Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Golf Tournament

Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golf Tournament

I will cover a golf tournament next week.
Can you give me some advices on how to cover and follow the golfers?
Do we have to go through the 18 holes? Or the last 4-5 holes
will be fine?

Any advices and/or comments will be appreciated.

thanks
Joshua.

Edited on Jul 15, 2015 at 11:12 AM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:28 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golf Tournament

It depends on the event. I covered an event last month for a private tournament (insurance company) and they flew in two LPGA pros so I mostly tagged along them.

Ask the event planner what they need or expect, if they give you carte blanche, stick by the last few holes.

Shoot long, don't get in the way. They expect you to be professional, especially in posh places like golf courses.

If you need to take team photos (they are can be requested for gifting later. I sometimes need to print and frame on site) I suggest you do them all before while they're warming up at the range, or at hole # where you can politely ask them to form up for a quick shot and then they keep on playing. My preference is on before, because if you wait by hole 18 those who played like garbage will have long faces

Network the hell out of this too. With the golf course manager, the event planner if its an outside organizer, etc. Bring brochures and cards to leave with the golf manager.

Good luck and have fun

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golf Tournament

any more advices?
please

Jul 19, 2015 at 11:56 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golf Tournament

I've shot quite a few fund raiser golf events for some big names. All of mine required shooting foursome photos, Action & the post event dinner. Here's what I do.... Bring my 5x7 dye sub printer & laptop. Get a cart from the starter... Normally these events have a shotgun start. I drive the course in reverse and shoot a team shot of each group when I run into them. I did these with an on camera flash, posed them with a nice view (these are always on high-end courses, so not a problem getting a nice background). I kept a 300 2.8 for candid course shots in the cart... It normally takes me 2 hours to get all the team shots. When I get back to the clubhouse, I download and print a 5x7 for each player and put them into a bi-fold frame that I had made with the tournament logo. With this workflow, you'll have all the prints done and waiting for the golfers when they get done.... Time permitting I may go back out on the course for more candids/sponsor shots. At the end of the event, I burn a CD for the client, give them and invoice and be on my way....

Don't know if this was the advise you were looking for....

Ralph

Jul 19, 2015 at 08:12 PM
kwkodiak
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golf Tournament

Joshua, are you covering a PGA event (Canadian Open) or a charity/private tournament?

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:49 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golf Tournament

Yah I guess my questions would also start with is this a pro tourney or a work / charity type thing?

One thing to keep in mind, if this is not a pro event YOU need to be picky about shots you print / put on display. Golf have a unique way of making people look very un-athletic and sometimes downright goofy......

My company tourney is a fine example of this. There are a few of us who golf every week (Men and women), however the ones who only golf once a year at this often times complain about how bad they look in the pictures......

Juts have an eye for weird looking poses ect......

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golf Tournament

Kwkodiak
yes I will cover the RBC Canadian Open

is there specific things to deal with when covering Pro tournament?

Edited on Jul 21, 2015 at 08:30 PM · View previous versions

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:28 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Golf Tournament

thanks Trevorma for those advices.

Jul 21, 2015 at 08:30 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Golf Tournament

Joshua J. Ahern wrote:
Kwkodiak
yes I will cover the RBC Canadian Open

is there specific things to deal with when covering Pro tournament?

A couple of things to think about...

Don't fire your shutter during a player's back swing unless you're 100ft+ away (ie, on a 600mm). You might be able to get away with it a little closer with a silent shutter and a loud crowd though. Feel free to burst away at 10fps during the downswing and after the player makes contact with the ball. If you're really clever considering renting a sound blimp for your body carrying your 14-24 or 24-70.

In general, be especially quiet around putting greens. Long lenses are king here. If you have a 200-400, this the time to pull it out. 400, 500, and 600 primes are good too.

When walking down fairways you don't always have to follow the pedestrian paths the crowds take. Sometimes you can get inside the ropes for a better shot. Ask the guys who have shot at that course where you can and can't get closer, but definitely don't wander into a fairway unless you know you have permission to.

When a player hits a shot into the rough in a large crowd this the time to let your ultra-wide lens shine. Get in close and show the crowd, the player, and the unusual place he/she is playing from. These shots tend to be really popular, especially if it is of a big name player.

Golf a game of eye lines. Be careful never to be directly in a player's eye line, especially on the tee box and putting green. Be aware that the eye line the player is concerned about is not only the forward one where he is aiming, but also the one directly behind the player, where the club travels on the back swing. If you're on a 600mm far away this isn't as big a deal, but be very careful about selecting a spot to shoot from if you're putting a 14-24 in their face during a shot.

Be ready to haul a lot of gear all day long. Any pro event means covering just the last few holes isn't going to cut it. Get to know which holes and players are popular, so you can bounce around. At the least you'll want two bodies and a 24-70 + a 200-400. Ideally three bodies, with a 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, and something long, like the 200-400 or 400/2.8. And don't forget a monopod.

Jul 21, 2015 at 09:03 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Golf Tournament

Thank you very much Jake: i appreciate!

Jul 22, 2015 at 05:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Golf Tournament

Hope you don't mind if I jump in on this for a question or two also.

I have a potential to cover a fundraiser. Obviously, a different matter from the Pro event.

My first question is about "silent shutter". I may rent a body (shooting Canon glass) for the event that has a silent shutter feature. What should I know in real world terms about how effective / limiting the silent shutter feature is?

It will be a shotgun start, so I also thought about a reverse course approach, but thought I might cherry-pick about 4-5 holes to leapfrog for scenery / lighting, after a study of the course. There will be a morning & afternoon session, so those holes could change accordingly.

How do you handle left handed vs. right handed golfers? I don't see you racing across the fairway for a southpaw. Is there a strategy / technique approach that provides good accommodation (and how that might relate to using a silent shutter). Is it prudent to inquire of the group who might be left-handed as a way of letting them know that you will be repositioning between tee shots ... or do you just shoot from afar and the lefties are outa luck?

Maybe a book / article / link on the subject?

TIA

Jul 23, 2015 at 05:51 AM
petereoin
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Golf Tournament

I cover European tour events and agree with the information provided by JakeB17.

With media accreditation there is no issue with shooting inside the ropes, following
the players down the fairway, green and tee box.

The only additional information I would give is choose your gear wisely, walking all day for four day carrying 2.8 lens is not easy. A long lens is essential, but would opt for a 4.0 lens for the weight difference.

Aug 04, 2015 at 02:51 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.