FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Protozoon reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R
Photozone just finished its review on the super wide Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM lens. The new 50MP Canon EOS 5DS R was used making the MTF (resolution) test very interesting.

Here is an excerpt from the Verdict section:

"Canon's latest additions to the ultra-wide arena have been impressive. The Canon TS-E 17mm f/4 L is awesome and the EF 16-35mm f/4 USM L IS is best in class. So is Canon's mojo sufficient to deliver greatness with the Canon EF 11-24mm f/4 USM L once more ... even on the EOS 5Ds R ? Well, they succeeded ... only partially. Now that's a bit of a harsh statement for a unique lens, of course. " - Read Full Review

1. Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM lens $2,999
    B&H Photo | Adorama

2. Canon EOS 5DS DSLR Camera (Body Only) $3,699
    B&H Photo | Adorama

3. Canon EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera (Body Only) $3,899
    B&H Photo | Adorama

Jul 17, 2015 at 01:11 PM
wfektar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

While I'm sure this will be a useful data point for someone somewhere I'll beat a dead horse and wonder why people use Imatest for UWAs. At the very least note the working distances tested. These results may well be representative for typical working distances -- or they may not. There's no way to know. I'd put more weight on real world images here. Also, they claim cosine falloff. Again, maybe. But is the exit pupil really so much closer than the typical lens in this mount? Sloppy review.

View previous versions

Jul 17, 2015 at 01:58 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Can a 11-24 + 5DS/R owner please post some 100% crops of the edges @ 11mm so that we can reconcile the poor showing in PZ's tests? Would love to see some crops at infinity as well.

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:01 PM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

I'm glad I didn't wait for this review before buying my 11-24mm. The review could have succeeded in curbing my enthusiasm about the 11-24mm. But, I am nuts about mine - it performs awesomely on my 5DS and a7R. It's my wide-angle lens to end all wide-angle lenses.

Already sold off my TS-Es and probably will sell the Zeiss 21mm as well. It's just that good (for me).

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

snapsy wrote:
Can a 11-24 + 5DS/R owner please post some 100% crops of the edges @ 11mm so that we can reconcile the poor showing in PZ's tests? Would love to see some crops at infinity as well.

I have been posting these like crazy including links to raws.

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

wfektar wrote:
While I'm sure this will be a useful data point for someone somewhere I'll beat a dead horse and wonder why people use Imatest for UWAs. At the very least note the working distances tested. These results may well be representative for typical working distances -- or they may not. There's no way to know. I'd put more weight on real world images here. Also, they claim cosine falloff. Again, maybe. But is the exit pupil really so much closer than the typical lens in this mount? Sloppy review.

On a somewhat related topic, the "word on the street" is that certain lens manufacturers and their service departments have similar issues testing and then adjusting ultra-wide lenses.

Dan

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:36 PM
whumber
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

snapsy wrote:

One of the lens testing guys from LR commented on reddit that the poor corner performance is most likely a field curvature issue rather than an actual softness problem.

Jul 17, 2015 at 03:59 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

so lets see

Distortion
Canon 11-24 @ 11mm is 4.5 %
Canon 11-24 @ 14mm is 1.8FRIKKING%

Nikon 14-24 @ 14mm is 4%

that Nikon 14-24 with 4% has been the darling for Loooong time. However 4.5% at 11mm...OMG the sky is falling...hmm...bias much?

Jul 17, 2015 at 04:01 PM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

I really can't imagine the corners are that bad at 11mm. I think it's hard for them to draw conclusions until they test more lenses on the 5Ds R.

Chris

Jul 17, 2015 at 05:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Corners look sharp @f/8 at 11mm on the Sony A7R (36mp). I believe the tester is shooting charts at close range and field curvature is altering the results. However with more resolution we will see a bigger discrepancy from center to extreme edge resolution. I have seen this and wrote about it when testing the 36MP A7R.

Jul 17, 2015 at 06:38 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Fred..psst..the website is Photozone...not protozone

Jul 17, 2015 at 06:46 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Sunny Sra wrote:

It's the stupid spell checker changing words without my consent.

