New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

Vcize
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

I originally posted this in the critiques section but it was suggested that I add it here since you guys will have better insight with regards to these two cameras specifically.

I have a Nikon D750 and D800e. I was attempting to run an ISO test on the two, but I can't put my finger on why the two came out with such a different color balance.

Photo is viewable here

Here was my method:

Put D750 with 14mm rokinon on tripod, focus. Shoot manual, f2.8, 30sec, ISO12800. Then I removed the D750 and replaced it with the D800e, attached the same lens to it without moving the focus, and also set it to f2.8, 30sec, ISO12800.

Now, I did accidentally leave the white balance on auto. However, since these were both shot in RAW I was able to adjust that in Lightroom. Both white balances were set to a temp of 4150 and tint of +14 in Lightroom.

Why are the colors so different? The D800e (right side) has a much stronger yellow/orange tint to it than the D750 (again, same lens) almost as if the white balance were warmer, but the white balance has been set to the same now. Is it normal to see such a vast difference in colors between two similar cameras?

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:45 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

I don't know if this much difference is normal, but I am not surprised. However I always calibrate a new camera with the x-rite Color checker. You can make a dual temp custom profile for each camera using a Lightroom add-in from x-rite. It does make a difference and is worth doing.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:07 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

Although counterintuitive, setting the same WB temperature and tint in a raw processor may not produce identical colors between different camera models, esp because of unique color profiles supplied by the raw processor. You'll have to manually adjust the WB for each photo individually. Short of that you should get more comparable results between the two if you use some the Nikon-emulated profiles supplied in LR, such as the Camera Neutral profile. You can also try processing the images in Nikon's Capture NX-D.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:37 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

snapsy wrote:
Although counterintuitive, setting the same WB temperature and tint in a raw processor may not produce identical colors between different camera models, esp because of unique color profiles supplied by the raw processor. You'll have to manually adjust the WB for each photo individually. Short of that you should get more comparable results between the two if you use some the Nikon-emulated profiles supplied in LR, such as the Camera Neutral profile. You can also try processing the images in Nikon's Capture NX-D.

Is that specific to Lightroom/post processing? If I had set the WB the same in each camera would I have run into the same issue?

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:01 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

Vcize wrote:
Is that specific to Lightroom/post processing? If I had set the WB the same in each camera would I have run into the same issue?

Yes, you'd have the same issue, at least when processed in ACR/LR/third-party processor. Nikon's software might matched them better.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:10 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

While I consider it a must-have accessory anyway, I suggest you buy an X-Rite Colorchecker Passport. Especially with 2 cameras, it will make your processing life much easier. You simply create custom profiles for each camera under the same lighting, and they will always look the same when you select those individual profiles in ACR or Lightroom. Just setting the same settings in photoshop with 2 completely different cameras won't guarantee the same result.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:13 AM
aut0maticdan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 and D800E very different color casts

These are also very high ISO shots and different sensors have different color to the noise. You can try testing again at ISO during the day, but you may still notice some differences in LR. There does seem to be a difference between the camera calibration as others have mentioned.

Jul 14, 2015 at 07:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.