A7R, 16-35mm Zeiss.
Dave in NJ
http://www.modernpictorials.com/bay%20images/BAY/D653%20framed.jpg

Jul 11, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LBI Sunset

Amazed this hasn't had a comment yet. It's a beautiful shot, superb sky and the birds (not geese or ducks I assume with those very full wing-beats, maybe large gulls ?) add a point of focus. It's a shot that would look great printed and on a wall. No idea where LBI is so would appreciate a little more info for us non-Americans !

Jul 13, 2015 at 02:36 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LBI Sunset

Loads of personality in the sky I think you captured well. The birds against the bright portion of the background in silhouette are an excellent touch.

To Frogfish, as a way of improving my landscape photography, what would be a good point of focus? I understand what you're saying but I thought the birds would work.

Jul 13, 2015 at 04:00 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LBI Sunset

Frogfish wrote:
Amazed this hasn't had a comment yet. It's a beautiful shot, superb sky and the birds (not geese or ducks I assume with those very full wing-beats, maybe large gulls ?) add a point of focus. It's a shot that would look great printed and on a wall. No idea where LBI is so would appreciate a little more info for us non-Americans !

I dont see any request for C&C, actually i dont see even hello...

Jul 13, 2015 at 05:27 AM
Brian Woolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LBI Sunset

Impressive image but possibly a little saturated for my taste, sky is incredible, birds work very well. While the pier adds lots of interest to the foreground, it seems a bit dark and slightly blocked up. Of course, trying to open up the pier might not work either, just a thought.
Brian

Jul 13, 2015 at 05:08 PM
dgurtch
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LBI Sunset

Thanks for the comments folks. LBI is Long Beach Island, NJ. It is a barrier island in the southern part of NJ, 18 miles long, and in some places only one block wide. It is not common for the bay to freeze, as it is tidal, and salt water, but this winter it did. Yes the birds are either geese or ducks, both plentiful here.
This was a very dramatic sky that evening. I did expose for the sky, at the expense of the pier/docks, no time to set up an HDR sequence.
Thanks again for looking.
Dave in NJ
PS the 16-35 is an image stabilized lens, useful for me at age 78. I printed this image to 16"x24" for a recent exhibit, and it easily goes that large.

Jul 14, 2015 at 03:55 PM
dgurtch
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LBI Sunset

To show how the sky here in winter changes dramatically, here is a shot from about the same spot made 10 days later (this time with a Nikon D800E and 24~70 f2.8 Tamron VC lens). Earlier shot made Feb 7, this one Feb 17.
Thanks for looking
Dave in NJ

http://www.modernpictorials.com/bay%20images/BAY/D660%20framed.jpg

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:27 AM
Cheryle Sytsma
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LBI Sunset

I like these both very much, David...
I enjoy texture, and these are loaded...
Well captured!

Jul 15, 2015 at 01:05 PM
dgurtch
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LBI Sunset

Thank you Cheryle.
Dave

Jul 15, 2015 at 01:44 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.