Jul 17, 2015 at 06:51 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

I found a snapshot made in Iceland @ 11mm at f/8 with the 5D Mark III. The file was taken through a basic workflow - capture sharpening, resizing, output sharpening.

Víti Crater at Krafla, Iceland

100% Crop

100% Crop with CA removed in Adobe Camera RAW

Edited on Jul 17, 2015 at 07:10 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2015 at 07:03 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Fred Miranda wrote:
Corners look sharp @f/8 at 11mm on the Sony A7R (36mp). I believe the tester is shooting charts at close range and field curvature is altering the results. However with more resolution we will see a bigger discrepancy from center to extreme edge resolution. I have seen this and wrote about it when testing the 36MP A7R.

Probably right. 11 mm - think about that for a minute - that's never been done on a rectilinear lens on full frame. I think that with the enormous amount of correction needed at that wide of an angle of view, a little field curvature is going to happen. A little distortion too. Compare with the distortion of this lens at 14+ mm, which is pretty doggone good especially for a zoom.

This lens is on my somewhat short list, right after scoring on the lottery (for which I haven't bought a ticket in years). Actually, I intend to get one. Everything I've seen about this lens places it in the winner category. I could see it replacing my 16-35 II easily. For my purpose, the f/2.8 isn't necessary. YMMV, of course.

Jul 17, 2015 at 07:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Sunny Sra wrote:

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's the stupid spell checker changing words without my consent.

Too bad there's no "Edit" capability on FM.

OMG! It's like the Magic Loogie. Can't be done, yet it was...

Edited on Jul 17, 2015 at 07:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 17, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Rajan, thanks for that example. With lens correction applied (removing CA), it looks pretty doggone sharp at the edge to me!

Jul 17, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Rajan Parrikar
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

Tom_W wrote:
Rajan, thanks for that example. With lens correction applied (removing CA), it looks pretty doggone sharp at the edge to me!

Indeed, and note that we are talking 11 effing mm here. I suspect if I had the 5DS at the time I could read off the license plate on our superjeep.

Jul 17, 2015 at 07:08 PM
Brandon Dube
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

wfektar wrote:
Also, they claim cosine falloff. Again, maybe. But is the exit pupil really so much closer than the typical lens in this mount? Sloppy review.

The cos^4 law doesn't have much at all to do with the exit pupil distance. It is natural phenominon related to the angle of view of the lens. Here is a nice presentation on it: http://www.dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Cosine_Fourth_Falloff.pdf

Regarding my comment made elsewhere on the field curvature - this is on OLAF and the Trioptics Image Master, both working at infinity. The field curvature may be different at finite conjugates.

Jul 17, 2015 at 07:16 PM

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

They were doing separate analyses in cases where the field curvature was a major factor - for instance, with Canon 24-70/2.8L, Samsung 16/2.4, Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6 II lenses. Speaking of the latter... maybe it's still an interesting choice after all, especially at the price point.

Jul 18, 2015 at 05:24 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photozone reviews EF 11-24mm f/4L on 5DS R

I had soft edge problems with a Zeiss 15 f2.8 on a 1DS3. I have gotten very sharp edges with my 11-24 when carefully edge focused. I suspect I could have used the same process with the Zeiss had I known at the time. My 17TSE has also been very sharp and very soft on the edges from one time to another.

When you see everything sharp, you know its technique not gear.

For you guys with eagle eyes who can actually see when something is in focus before you look at it at home, it may be second nature to make the required adjustments. But I depend on the camera and technique. Here is an example where I focused specifically on the left side trees.

These are processed, I could supply a raw if anyone wants to see,

Also, 100% screen viewing is deceptive. on my 88ppi monitor, an inch of print at 300PPI is shown 3.4 inches wide. A 29 inch wide print at 300PPI would be 98 inches wide at 88 ppi..

left side 100% crop

Jul 18, 2015 at 09:31 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.