FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

Camperjim wrote:
The T6s is another possibility. DXO rates the sensor as better than the 70D/7DII sensors. There is no microadjust and the body has less weatherproofing but is also a bit smaller and lighter. If you do upgrade to the 70D or T6s, definitely try out DPP4. DPP4 is much better than DPP3. The noise reduction is super. Also included is DLO which Canon claims will negate the effect of softness due to diffraction. I have no idea how it works but it does seem to improve IQ.

+ 1

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:27 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

DPP4 = Digital Photo Pro version 4.

Canon still has version 3 also. It's free to Canon users, but 4 will only work with the newer bodies - 70D, 5D3, 7DII, 1Dx, etc. See their web site for details.

Jul 19, 2015 at 06:54 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

DPP4 refers to the free Canon software: Digital Photo Professional, version 4. This software is used for processing of raw images. It is similar to Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw. DPP4 includes sliders for adjusting brightness, contrast, highlights, shadows, color saturation and color channels, sharpness, curves, etc. It has very powerful noise reduction capabilities and can remove a large amount of high ISO noise while retaining details. As I mentioned, it also includes DLO which reduces softness due to diffraction. The software will also correct for lens artifacts such as vignetting, distortions, and chromatic aberrations

Jul 19, 2015 at 09:30 AM
grizz9
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

I went from a 40D to the 70D. I like everything about the 70D image wise. I do like the feel of the 40D in my hands better though. They messed with the rear dial and it is not as usable for me. The 40D also just has a beefier feel to it which I like. Others may say the lighter 70D feels better to them so I am not sure which way you will feel on this. I also loved the joystick that the 40D has. It is not on the 70D. I did not get rid of the 40D when I upgraded and still enjoy using it. John

Jul 21, 2015 at 04:12 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

gabimaster wrote:
Why don't you make a smart move and go for a 6D . It's the smartest move you could do if you want to go up. A 60D or a 70D will give you a very small advance at iso higher than 800, but at iso 100- 800 it's even worse than 40D if you shoot Raw. Go for a real camera, 6D.

sorry but I have to disagree with statement . if your going to sit there and look at 100% crops all day then yes the higher pixel density bodies will look worse . but you also have to bear in mind if you pressed the 10mp from the 40D and viewed that at 100% its going to look even worse .

I went from the 40D to a 7D and the 7D was a much better around camera . noise at 'normal' iso's was fine . you had to push over what the 40D was capable of to get a noisier looking image when viewing at full view (not 100%) . and in fact you could crop a fair bit and still have a decent image .

the 40D was one of the better canon crop bodies so for me it would need to be at least the 7D (or 70D) to make an upgrade worth it . all the other 18mp+ options are still saddled with the 40D's worst aspect , the 9 point AF .

OP , you mention staying with crop because you don't want to change lenses . what are the lenses you have ? are they all (or most) EFs?

Jul 21, 2015 at 04:43 PM
cornkid

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

@gabimaster: Worse than the 40d?

@Ian: I have a Canon 60mm EF-S and a Canon 28-105mm EF. The 60mm is an absolute joy to use, and I don't want to re-purchase it. I honestly don't mind shooting crop either.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:15 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

cornkid wrote:
@gabimaster: Worse than the 40d?

@Ian: I have a Canon 60mm EF-S and a Canon 28-105mm EF. The 60mm is an absolute joy to use, and I don't want to re-purchase it. I honestly don't mind shooting crop either.

yeah 60 efs is one of the joys of crop (the 17-55 and 10-22 being some others by the way )

if the 28-105 is the 3.5-4.5 USM I had that lens and its a great little lens .

as for the worse than the 40D . don't believe those that spend all their time looking at 100% crops

Like I said above all the 18mp (and above ) bodies are good . its just that the 7D & 70D (and ultimately the 7D2) take the usability further on than the 40D .
also a point I forgot to mention before is that Micro Adjust is nice to have as well . so for me that takes out the Rebel bodies and the 60D .

Jul 22, 2015 at 01:11 AM
cornkid

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Newbie looking to upgrade from Canon 40d

Thanks everyone! I purchased Gavin's 70d. What a great camera! I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces this weekend.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.