Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

The sad part about Custer is "Pneumonia is blamed for killing 80 percent of the bighorn sheep in Custer State Park."

This has moved around the Southwest over the last several decades unfortunately. Usually caused by some interaction with domestic animals... Canyonlands population survived, only because of the unique geography and remoteness/inaccessibility to domestic sheep herders.

Jul 25, 2015 at 08:06 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

+1 @ Custer State Park or Yellowstone.

I've heard (wasn't able to route that way) that there's an area en route to the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone that is supposed to be well populated (forget the name, something with "Bear" in it, iirc).

Jul 29, 2015 at 08:28 AM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

Thats coming in on Beartooth Highway - Just that drive is worth the trip.

Gerard

Jul 29, 2015 at 01:21 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

Thank you once more, everyone! I really appreciate this. I'm not sure I'll make it all the way to Yellowstone this summer - and I kind of want to see it in winter... but Custer is someplace we went as kids, so it's a contender for sure. There are cool places right here in Nebraska as well, especially in the north and northwest. We shall see....

Jul 29, 2015 at 02:05 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

Think about how much time you want to spend traveling and any logistics with regard to your gear. Alaska can be gotten to with inexpensive flights to Anchorage and there are many places within one hour by float plane or by car with wildlife.

Banff is another area that is good in August though air travel is a little more involved. I usually fly into Calgary and rent a vehicle there. Jasper is another place to spend time if going to Banff area.

State Forest State Park in Colorado and the nearby Rocky Mountain NP are a good adventure too and close to major airports.

In August in places like Wyoming you are getting into the hunting season for the bison and elk killers so check this out in advance when going into a wildlife area, even a refuge (National Elk Refuge at Jackson Hole has active hunting from mid-August to mid-January).

Aug 03, 2015 at 07:14 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

Thanks for this and the heads up about the hunters.

Aug 12, 2015 at 01:43 PM
hnilsson
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Where to go for nature/wildlife in August?

Yellowstone - if you can stand all the people -- and if you can find a place to stay. Same goes for Grand Teton.

Aug 15, 2015 at 09:49 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.