FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

A week or so ago I went to Jasper. It was a glorious day I chose - unfortunately - because there was not a cloud in the sky for sunrise. Same as the last time I went there.

Here are my best of my pictures of Edith Cavel.

Comments and feedback are appreciated.

Scott
1-3 of 3

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:07 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

1. Lovely composition and shot draws you in and leads you into the mountain, I'd like to see the shadows lifted a little though.

2. Great shot ! Wonderful reflections and detail, love the mirroring.

3. Sorry Scott, this one doesn't do anything for me and there seems to be a green tinge all over the lake (which seems out of place) and the foreground trees (right of the main tree) are lacking in detail and contrast compared to the rest of the scene.

Cheers
Kevin

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:17 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

Frogfish wrote:
1. Lovely composition and shot draws you in and leads you into the mountain, I'd like to see the shadows lifted a little though.

2. Great shot ! Wonderful reflections and detail, love the mirroring.

3. Sorry Scott, this one doesn't do anything for me and there seems to be a green tinge all over the lake (which seems out of place) and the foreground trees (right of the main tree) are lacking in detail and contrast compared to the rest of the scene.

Cheers
Kevin

Thanks Kevin: I think I spent too much time on 3 shooting and stitching and processing and cropping and got lost in the effort. I agree.

I will look at the shadows in 1. I purposefully darkened this HDR/single image blend in the shadows but I must have gone to far.

Thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:28 PM
harland
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

Nice shots Scott. Looks like Ghost Glacier isn't there any longer. I look forward to that hike, it's fun listening to the glacier crack early in the morning.
Darryl

Jul 24, 2015 at 02:23 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

Hey Scott!
I agree with Kevin on all images here, good work.

Andrey

Jul 24, 2015 at 03:54 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

harland: A whole lot of the Glacier came down a couple of years ago and fell in the little lake below causing a hugh wave of water through the parking lot and lots of damage. Its a different place now. But it still is a great place. Glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

lionking: Thanks for the confirmation of Kevin feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 24, 2015 at 04:28 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

I really like your first image! Another possible change to that photo would be to crop in from the right hand side a bit (e.g., to almost where the diagonal rock is). Just a thought.
Keith W.

Jul 25, 2015 at 02:01 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

kwilliam8 wrote:
I really like your first image! Another possible change to that photo would be to crop in from the right hand side a bit (e.g., to almost where the diagonal rock is). Just a thought.
Keith W.

Thanks Keith - I will look at your suggestion but I think I need to go back and hope for some clouds for interest. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 26, 2015 at 02:45 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

Hey Scott,

#1 is my favorite here, myself I like the darker shadows in this, it helps to removed that HDR tell tale feel. Cropping a little off the right would be nice as Keith suggests, but I don't know how you do it as you have no real headroom at the top, and none at the bottom. #3 doesn't work for me with the processing. That would be a great one to ditch the HDR and just process normally as I like the composition.

Jim

Jul 28, 2015 at 01:01 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

Scott Stoness wrote:
harland: A whole lot of the Glacier came down a couple of years ago and fell in the little lake below causing a hugh wave of water through the parking lot and lots of damage. Its a different place now. But it still is a great place. Glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

_______
Yup, the road was closed going up to the lake when I was there in 2013. Scott, did you use a tripod for that 1/80 sec shot?

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

Nice work. Still enjoy your more documentary approach to landscape. Very nice.

Jul 29, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Edith Cavel Mountain - Jasper Park

JimFox: Thanks - glad you like 1. I have a bit more space but not a lot. But I am going to go back and try for clouds. I agree that 3 is to garish - it is 5 portraits hdd'd and stitched . I will do some experimenting with cropping and then decide whether its worth reworking. Much appreciated. Scott.

dalite: All on tripod. It is just force of habit and permits perfect alignment for blending and aeb.

Mark Metternich: Hmmm - your comment (documentary approach to landscape) does capture my style. I like a bit of artistic (good rule of 1/3's) but really clean vista's. Never thought I had style. Thanks for the observation and encouragement. Scott

Jul 30, 2015 at 07:28 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.