New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Headshots - C&C Welcomed

DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Headshots - C&C Welcomed

I'm not a pro and do this stuff as a way to relieve the stress of my day job, but I do want to improve. Most of the folks I find to photograph are young and unable to pay a pro, so the TFP works out for both of us. Aside from the other stuff we do, they often ask for headshots. My first attempts a couple years ago were miserable, but I'm getting better... I hope.

These are from a shoot a couple weeks ago and were just a small part of the overall session. We were outdoors, so I used my white diffuser as a background, which seemed to work well in a pinch. I'd welcome your comments on what I can do better the next time around. Thanks for looking!

Jul 11, 2015 at 09:55 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Headshots - C&C Welcomed

Having done hundreds of headshots professionally, I believe the second one is the best, but as headshots go, these don't quite hit the mark, unless you are using the word "headshot" as a generic term. The term headshot has a specific meaning to photographers. I assume you are trying to produce the kind of headshot that an actor would use to find work. Those have to really make an impression. The shots you posted don't stand out. The lighting is pretty flat. There is a lack of intensity. The angle seems a little low. And, they are unfinished in terms of the kind of post processing usually done. They also seem a bit hot and a bit warm. As with many things, it is hard to put it into words, but when you see a great headshot, you know it. I'm just not feeling it here. These are merely competently done images.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:53 PM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Headshots - C&C Welcomed

Well I've done some headshots, maybe not as many as the person above, but my opinion differs quite a lot. I know several working pro models, and headshots are simply about representing what the person actually looks like. They are not glamour shots, and fancy lighting is not necessary. It's the shot the agency uses to deem what this person actually looks like, so you can touch up temporary blemishes, but scars and moles and permanent skin characteristics should remain intact.

For the reasons stated, I actually prefer the 1st and last shot, maybe the last one just a tad more. The second is a bit too cutesy.

I guess it just depends (as usual) on how the person is going to use the image.

Jul 12, 2015 at 09:13 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Headshots - C&C Welcomed

Nice attempt but you didn't push yourself. She just sort of sat there. You didn't ask for much and she did not give you much. Post processing could have smoothed out her face which she needed. All the shots with the same outfit, which was rather bland. Shoot her again, change out fits, get some other expressions. Two partly parted lips shots? Why two of those and not a full smile in the bunch?

Jul 13, 2015 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.