New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Flourescent light question

capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flourescent light question

I just did a party shoot and the outdoor pictures were great but had to do a bunch of shots in the doctors office as it started to rain. All the pictures have a yellowish tinge. I got them a bit better in photoshop but is there a camera setting that I can use next time, such as changing the white balance so this doesn't happen again, I was using a flash bit it didn't help a lot. Thanks

Jul 11, 2015 at 03:50 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flourescent light question

Hi Don,

The Fluorescent setting in your White Balance menu might help.

Others will reply with more insight but for the sake of mentioning it, in this case you had a mixture of the room lighting with your flash. The flash is close to daylight temp - that's why the mfg probably provided the two snap on filters so you could adjust its output to the color temp of the ambient lighting - typically incandescent or fluorescent.

But, the matter has grown more complicated in recent years as newer technology bulbs are often mixed with older tech so the light is all confused. That's why God, in His considerable foresight, invented black and white.

Also, if you're not already shooting in RAW, consider doing so. It provides a ton more latitude in white balance correction after the fact.

Jul 11, 2015 at 04:31 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.