FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Befuddled........

blitzn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Befuddled........

I'm just befuddled on this one. So I'm going to the well of wisdom and experience - FM'ers.....

I always wanted to photograph some baby Common Loons. Not having much in our neighborhood in Montana, I spent a week at my wife's family camp in Maine (and I do mean camp - no electricity, water hauled from the lake, cold swimming 'baths'.... you've no doubt been to this place too!). I spent days waiting for chicks to hatch and had a great time with lots of wildlife to view. Samples below!

When on the last day a chick hatched - I had an opportunity. I had been careful all week and used the 7Dii, 600ii, and 1.4xiii and monopod from kayak to keep a fair distance. What has me befuddled is that at 7:50am I took a photograph of a King Fisher on my way to the loons (Raw files in the link below) that was sharp enough for me, but 1/2 hour later, with the loons, I took over 800 OOF shots! Not one was tack sharp (Sample in the same link). Anyone interested enough to take a look at these raws and give me an opinion a befuddled old man sure would appreciate any pointers you might have.

Granted in a few cases my SS fell to 1000, but mostly at 1600 all week I was having great success. But when it counted I got skunked....... I can imagine it could be user error, but nothing in the settings changed within the 1/2 hour.

Befuddled.......

http://1drv.ms/1GgcapZ

Thanks

Tom

© blitzn 2015

© blitzn 2015

Jul 12, 2015 at 04:11 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Befuddled........

The chick does not appear to be within the DOF of the f8 you used for the second image in the link. The same goes for the last photo which was at f4 making the situation even worse. No the first photo is quite good and the second a beauty Tom

Morris

Jul 12, 2015 at 04:53 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Befuddled........

morris wrote:
The chick does not appear to be within the DOF of the f8 you used for the second image in the link. The same goes for the last photo which was at f4 making the situation even worse. No the first photo is quite good and the second a beauty Tom

Morris

Thanks for the input Morris - I agree that on the second photo in the link the chick is OOF, but really nothing seems to be in focus to my weary old eyes. All 800+ pics of those loons, all at f8, all from one session are all OOF. I've never had that happen before!

Jul 12, 2015 at 05:03 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Befuddled........

They are slightly soft yet sharpened right up. There may have been temperature differences between where you were shooting and the birds.

If you take photos with the same lens and body now, are they sharp?

Jul 12, 2015 at 05:16 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Befuddled........

Of the ones posted above, 2 is super Tom. Did the wind pick up during your paddle. I tried using a tripod in my yak once, but any motion of the water transferred directly to my gear causing motion blur in more shots than I could tolerate ~ Ron

Jul 13, 2015 at 07:24 AM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Befuddled........

surfnron wrote:
Of the ones posted above, 2 is super Tom. Did the wind pick up during your paddle. I tried using a tripod in my yak once, but any motion of the water transferred directly to my gear causing motion blur in more shots than I could tolerate ~ Ron

Ron - the wind didn't pick up and I had good success with the monopod in the Kayak. I can pick up the whole rig and isolate it from water movement but then rest it down when needed (which is often!).

morris wrote:
They are slightly soft yet sharpened right up. There may have been temperature differences between where you were shooting and the birds.

If you take photos with the same lens and body now, are they sharp?

Morris - I did a few test shots and yes, the rig is sharp as of this morning.

I'm "declaring" all of this due to atmospheric disturbances....... it certainly couldn't be operator error could it!

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:38 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.