New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

soupcxan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

I'm in the market for a flash, is an update of the SB-700 expected anytime soon? I would hate to purchase it and then a week later the SB-701 comes out and is way better.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:27 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

Not even a hint of a rumor that I have seen, and they are relatively inexpensive, so if you need a flash now I would get it if you will otherwise be missing photo opportunities.

The SB600 was replaced after ~6 years, the SB700 is currently on it's 5th year of service. If history repeats itself, you have at least another year to wait. Beyond that it's anyone's guess.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:38 PM
VTXT
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

Whatever changes they make on the SB-700 successor will NOT be way better than the SB-700. It will be small incremental changes. Unless Nikon decides to integrate radios into the flash units just like Canon. But then even with built in radios, controlling the remote flashes will be SO MUCH easier with pocket wizards/TT-5 and an AC3 controller.

If you want way better, you need to get a SB-910.

I guess bottom line, just get the SB-700 now, you won't be missing out on anything.

Jul 13, 2015 at 03:08 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

SB-700 is a solid flash. Also you can get a cheaper flash as well if you don't mind an off brand.

I love my SB 700.

Jul 13, 2015 at 05:54 PM
story_teller
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

If this is your first flash I would say the SB-700 would be fine. You could, as an alternative, look for used SB-900's as well. The SB-900 would be a bit less costly and provide more features and flash power.

Jul 13, 2015 at 06:23 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

Look for a used one, they pop up pretty frequently on the Buy and Sell board, and I've never had a problem with any of the used flash units I've purchased. Even if they do get updated you'll find many who are still very happy using a SB 800.

Jul 13, 2015 at 06:25 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

I find the 700 a little annoying cause of how it does the BL metering when you're not in spot metering in your camera.

If you buy a used one check that the battery terminals are clean, maybe the 700 isn't old enough, but the SB-28's I buy sometimes show up with nasty terminals and have issues resetting to full power during a shoot.

Jul 14, 2015 at 04:24 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

It's a great flash, but after comparing, I really prefer the extra power of the SB-910. They show up on the forum often. I know it's more money and larger, but it's an amazing flash. A used SB-900 would be a better price.

Jul 14, 2015 at 09:43 PM
kcartwright27
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is it ok to buy a SB-700

I have a SB-700 and i have some of the off brand models too. I can tell you I like my $40 yongnuo manual flash and my $100 full iTTL yongnuo flash just as much..

dont fret about the whole new model release thing. it will happen and you will be fine when it does :-) just get something and start using and learning it..
I have this iTTL model and it has been awesome.. especially at $100 shipped
yongnuo nikon flash

Love my sb700 as well.. grab something and have fun

Jul 14, 2015 at 09:47 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.