FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

These insects look rather fearsome, with their antennae extended, rather like a scorpion's claws. However, this is all bravado. This species is a vegetarian. Known as the Dock Bug or Squash bug, it is the only one of the family readily found. I have several of them on my rhubarb leaves, at any time, throughout the summer.

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/6349/squashbug-coreus-marginatus-or-dock-bug/

The adult was the very first subject I used to try out my Printing Nikkor 105mm 1:1.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1287854

A last instar nymph was the test subject for my Leitz Summar 12cm 4.5, with 230mm extension on my EP-2, with manual, calibrated flash.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1343709

So this bug has been a subject at important moments.

These two instars have again been captured by the Printing Nikkor (FOV 17.5mm), with TTL RC, off-camera, diffused flash.

The close crops of the early instar were with the reversed Schneider HM 40 setup, with the same flash regime. There were two individuals, which looked identical to the naked eye, and present on the same leaf at the same time. However, one (first image)has come out in much more contrasty colours than the other one. This suggests it has recently moulted.

First, the youngest. I know the light sometimes looks harsh but it was diffused for all images and these insects are shiny at some angles. The low magnification shots of the younger ones are not as hoped but give an idea of how these vey active insects appear in habitat.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Edited on Jul 13, 2015 at 12:35 AM · View previous versions

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:18 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

And now the half-grown ones.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:23 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

Interesting series Harold.
The flash still looks far too harsh to me even if it is diffused already.
Brian v.

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:07 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

LordV wrote:
Interesting series Harold.
The flash still looks far too harsh to me even if it is diffused already.
Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

The flash is identical to that used in all my recent images so there is nowhere much to go with it. Theoretically, I could adjust angles a bit according to reviewed images but the subject will have moved on and changed angles within seconds.

Harold

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:16 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

e6filmuser wrote:
Thanks, Brian.

The flash is identical to that used in all my recent images so there is nowhere much to go with it. Theoretically, I could adjust angles a bit according to reviewed images but the subject will have moved on and changed angles within seconds.

Harold

I realise that but surely you could add more diffusion ?

Brian v.

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:58 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

LordV wrote:
I realise that but surely you could add more diffusion ?

Brian v.

I think the problem is that, to maintain reasonably even lighting across the subject at high magnification, I sometimes place the main gun +/- centrally, pointing downwards. This is because the fill hasn't done its job properly, being too far away. I notice that it had been switched to wide angle, now put back onto narrow beam. If that is not enough, a snoot may be required.

The central main light source is probably the cause of reflections back to the lens off shiny subjects. I need to get back to the 45 degree directional lighting from both sides of the camera, always the case for the fill light. This will need more light intensity from the fill light. A second half kilo gun is out of the question.

I am not looking for studio style, completely even lighting, as such images, to me, look like studio shots.

Harold

Jul 13, 2015 at 03:10 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

e6filmuser wrote:
I think the problem is that, to maintain reasonably even lighting across the subject at high magnification, I sometimes place the main gun +/- centrally, pointing downwards. This is because the fill hasn't done its job properly, being too far away. I notice that it had been switched to wide angle, now put back onto narrow beam. If that is not enough, a snoot may be required.

The central main light source is probably the cause of reflections back to the lens off shiny subjects. I need to get back to the 45 degree directional lighting from both sides of the
...Show more

On further consideration, I am putting two unused items into use.

I have a stereo bar, which is supposed to be attached to a tripod and take two camera bodies with adjustable spacing supplies by two sliding tripod bushes. That is now on the straight bracket which held the fill flash out to one side and forward, the bracket now running straight ahead under the extension.

I had purchased a second copy of my fill flash as a spare. Now I can place one either side of the stereo bar, the latter having adjustable distance from the camera, as far as the end of the current extension/TC combination. Each unit can be swivelled and tilted, or switched to wide angle independently (GN20 or 12) or used singly. Their individual distance from the lens axis can be adjusted by sliding along the stereo bar. Either or both can be easily detached and stood on any convenient flat surface.

This has the potential to provide symmetrical or asymmetrical lighting intensity. Both units have the same diffusion as the fill had previously. (I was becoming concerned about the 500g unit leaning right over, suspended on its ball joint support).

If it proves successful I will post detail in the Post Your Setup Topic.

Thanks for getting me thinking.

Harold

Jul 13, 2015 at 04:56 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

More neat shots Harold ~ Ron

Jul 13, 2015 at 07:54 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Coreus marginatus , Nymphs: Bluffers

surfnron wrote:
More neat shots Harold ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

Harold

Jul 13, 2015 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.