New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

rob christy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

I was shooting with my 1DX in a studio and it shut itself off after I took several pictures and now it won't turn back on. The battery is fully charged and tried another fully charged battery no sucess.. Tried another Hoodman card no success. Removed the lens and won't restart. Remounted the lens won't re start.The camera was not dropped and did not sustain any water damage. No obvious physical damage. Has about 250,000 actuations and has never failed.

I did some websearching of similar issues - sounds like in each case it was a replacement of a circuitboard that deals with the battery power - Part # CG2-3143-000. It was referenced by at least 3 users - maybe this is the issue.

Anyway I will send to Canon just thought someone might have had a similar problem. This is my first post to this forum. Impressed with the entire site

Rob Christy

Edited on Jul 11, 2015 at 03:08 PM · View previous versions

Jul 11, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum. I haven't had any issue at all with mine. Hope Canon can get it sorted with a minimum of fuss and cost

Jul 11, 2015 at 03:05 PM
rob christy

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Will post the repair solution and cost

Jul 11, 2015 at 03:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

When did you buy the camera, was it an early one?

EBH

Jul 11, 2015 at 03:24 PM
rob christy

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Good question. April 2013 Serial # 082012000231

I have another one that is ok and was purchased a year before in April 2012

Jul 11, 2015 at 07:31 PM
docholliday

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Serial starting with 08 should be June, 2012. Early production. Mine had a failed shutter and bad power board. The symptoms you are experiencing is the exact match to failure of the FP PCB. Gonna have to get that replaced at Canon...

Jul 11, 2015 at 09:49 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

I've had mine lock up on me but it's only happened about three times in 10,000+ shots. Each time a battery remove/replace then reboot resolved it. That hasn't happened since I installed the latest firmware update. Other than that, I've had no other issues with it.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:29 PM
rob christy

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

ok thanks for the feedback. Both bodies have the current firmware. Let you know what happens

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:42 PM
rob christy

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

thank you

Jul 13, 2015 at 07:58 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

The power board can fail for various reasons. I once sold a 6 month old camera to a lady who just had her camera die. She bought mine, used it a while with the memory card I supplied, then popped her own memory card into it, and it fried the camera. Since it was under warranty, Canon fixed it. The problem was a internally shorted CF card, one of the old Hitachi micro drives.

Replacing the power board is not difficult, but you do need some tools and ability.

$300 for the board on ebay. Its likely cheaper direct from Canon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-1D-X-Canon-EOS-1D-X-DC-DC-Power-Board-Replacement-Repair-Part-/331522595916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d30495c4c

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:07 PM
Vivek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Yep, a friend had the issue with the power board recently. Charged him 100$ for estimate but nothing for the part itself - wonder if that was because he has CPS.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:10 PM
rob christy

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

I have CPS Will see what they do for me. Thanks very much for the input

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:42 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Have you tried turning off the grip power? I had a friend who had this and he fixed it each time by restarting using the grip push button.

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:42 PM
rob christy

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Just tried it. Took the battery out and re inserted too as a second recycle attempt. Still will not come on. Have CPS so sending it in today.

PS: thanks for suggesting. You never know when tips like yours save the hassle and cost of sending it to the Canon doctor:-)

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:55 PM
ICee
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Have you tried replacing the button cell?

Jul 14, 2015 at 03:40 PM
rob christy

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

will give it a try...thanks

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:40 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Looking forward to hearing the solution....

Jul 15, 2015 at 06:33 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Any update?

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:23 AM
rob christy

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Sent in this week. Expect to know by this Tuesday July 21st. Thanks for asking

Jul 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM
rob christy

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 1DX shuts down won't restart

Issue was the PCB board. Part cost $82.34 They also found corrosion on the bottom of the front cover by the screws. No effect on the board they say. So I am paying for a new "Front" cover at $165. Standard total labor cost for both repairs is $279. So with my 30% platinum discount total repair bill is $395 After complaining about both issues Canon agreed to reduce the total bill to $342

Don't know how there was corrosion in the body. I don't shoot in the rain. Canon's rep started to "go down the path" that it may be because I live in Florida. I stopped that line of conversation right away. I have another 1DX that has had zero problems and usually have both bodies with me. The "other" 1DX is a year older and was used one season shooting Penn State football including a couple of rainy games.

Prior to owning the 1DX's had (and still have) two 1D Mark III's. One went to 588,680 shutter releases and one went to 746,675 shutter releases. Had them rebuilt.
These bodies were used on many rainy and snowy home Penn State football games with Think Tank covers. No repairs ever... only cleaned

I "get" the issue with the PCB board but not the corrosion inside the one 1DX body. Any thoughts please

Thank you
Rob Christy

Jul 20, 2015 at 06:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.