Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Video?

mikekeating
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Video?

Hello all,
Quick question. We are looking at making some videos of our Daughter's soccer games for college recruitment. Anyone use the video function on their SLRs for this? Or anyone recommend a decent video camera? In high school shooting from the press box and club team from the sideline.

Thanks,

Mike

Jul 12, 2015 at 04:44 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Video?

If you're a Nikon Shooter perhaps you could rent a D750 and use your glass, i've seen Fro Knows test it during a night time football game and i have to admit is wasn't half bad even at high iso.

Here's the link:

Other than that you could rent out a cam corder all together, but videography is tricky i myself have started experimenting video only very recently. Steep learning curve, difficult to choose the right camera if you need it to be a DSLR. I mean one can do superb movie like videos with a Panasonic GH4 for example but it would be hard to fit a fast lens on it for sports especially at night. Anyway go check out the D750 clip, i find it quite ok.

Jul 15, 2015 at 07:59 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Video?

How good are you at editing video, and how good is your daughter? If she's capable of landing a D1 scholarship to the school of her choice, this might be a good time to farm out the video portion to somebody who can get it done well for her, and knows what kinds of things coaches are looking for.

If it's not as big of a deal and you're familiar with the process of creating athlete videos for scholarship consideration, then disregard and carry on.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:00 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Video?

She just completed her freshman year. . .she led the team in assists and they won the state championship. Because of her age coaches can not contact her. . .they can contact us. . .she has some requests for this summer.

My son also does gymnastics so it would be good to video his routines for the grandparents.

Jul 16, 2015 at 07:47 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Video?

Thanks for posting Ray. The video was great about the D750 and its capabilities. While I do not have a D750, I have been ogling one as a possible upgrade (D610 is nice, but the higher ISO and better AF would be nicer). The cool thing is that the video can be shot from the press room, the bad news I can not be on the sidelines shooting at the same time.

Jul 16, 2015 at 08:09 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Video?

Ok Mike, so you are indeed a Nikon shooter, so at least you could use your glass, i don't know how the D610 fares for video. Like i said perhaps you could rent or borrow a D750. Now as for shooting from the press gallery since you will be at a distance a longer focal lens will be mandatory. What do you have in that respect ? 70-200, 300mm 400mm or more ? Then the last question is of course will the footage be shot during day time or at night ? I showed you the D750 clip because i naturally assumed you would be shooting at night at some point. When i was following my son in his sport (Football) 70% of the games were at nigh. I didn't have very powerful lens (70-200mm) but at least the D3s allowed me to do some cropping and shot at incredible isos.

Good luck with you videos :-)

Jul 16, 2015 at 09:13 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Video?

The majority of the games start during the day, but are under lights in the second half (normally) her club games are all during the day (of course, why make this easy). She has a tournament next month, maybe I will rent a D750 and give it a go. I am going to play around with the D610 for the video at some of her practices next week and see the quality and give me some experience.

I have the glass to shoot these (with an SLR).

Our normal video shooter just retired (i.e.: his daughter graduated) so we need to find someone to pick up things.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Video?

Lo i see maybe you'l inherit the position then :-)

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:34 PM
ssiguy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Video?

I would definitely NOT use a DSLR for sports video. Buy or rent a consumer video camera and you will be much happier. If you need a tripod, make sure you get one with a fluid head. I am a retired TV cameraman and I also shoot stills with a DSLR. There's no comparison. Go with the video camera.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Video?

Certainly a good technical advise ssiguy, thing is though we're not all cameramen, i found learning video with a dslr 1st was a smoother transition than diving in video with dedicated video cameras to start with. Already complex enough to go from one field of expertise to another. In my humble opinion of course.

Jul 16, 2015 at 01:34 PM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Video?

Mike,
I was/am in the same boat as you are now. My son is a HS senior and is a D1 prospect. I debated on hiring someone to film it for me but that can be expensive and difficult as you never know what game they should film. I thought about using my 5DIII but decided to buy a consumer JVC camcorder, $350. I also purchase Adobe Premier video and did it myself. I went with that because I later learned from college coaches that the quality of the video doesn't matter, it is the content. They almost exclusively want links to YouTube instead of a DVD sent to them. My son is a forward/striker and he gets lots of opportunities with the ball, which makes the video easier. With all the coaches we have talked with and the camps that we have gone to, the bottom line is to film the club and some HS games and prepare a soccer resume. Make sure the video is short clips, as they want quick scenes, and make sure the best content is first in the video. Send this to the colleges and go to their ID camps, this is the best way that I have found. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:17 PM
SargentRay
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Video?

Very interesting comment tmalone893, i know nothing about this, doesn't work like that here :-)

Jul 17, 2015 at 02:30 PM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Video?

Tmalone,
My daughter is at her first ID camp as we speak. She is the only about to be Sophomore.

I spent the better part of the week looking at recruitment videos on YouTube and then found the players on Facebook or other social media to see if they landed somewhere. I am kinda using their videos as a gauge to what might work.

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:53 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.