New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

ocir
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

I'm thinking of purchasing this lens. I have read great reviews about it. Some say it spanks both Canon and Nikon equivalents in sharpness and as sharp as Zeiss and the bokeh is great. Has anyone shot with it yet? If so, thoughts?

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM
VictorSk

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

I have the lens. Sharpness wise it's top notch. I think it's on top with Zeiss 135 APO and other fellows. No chromatic aberrations. No coma. Vignetting is no issue. Optically great lens. Few things I've noticed:
1. T-stop is more 2.6 or 2.8 and not T2. It means it underexposes by 2/3~1 stop. Also I've heard at MDF it's focal length shortens a bit but I didn't care to check.
2. Manual ring is a little bit stiff. Nothing to worry about but it could be smoother.
3. The lens produces some WB shift in certain lighting conditions. I haven't seen it all the times but it's there. Still, pretty easy to correct if you shoot RAW.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:32 PM
ocir
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

Truly appreciate the response, Victor! Would it be too much to ask if you have some pics to share shot wide open?

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM
VictorSk

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

Sure:

http://s3.postimg.org/497xd6tib/VIC_2047.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/4qk58sht3/VIC_1907.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/jl8qmyrdz/VIC_1934.jpg

http://s29.postimg.org/pbyx0ozdz/VIC_2063.jpg

Cropping, color correction and few other minor tweaks. no sharpening.

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:21 PM
ocir
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

I assume these were all shot wide open? If they were, they look pretty sharp!!! Love the bokeh too. Thanks again!!!

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:40 PM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

I have read that people were having a hard time focusing with this lens. Any more difficult that any other lens that you have tried?

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:21 PM
VictorSk

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

All wide open, they are even sharper in reality, web resizing downgraded it.
I focus with dot in viewfinder hand holding and with d810 it's quite managable. Sure shooting pace will be slower with manual lens but for portraits and static shooting it shouldn't be an issue.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:49 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

Love the clear transparent look of well corrected lenses.

Jul 14, 2015 at 07:08 AM
myboostedgst
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

VictorSk wrote:
All wide open, they are even sharper in reality, web resizing downgraded it.
I focus with dot in viewfinder hand holding and with d810 it's quite managable. Sure shooting pace will be slower with manual lens but for portraits and static shooting it shouldn't be an issue.

I would be using it for static subjects, so I have plenty of time to manually focus. I just have never done it before, and since Jikkn does not have a good version of the 135 I might try this lens.

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM
ocir
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

Definitely cheaper than the Nikon DC and no need to stop down to get sharp images.

Jul 14, 2015 at 11:40 AM
VictorSk

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

I think everyone considering using this lens will be extremely satisfied. It's a great value for the money and even on absolute scale it stands with great honor. It's not just the ridiculous sharpness but the practical absence of any optical aberrations, which all together makes your images to 'pop' out of frame and provide an excellent contrast in viewfinder, making manual focusing even easier. It's not Zeiss 135 APO for all drawbacks I've mentioned earlier but it damn close , especially given the price tag.

Jul 14, 2015 at 01:00 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

VictorSk wrote:
the practical absence of any optical aberrations, which all together makes your images to 'pop' out of frame and provide an excellent contrast in viewfinder, making manual focusing even easier.

I first saw this with the sigma art 50mm. I thought manual focus with 36MP and dslr viewfinders was crazy but with this lens manually focusing for use wide open it is totally possible for the reasons you state.

Jul 14, 2015 at 03:15 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

Can you do a quick test and see what your minimum focus distance is? I'm quite curious how this would stack up against the Zeiss 100MP/2.

Oops never mind it's twice the MFD. Still with an extension tube on there it could yield stellar results. The Zeiss does have noticeable CA wide open whereas this lens seems to have nearly zero. I should just buy it and compare the two myself sometime haha

Jul 14, 2015 at 03:19 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rokinon/Samyang 135

Possible to use it for dog action?

Jul 14, 2015 at 04:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.