New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

powaysteve

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

I'm off to Alaska next week and the last flight is with Ravn Air using a Bombardier Q200. Does anyone know if a Gura Gear Battaflae 32L will fit in the overhead bin or under the seat? Thanks for the help!

Jul 17, 2015 at 01:20 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

Did you call them? from images you have a reasonable chance.

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

Flowernut wrote:
the q200 is not the crj. it is a over wing turboprop...
(...from next post)

... Oops. I know the Q200 as the Dash 8. Sorry, I was wrong about the aircraft, in my first reply, but the message is the same. I don't think your Battafle 32 will fit in the overhead. As Flowernut says below, I'd be prepared to give it up to gate check (but hope I didn't have to).

Edited on Jul 18, 2015 at 10:45 AM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2015 at 04:56 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

the q200 is not the crj. it is a over wing turboprop. I fly it in and out of Durango Colorado. My memory is that it is a tight squeese getting my chobe in the overhead. not sure how the batflea compares in thickness. you may have a better shot under the seat with the batflea but it may stick out too far for airline rules. I'd be ready to beg and pack so that it will survive a plane side gate check. I use the think tank international roll aboard for that reason. I've used lexan sheets(home depot screen door window replacements) in the outer pockets and between the outside and the zip in liner backed by 3/8" foam padding that is used in camera cases (dense closed cell foam). All equipment in lenscoat neoprene bags packed tight so things inside the bag will not move around. If necessary, I can gate check it and get it at the ramp at the other end. On larger planes where they want to check it as luggage, I board early and it will easiily fit into overhead luggage bins. Not sure this really helps you with your problem.

Edited on Jul 20, 2015 at 06:24 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2015 at 11:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

interior configs can vary. that why you contact your carrier.

Jul 18, 2015 at 08:02 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

I used to travel with a Tristar bag that is 19" x 13" x 8" and it would squeeze into the overhead bin of the Q200.

What I do with my Bataflae 32L is take everything out of the pockets of the top flap and put them inside the main compartment beside my cameras and lenses. This reduces the fixed height of the bag by an inch and it has made all the difference in getting the bag into the overhead bin.

It is a good idea to fly with the same airline as much as possible and try to accrue frequent flyer points so you can be among the first to board and have the space available and to avoid the bulkhead seats in any aircraft. With some airlines you can pay a premium to get a better seat and at the same time get early boarding for you and your gear.

Worst case I will gate check as at least that way I avoid the TSA and baggage handlers on the outbound segment and usually (not always) I can pick up the bag at the plane after it lands.

Edited on Jan 14, 2016 at 02:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2015 at 06:07 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

I don't have a Gura Gear, but my F-Stop Loka was a really tight fit on those guys when fully loaded.

For tight planes, order of camera bag-cramming is usually this:

1. Try and jam bag under seat.

2. Try and jam bag into overhead bins, if there's a laptop or jacket or something taking up vertical space, try to remove it.

3. Very kindly inform flight attendant that my bag won't fit in overhead but is filled with very expensive and very fragile gear that cannot be checked. It's helpful if you've already made friends with them and made their lives as easy as possible (Make lots of eye contact, smile, lots of pleases and thank yous and small convos while boarding. Board extremely efficiently and quickly. Help other passengers, etc...).

Usually at that point they'll happily find another place in the cabin to store my bag.

4. If they don't want to play ball or aren't being pleasant then I kindly inform them that they may check my bag if they assume personal responsibility and sign a waiver stating that they will be personally held responsible for the damage of $xx,xxx worth of gear I have in the bag.

I'm pretty sure that this would have absolutely zero chance of holding up in any court, but that's not the point. The point is that it makes things personal for them, shows that I'm serious and not just another schmuck who over-stuffed his carryon with hotel purchases.

I've flown about 2 million miles with my gear on all sorts of planes, and have yet to check a bag.

Jul 20, 2015 at 06:48 PM
powaysteve

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bombardier Q200 Overhead Storage

.This is an update at the request of a fellow member
The travel agent at the tour company I use had just been on the same plane and said the Bataflae would not fit in the overhead as the bins were not as high as other planes. I quickly divided my gear between a Ruggard 65 shoulder and the Lenscoat 3Xpandable bag. The Lencoat bag had a 7D2 and 200-400mm lens in it an just fit in the overhead and it is 2 inches shorter than the Bataflae32. So I'm convinced that the Bataflae 32L would not fit in Q200 overhead

Sep 02, 2016 at 09:50 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.