Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

Rob573
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

Before getting my Canon 5DS and 5DSR I bought 4 Vivitar batteries for my Canon EOS 5D Mark III and 5D Mark II and tried these with both my 5DS and 5DSR cameras...all 4 Vivitar batteries were recognized AS Canon batteries in all bodies and communicated perfectly with all bodies (showing charge and actuations).
All of these batteries charged in the NEW Canon Chargers that came with the new 5DS and 5DSR

Jul 15, 2015 at 06:43 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

molson wrote:
Unfortunately, it happens a little too often, out in the real world...

So by "out in the real world" you mean not on the rez? Hmmmmmm.

Jul 15, 2015 at 07:58 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

15Bit wrote:
Very much so, and i doubt many folk realise how low the chances are given the sensationalist reporting that happens every time a battery goes boom.

Globally, hundreds of millions of lithium batteries are produced annually, and a large proportion of these are recharged daily or at least every second day. So considering the total number of batteries that are in circulation, we must be talking about billions of battery charges per day worldwide. Of those, how many actually catch fire / explode etc? A few tens, a few hundred? It's nothing. The percentages are miniscule - you are about
...Show more

I never win the lottery, and I know of no one being hit by a falling satellite, so your statement seems absurd, given the very large number of injuries and even some deaths from battery fires. I did have a camera melted down by a defective Li-On battery. USPS has banned them being sent internationally, including products containing them. UPS now requires a large label warning that a Li-On battery or product containing one is inside.

They did not just dream up the issue as some would think. Rules and much more stringent tests for batteries have been put in place because of the risk.

As the use of Li-on batteries skyrockets, there will be more and more accidents.

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:39 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

scalesusa wrote:
I never win the lottery, and I know of no one being hit by a falling satellite, so your statement seems absurd,

Thats kind of the point - the chances of a Li battery failing in an explosive fashion are absurdly small. That's not to say it doesn't happen, nor that when it does happen it isn't serious. It is serious, because these things store a lot of energy. What i'm trying to point out is that every day everyone you know carries around a large amount of energy stored in batteries which basically enable our modern lifestyles, and for most people these failures are anecdotal. For something that is ubiquitous, made on a scale of hundreds of millions per year, this sort of failure rate is a miracle of materials science.

As the use of Li-on batteries skyrockets, there will be more and more accidents.

The use of Li-ion batteries already skyrocketed. It's now going stratospheric. And yes there will be more accidents, but i predict the accident per battery statistic will continue to fall.

Of course, there *is* a risk that you will die or be injured by a failed battery, and the only way to avoid it is to not have them. So feel free to give up your smartphone, laptop, camera etc. You *will* be safer, just not by any significantly measurable amount. There are many stronger risk factors in your life (your diet, driving to work, crossing the road etc) which you could instead choose to focus your energies on, and which will give you a statistically better outcome.

Jul 16, 2015 at 03:19 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

There is a implied tone here that 3rd party batteries are somehow less safe than the OEM ones. The biggest publicized issues of these batteries failing were OEM ones (Boeing, Sony etc.). While there are varying issues like cameras recognizing and reporting power levels, amount of charge they hold relative to the OEM ones etc., safety hasn't been the issue from what I can gather.

Jul 16, 2015 at 03:40 AM
bboule
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

I bought a handful of 3rd party batteries for my original 5D.. I felt like I got ripped off by the 3rd party battery manufacturers so I have not tried any 3rd party batteries for either my 5D3 or my EOS M. I had eventually bought a 2nd OEM Canon battery for the 5D. Both that one and the original one with the camera were still going strong years later while I had a handful of useless 3rd party batteries relatively quickly.

The problem with the 3rd party batteries IME was their ability to take a charge degraded vastly faster than the Canon ones. Like 10x faster. And they weren't 10x cheaper.

I only have 2 batteries for my 5D3. I've never, ever come close to needing more. The only way I could see needing more is if I was shooting sports for a living or going way off the beaten path for landscape photography where no power to recharge would be available for days on end. 2000 pictures is about what I shoot in a 2 week trip. Plenty of time to recharge batteries in a 2 week period.

Jul 16, 2015 at 10:59 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

The issue with third party battery safety is one of QA. Some of them are sold by reputable manufacturers, but many are rebranded batteries with a custom label applied by parties unknown.

I have a business, and import products with my label on them. You cannot tell who made them. If I wanted, I could do the same with batteries, but my knowledge of the tactics used by the low cost manufacturers keeps me from even thinking of it. Some of them make products in a back alley, and move from location to location as the authorities try to catch up with them. They do not care about safety, they just want to make a quick buck from the rich foreigners.

The problem is that we can't tell which is which, so we rely on the brand name.

Those same guys will put any brand on the products wanted, including Canon. I've learned who produces quality products over the years, but occasionally, I get junk. At least, its not unsafe junk.

Jul 16, 2015 at 01:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

scalesusa wrote:
The issue with third party battery safety is one of QA. Some of them are sold by reputable manufacturers, but many are rebranded batteries with a custom label applied by parties unknown.

I have a business, and import products with my label on them. You cannot tell who made them. If I wanted, I could do the same with batteries, but my knowledge of the tactics used by the low cost manufacturers keeps me from even thinking of it. Some of them make products in a back alley, and move from location to location as the authorities try to catch up
...Show more

I feel the same way. I used to get third-party batteries, and then I realized that while I might get a good one, I'm as likely or more so to get batteries that don't work, that hold less than a full charge, or that work poorly in a range of ways.

The small savings on batteries is simply not worth the costs of finding myself without reliable power.

Dan

Jul 16, 2015 at 01:46 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Bower Batteries - Canon is Sneaky ? :)

I agree with you Dan.

The Canon batteries have been reliable for me and worth the extra cost in the long run. I want the battery to be reliable when I am out in the field taking photos.

Jul 16, 2015 at 01:55 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.