New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

sdhweb

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Hello,

I own a 5D Mark III and I'm having some trouble getting it to shoot at maximum FPS (6 photos per second). Most of the time it seems more like it's shooting at 3 photos per second (just guessing). I just borrowed a 70D which offers 7 FPS and it certainly shoots faster than mine.

I have the 5D set to the following:

AF: AI servo
Drive: High speed continuous mode
RAW

I also use a UDMA 7 CF-card.

What settings may slow down the speed that I don't know about?

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:11 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Are you using AI servo one shot? Focussing rate decreases when tracking a subject.

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:19 PM
sdhweb

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

I'm using AI servo.

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:25 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

what is your battery charge state ? the 5D3 drops its FPS when the battery gets to about 50% . try with a fully charged battery .

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:29 PM
sdhweb

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
what is your battery charge state ? the 5D3 drops its FPS when the battery gets to about 50% . try with a fully charged battery .

Good tip, I will try that out! Unfortunately I'd to send my camera to repairs today, so I have to wait till I get it back to test.

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Also depends what you have setup in the AF section.
Do you want the camera to wait for a focus verification or just release shutter.

-Mark

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

also . you can test it by setting a high shutter speed and shooting in manual focus (that takes away any focus issues there may be) .

also make sure the drive mode is set to continuos H rather than the standard continuos (which is about 3 FPS) . don't forget the 5D3 has 3 continuos modes . NORMAL , H and Silent . silent is also about 3 fps

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:33 PM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

-you need shutter priority for AF, not focus priority in the AF settings
-You should be checking your Shutter speed obviously (sorry to state the obvious)
-Try another card to be sure it isn't a CF issue
-Make sure that you haven't set a custom function that limits the shutter speed

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:34 PM
pjbuehner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

to be more clear. In the second section of AF setting in the camera menu, check the focus vs. release settings. You can shift between shutter release priority and AF priority
secondly, I just checked my 5D III and I dont see a shutter FPS custom function. that exists in my 1D bodies but I guess maybe not in the 5D

Jul 15, 2015 at 02:39 PM
sdhweb

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Thanks, will check it out when I get my 5D back from repairs

Jul 15, 2015 at 03:08 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

I'm using SanDisk and Lexar 1000X and 1066X cards on AI Servo and getting close to 40 frames at 6 fps and then is just drops to about 4 fps and keeps on going. I'm almost always on Aperture preferred but am not shooting moving animals, just moving peoples.

Jul 15, 2015 at 04:00 PM
collicuttl

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Probably not the case but check if you have an SD card in there as well. I found that really slowed the shooting speed down.

Jul 15, 2015 at 04:37 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

collicuttl wrote:
Probably not the case but check if you have an SD card in there as well. I found that really slowed the shooting speed down.

No No NO . please stop spreading this .

having the SD card in the camera WILL NOT SLOW THE CAMERA DOWN .
even if your writing to the SD card you can still get 6 FPS . writing RAW to the SD card only will only result in a slighty smaller buffer due to the card not clearing the buffer as quick as the CF card (assuming a fast 1000x class card) and longer times for the buffer to clear .
but you will still get a decently long buffer of about the quoted figure (18 i think) as with a fast CF card you get way more than the quoted buffer.

if you write RAW + jpeg the buffer is only 6 shots regardless of the card slot it goes to .

I will say again just having the SD card in the slot (and to in use) WILL NOT SLOW THE CAMERA DOWN . this is a fallacy spouted every now and then which stems from a couple of tests published on the web (so it MUST be true ) .

I've shot 6fps all day at moto gp events with a fast 1000x card AND a slow SD card (as emergency overflow ) and NEVER been slowed down . the camera acted EXACTLY the same with or without the SD card present .

But as I mentioned above you do get a slow down when the battery (or batteries if you have the grip) get to 50% or below . at that point the camera drops to around 4fps or maybe even slower (it does feel a noticeable drop)

Jul 15, 2015 at 05:01 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

sdhweb wrote:
What settings may slow down the speed that I don't know about?

The amount of available light you are shooting in, the shutter speed selected, and Menu options that can effect the AF operation, to name a few possibilities....

Jul 15, 2015 at 05:09 PM
collicuttl

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
No No NO . please stop spreading this .

having the SD card in the camera WILL NOT SLOW THE CAMERA DOWN .
even if your writing to the SD card you can still get 6 FPS . writing RAW to the SD card only will only result in a slighty smaller buffer due to the card not clearing the buffer as quick as the CF card (assuming a fast 1000x class card) and longer times for the buffer to clear .
but you will still get a decently long buffer of about the quoted figure (18 i think) as with
...Show more

Ian.Dobinson: I'd be interested to hear what settings you are using since my comments were based on my actual timed tests and they indicated that it will slow down if you are actively writing to the SD card. I tested with a Lexar Pro 1066x UDMA 7 64gb CF card and a Sandisk 32gb Extreme Pro 95mb/s SD card shooting Raw format in manual mode. Here are my results:

Frames per second test:
CF card only: 5.4 fps
SD card only: 3.2 fps
CF card + SD card (func+card/folder sel menu = Record Separately ie only writing to CF card) = 5.4fps
CF card + SD card ((func+card/folder sel menu = Record Multiple ie writing to both cards) = 3.2fps

Conclusion: if an SC card is present and you are writing to it the camera will slow down to the level of the slowest card which in this case is the SD card.

