Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Tripods - Aluminum or Carbon Fiber ?

Craig Gillette
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tripods - Aluminum or Carbon Fiber ?

rw11 wrote:
anybody know the frequency of the vibrations to be dampened for a camera mirror & shutter?

There are some tripod comparisons on Dpreview that include vibration images. Don't recall just how they did it but it might be a place to look. I'm going to guess but not sure that it isn't going to vary. The camera body may have it's own resonant frequencies and that may or may not match up to those in the mirror or shutter movements. There may also be different resonant frequencies in the tripods so maybe the leg length makes a difference. I know for some mechanical applications a lead blanket sort of thing is used to damp noise. Draping one over a camera and tripod might really kill vibrations quickly. OTOH, not likely to be a popular carry along accessory.

Jul 21, 2015 at 11:25 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tripods - Aluminum or Carbon Fiber ?

An old trick used with super telephoto lenses is to rest a hand on the top of the lens to put downward pressure and dampen the motion and it does help.

For outdoors I prefer my Gitzo 2531LVL as I can move to a new spot and in 5 seconds the tripod is level - helps with stills and when panning and it is a favorite tripod of wildlife videographers. It has three sections so faster to set up than a 4 section.

I have returned CF tripods that were rated for 40 or more pounds but when I set them up and pressed down on the base plate I could see the legs flexing to the side. No such problems with any of my Gitzo CF tripods.

I recently bought a Giottos 9313 aluminum tripod and it is not particularly heavy at 4.8 lbs. and it extends up to 66" without the center column extended. I needed something taller to photograph birds high up in the trees and needed the extra height. As it is not a situation that arises all that often I did not want to spend 5x as much to get a Gitzo CF tripod.

Jul 23, 2015 at 05:46 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.