FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

Those who have seen my recent posts will know that I have been disappointed with the images provided by my Schneider FM 40mm of the non-biting midges in my garden, some of which carry phoretic (hitch-hiker) mites.

Previously, I had found them only deep down in lemon balm bushes. Unresolved issues, all potentially degrading image quality, included possible subject motion, possibly camera motion, reflected light from green vegetation and limited viewing angles, mainly from above.

I recently washed my car and noticed a male midge on the wet bodywork. I fetched my camera and the midge was gone.

A day later, I was backing my car down our steep drive when I noticed a superb specimen of a male midge on my door mirror. I stealthily exited the car, leaving the midge in situ. When I returned with my camera the midge was gone.

This morning, well before breakfast, I examined the car and found a male on the bonnet (hood) lid. When I returned with my camera, it was gone. I had had enough and forgot about breakfast, returning to the car at intervals. I normally start a topic before breakfast but I was on a mission!

I was rewarded by the discovery of a male, laden with mites, on the windscreen. It had very truncated filaments on its antennae, suggesting that the mites my have browsed on them. This is last in the images .Later on, I saw another male, this time with intact antennae and on the roof. I got a very long series of images. The breeze even tipped the midge over at one stage but it remained on the roof.

These sessions removed the motion issue, my hands, and the midge, being supported by the car. There was no colour cast, the car being black, with the bonus of some reflections.

I think this is at the limit of hand-held macro. The lens has now shown what it can do, although I had to deal with diffraction.

EM-1, extension, x 1.5 Kiron TC, reversed Schneider HM 40mm at f16, hand-held, twin TTL RC diffused flash.

The images are from uncropped to moderately cropped. FOV 6mm.The final one (see reply) is a cross-eye stereogram. This will give you some idea of the difficulty I had through the viewfinder.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:50 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

Here is the cross-eye stereo, not comfortable viewing but realistic.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

Jul 11, 2015 at 12:51 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

I love the story of the hunt Harold and you nailed these. They look like they could scratch up your car's finish if someone swats them.

Morris

Jul 11, 2015 at 05:11 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

morris wrote:
I love the story of the hunt Harold and you nailed these. They look like they could scratch up your car's finish if someone swats them.

Morris

Thanks, Morris.

The use of a car as a location is well-established in the forum.

Harold

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:31 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

Interesting stuff Harold
Brian v.

Jul 12, 2015 at 01:48 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

LordV wrote:
Interesting stuff Harold
Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

High magnification macro has educated me continuously.

Harold

Jul 12, 2015 at 01:56 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

Well done with 2 the stand out Harold ~ Ron

Jul 12, 2015 at 07:09 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

surfnron wrote:
Well done with 2 the stand out Harold ~ Ron

Thanks Ron.

That dust is part of a heavy deposit of pollen from local trees. The midges seemed to be grazing it.

Had I not changed my red car for a black one there might have been a colour clash with the mites.

Harold

Jul 12, 2015 at 07:58 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

Love the narrative and the wonderful results of your persistence!

Birdie

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

Really cool set!

I've noticed a lot of beetles infected with mites this year, using them as an air line. But very few mites on the bees though.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:48 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Midge With Mites Mission: Succcess

Thanks, Birdie and John.

On my car this morning I found a bright green species with iridescent wings and the same style of antennae, but no mites. I will post the images this week.

Harold

Jul 12, 2015 at 11:00 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.