Burst mode test (shoot in continuous until the buffer fills and the burst rate drops substantially):
CF only: 20 shots
SD only: 13 shots
CF card + SD card (func+card/folder sel menu = Record Separately ie only writing to CF card) = 18 shots
CF card + SD card ((func+card/folder sel menu = Record Multiple ie writing to both cards) = 13 shots

Conclusion: same as above, writing to an SD card slows the camera down.

I'm no testing expert but the conclusions seem pretty clear (unless I'm missing something).

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

Frames per second test:
CF card only: 5.4 fps
SD card only: 3.2 fps
CF card + SD card (func+card/folder sel menu = Record Separately ie only writing to CF card) = 5.4fps
CF card + SD card ((func+card/folder sel menu = Record Multiple ie writing to both cards) = 3.2fps

Conclusion: if an SC card is present and you are writing to it the camera will slow down to the level of the slowest card which in this case is the SD card.

Burst mode test (shoot in continuous until the buffer fills and the burst rate drops substantially):
CF only: 20 shots
SD only: 13 shots
CF card
...Show more

I'm going to have to retest . and post some results as thats not what I'm getting . I've shot raw to the sd card many times and never had a slow down to 3ish fps .

your buffer depths are correct though . the camera is rated at around 13 grams on the buffer but after CF cards will drag more frames out of the buffer as the first frames in the burst clear the buffer faster (think of the buffer as a bucket and the card speed as a hole . the bigger the hole the faster the bucket empties)

writing the same file to BOTH cards will obviously only write at the speed of the slowest card .
and again I will say the myth that gets spouted (and it is a myth) is that just having the SD card present slows the CF write time down . it does not

I'm too busy to do a test this weekend but early next week I will charge a battery up and shoot a few bursts of the stop watch on my phone

1 ; CF only
2: SD only
3: CF with SD present
4: CF & SD written simultaneously

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

by the way what firmware is yours ?

as for settings I usually use AV and shoot even if no lock

I think a fair test though will be Manual with a shutter speed faster than the sync speed (anything above that has the same time for the shutter cycle fully) with Manual focus

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:07 PM
collicuttl

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

My FW is version 1.3.3. There are obviously a lot of settings that can play a part in this so getting absolutely compatible results would be difficult. It would certainly be nice to be able to shoot with that SD card in there. I shoot sports and would love to be able to store a jpg version on the SD card for quick half-time filing but so far the slowdown has too much of a hit to take. I notices similar slowdowns on my 7d2 as well.

Jul 16, 2015 at 03:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

collicuttl wrote:
My FW is version 1.3.3. There are obviously a lot of settings that can play a part in this so getting absolutely compatible results would be difficult. It would certainly be nice to be able to shoot with that SD card in there. I shoot sports and would love to be able to store a jpg version on the SD card for quick half-time filing but so far the slowdown has too much of a hit to take. I notices similar slowdowns on my 7d2 as well.

yeah Im sure we could match settings up .

as far as using the SD card for a jpeg . that is something that isn't a good idea . if your going to shoot RAW + Jpeg it doesn't matter if you send the jpeg to the CF acrd or the SD card you buffer will lock out at 6 frames . doesn't matter how fast the card is .

if you have access to a pc/mac at half time then I recommend a little utility called INSTANT JPEG FROM RAW .
it strips the embedded jpeg (which in modern cameras is full res but with a high compression) from the RAW file . its very quick and you can send the jpegs to any location on the pc you like .
its also FREE .

Jul 16, 2015 at 04:02 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How to get maximum burst rate - 5D mark III

OK , I've just done an FPS test on my 5D3

settings were AV , Lens wide open (f4) , 1/640th , iso 2500 . single shot AF (didn't need to change to MF)

shot 3 sets , all at the camera's highest FPS

1: 1000x CF card - no other card in the camera
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-gwXF3Sh/0/M/3H5B2699-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-S9t6SXW/0/M/3H5B2700-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-LR8s8Sh/0/M/3H5B2701-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-S7JCf5S/0/M/3H5B2702-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-9NK3LrW/0/M/3H5B2703-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-6Jrd6tx/0/M/3H5B2704-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-RKGG4wC/0/M/3H5B2705-M.jpg

2: SD card (no other card in the camera) the results are as above so I'll post the shots at either end (5 shots in the middle)
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-PxgC9SF/0/M/3H5B2725-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-xVP2ST4/0/M/3H5B2731-M.jpg

3: shot to CF card but with the SD card in camera (not written to) again I won't include the 5 shots in the middle
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-vpmmxnB/0/M/3H5B2740-M.jpg
https://dobbie-id.smugmug.com/General/For-fm/i-9FCkLSF/0/M/3H5B2746-M.jpg

so thats 3 bursts all showing 7 shots in exactly 1 second .
the only difference was the buffer of the SD card burst was much smaller .

Jul 21, 2015 at 05:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.