever I put on it. It doesn't close down as small though so I often don't pack it when flying.

Jul 04, 2016 at 11:40 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

I've used the same Manfrotto 680B w/ 234RC ($45) for about 10+ years. Hasn't even loosened on me yet.

The 200PL plates are $15, I have 4-6 for lenses & bodies.

Manfrotto 680 & 681 are discontinued. So not sure what has replaced it.

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:59 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

The 680B was replaced by MMXPROA4US ($99 st B&H)

Jul 05, 2016 at 03:29 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

Where do I find a FIXED plate/qr arca swiss plate/clamp?

I have been trying to see on Google, but I'm not finding anything. I find the cheap tripod heads and everything but not a clamp that I see in the first page in this post.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 08, 2016 at 09:00 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

Anyone? Lol! I'm still not finding a darn thing!

Jul 08, 2016 at 08:08 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MSQ6-Quick-Release-Adaptor/dp/B00DDXJJJE/ref=pd_sim_421_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41-LsWNJ1LL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=YKFDE6S0S6P0VFKSVFQP

anyone have any thoughts on this

NM the reviews suck

Jul 09, 2016 at 05:29 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

I wouldn't touch it. Why buy an "AS" adapter that's known not to be compatible with popular AS plates

Check out Kirk Enterprise's site—look at their blems. I bought 3 of them and can't find the blemishes; they work great.

Jul 09, 2016 at 08:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

RobertLynn wrote:
Where do I find a FIXED plate/qr arca swiss plate/clamp?

Hi Rob,

I use both screw and lever clamps from RRS.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release-Clamps_3/LeverReleaseClamps
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Quick-Release-Clamps_3/ScrewKnobClamps

...and some screw clamps from Wimberley and Hejnar

http://www.hejnarphotostore.com/category-s/142.htm
(can't find a link for the Wimberley)

© jcolwell 2016

RRS lever clamps

© jcolwell 2016

Hejnar screw clamp and RC4 adapter plate on 410 geared head

© jcolwell 2016

Small RRS screw clamp

© jcolwell 2016

A different small RRS screw clamp

Jul 09, 2016 at 08:56 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

Thank you for the information. I found one I like, but I just have an issue spending 87 bucks for something, when the pod was only 99. Plus, I have to buy a flippin plate.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/B2-Pro-L-80mm-Screw-knob-clamp

Jul 12, 2016 at 09:50 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Monopod for Canon 300 +TC

I want to thank everyone for their input. I ended up ordering a plate from hen jar as well as a screw locking plate for the monopod. Today was the first day I use the monopod and practice and I understand now why the plate makes sense because it is difficult when you're packing everything up to have the camera still attached and screw and unscrew blah blah blah. I apologize for this being a jumbled mess I'm using speech to text

Jul 14, 2016 at 09:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.