New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I just received an email from Nikon which offers free Maintenance for my D800 with free shipping label. Wondering how many have received similar freebie? If so, what the product is for?

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM
aerie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I also recieved the same e-mail for the D800. I called Nikon and they asked me to send them a screen shot of it.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

Thats a clever hack.

have people send their cameras to a traceable address...

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I got one too, but no longer have the D800 anyway. All the links in the e-mail do point to the nikonusa site.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I got an email for the free service, it was for a D800 which I no longer own. It seems legit, email is sent from a nikon address, links go to a nikon site, and it's automatically pulling information from my previous nikon registration.

however, assuming it is legit, I don't know that I'd do it anyways. if it ain't broke why take a risk of shipping damage, etc. but that's just me. if I REALLY needed a cleaning beyond just sensor cleaning, I suppose its a pretty good deal.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:47 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I no longer own the below referenced camera anyway.

Dear Craig,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to participate in Nikon Inc.’s Free Maintenance Service Initiative for your Nikon D800E camera, Serial No. 3000xxx.

Why is Nikon providing this Free Maintenance Service Initiative to you? Because as a valued Nikon DSLR camera owner, Nikon wants to learn more from you about how Nikon can better meet the needs and preferences of its DSLR owners concerning the service of its Nikon DSLR cameras. We hope that you will take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service Initiative and will also help us by completing the Nikon Consumer Service Survey at Take Survey Here.

What will this Free Maintenance Service include? This Free Maintenance Service will include the free inspection of your camera and its operation by a Nikon trained technician and if Nikon’s trained technician identifies any service necessary or desirable to perform on your Nikon D800E camera, we will perform that service free of charge to you (excluding normal warranty exclusions such as misuse, abuse, alteration, negligence or accident). We will also clean and return your Nikon D800E camera at no charge to you.

How do you take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service Initiative? You can take advantage of this Free Maintenance Service by sending your Nikon D800E camera to us using the prepaid shipping label, available at Print Label Here, together with a printed copy of the below Free Maintenance Service Initiative Certificate, before January 15, 2016.

Barring any unique circumstances, you can expect your Nikon D800E camera returned to you in about five (5) to six (6) business days after our receipt.

Thank you for being a valued Nikon DSLR camera owner and participating in Nikon’s Free Maintenance Service Initiative.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:53 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

Using real names, etc. is usually a good indicator that it isn't a scam, but I'd definitely call (and, of course verify the shipping address is an actual Nikon service center).

I carry insurance on my equipment, too...

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:08 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

M635_Guy wrote:
Using real names, etc. is usually a good indicator that it isn't a scam, but I'd definitely call (and, of course verify the shipping address is an actual Nikon service center).

I carry insurance on my equipment, too...

But does it cover giving the camera away?

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:25 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I would never put an expensive camera in the hands of a postal service or courier "just because". The way those packages get treated would shock a lot of people, even though most of the time nothing happens, I would bet that is how many of the "impact damage" reports come to be. Or maybe something happens on the way back to you, and now your camera needs another calibration or service.

If the prepaid shipping label has a Nikon service center address on it, it's probably legit (you could also call the courier to confirm the waybill is active and legit, as well as Nikon). I'm not sure how else someone could scam you out of your camera other than a fake delivery address. They would have to be sitting outside the Nikon service center abducting packages (or working for the courier), which someone could potentially do anytime, and without the trouble of creating fake email. That actually happened to Lens Rentals Canada - someone at Canada Post figured out what was being shipped (pretty obvious), and started stealing the big heavy packages...

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:55 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

Nikon and FREE do not go together!!!

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:20 PM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

Where's the link to print the label point to?

DGC1 wrote:

My free D610 replacement gets here this week...

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:35 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

Got one too. Smells like a silent recall to me.

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:59 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

DGC1 wrote:

Not true! Nikon Canada doesn't charge you for storage for the 6-8 weeks it typically takes then to service a camera...

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:59 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

Braineack wrote:
Where's the link to print the label point to?

My free D610 replacement gets here this week...

Your "free" D610 is the gift bestowed to you by many frustrated and angry D600 owners who were in the process of taking Nikon to a class action after Nikon's denial of the issue for more than a year. Nikon's decision to replace D600 for free is that the potential class action would be Nikon's biggest PR disaster. It aint free.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

you know its real simple to resolve the FUD. its a simple telephone call.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:06 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I guess Nikon wants to inspect any possible issues with your out-of-warranty D800 for free first so that it can recommend remedies to bring your D800 back to its factory standard. I am sure Nikon's got 20% discount code for those who want to have their gear serviced at service centers.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:10 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

mshi wrote:
I guess Nikon wants to inspect any possible issues with your out-of-warranty D800 for free first so that it can recommend remedies to bring your D800 back to its factory standard. I am sure Nikon's got 20% discount code for those who want to have their gear serviced at service centers.

"This Free Maintenance Service will include the free inspection of your camera and its operation by a Nikon trained technician and if Nikon’s trained technician identifies any service necessary or desirable to perform on your Nikon D800E camera, we will perform that service free of charge to you"

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:12 PM
Jay968
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

I don't understand why you guys are sitting around discussing whether this is legit or not and not just giving Nikon a call and asking them first hand it it's legit.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:25 PM
Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

The email not only had my name, but also the camera serial#. Not sure how scammers could get that info, but I'll do due-diligence before sending it in.

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:26 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Free Maintenance Service from Nikon

CanadaMark wrote:
"This Free Maintenance Service will include the free inspection of your camera and its operation by a Nikon trained technician and if Nikon’s trained technician identifies any service necessary or desirable to perform on your Nikon D800E camera, we will perform that service free of charge to you"

i hope that includes the well-known D800 fractured frame issue caused by the so-called "impact damage".

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.