• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

Jul 15, 2015 at 06:22 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

I have had some Velvia in my freezer since 2001. I don't think I will ever shoot it. The camera I used to shoot film with is still on my shelf, but I have no glass for it any longer (EOS 1n) as I switched systems. My F3HP has bad light seals and I don't feel like fixing that a relic. So, basically, I am done with film.

I never really liked film and now that I can make anything I shoot look like it, I don't really care for the "experience" of shooting film (such as paying $10 for processing and then wasting hours on the scanner to be able to do anything with the results in the year 2015). back when art directors still demanded a drum scan from a transparency and sneered when you said it was shot on a digital body, I used to spend several thousand dollars a year on film and processing. Don't really mind that that stuff has dropped from my photo budget.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

panos.v wrote:
Yet here we are 13 years later in 2015 still talking, buying and using film. What is amazing is that Kodak is still here even when senior management didn't believe in their own products and tried real hard to kill their own company all the way back to 2002 and beyond.

The retird VP mentioned that he disagreed with the traditional business path that the CEO was taking Kodak on, and he said he retired and cashed out while the thingy still looked seemingly rosy for Kodak. You may still shoot film today but he was right, undoubtedly.

Kodak has become a footnote while Fuji has shut down its European film factory and significantly reduced its film production center in China and it's in the process of closing down entirely. Fuji has quietly tried to distant itself from film. And its home film factory is running by a skeleton crew. It's just a matter of days now.

Edited on Jul 15, 2015 at 12:00 PM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM
architect7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

Though I haven't shot film in over a decade I am very happy to see Fuji still makes Pro 400H. That is easily the best negative film I have ever used and easily scans to over 45mp, amazing resolving power.

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:59 AM
DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

It's not so much the price of the film, but the processing and scanning, that is hard for me. However, I realize the folks doing it need to make a living too, so I just chalk it up to the price of entertainment.

My Rolleiflex 2.8E is in Harry Fleenor's hands right now and should be back in time for my Grand Canyon trip in 3 weeks. I look forward to shooting with it and will probably also take my recently acquired Canonet QL17 for 35mm fun. Digital will still be my go-to for the trip, but I'm really liking how film make me slow down and think about clicking the shutter, especially since it's $2 per click.

Question... Has anyone tried Ilford's film processing and scanning for B&W? I know I could learn to process it myself, but I'd still have to invest in equipment for scanning. I've tried a local company that I wasn't completely impressed with and one in Alabama that gave me good results. I'm just wanting to figure out my best options since I plan to shoot my old cameras a lot more in the coming year.

Jul 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

pburke wrote:
I have had some Velvia in my freezer since 2001. I don't think I will ever shoot it. The camera I used to shoot film with is still on my shelf, but I have no glass for it any longer (EOS 1n) as I switched systems. My F3HP has bad light seals and I don't feel like fixing that a relic. So, basically, I am done with film.

I never really liked film and now that I can make anything I shoot look like it, I don't really care for the "experience" of shooting film (such as paying $10 for processing
...Show more

I agree with you and will happily dispose of your film. As long as it is either 35mm or 120/220.

Jul 15, 2015 at 04:03 PM
Katjubu

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

Not surprised but having recently bought a Nikon N80 I'm a little sad. Plus the history.

Edited on Jul 18, 2015 at 03:46 PM · View previous versions

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:19 PM
raboof
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Film -- Higher prices and less variety

I recently gave monobath a try to see if this will help with the time consuming process of developing B&W film. I am not doing anything serious since this is just a hobby. Took me about 30 mins total (not counting the drying process). I usually do this at night so just let the film dried overnight. I am pretty satisfying with the whole process so far.

Jul 18, 2015 at 07:14 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.