New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 5DS focus system help - center point and AI Servo

Bruce n Philly
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DS focus system help - center point and AI Servo

5DS r Ok, I get it... the thing is sophisticated... help!!

I came from a 5D MK II simple, stupid and easy. I pretty much only used my MK II center point for focusing, single shot.. like 99% of the time. Didn't work very well in AI servo. So some questions:

1 - Single Shot Flowers and static stuff:

I have been shooting flowers etc. with the 5DS and chose the Single-point Spot AF, center point. Seems to work very well as when I am shooting kinda macro, nailing the center of the DOF is key. So, what is wrong with keeping this setting like all of the time and as my "walk around" configuration? What am I missing or what will I screw up (static, one shot, not moving stuff). (I use the back button focus, recompose, then shoot.)

2) AI Servo for birds in flight

I haven't tried the 5DS out yet, but will tomorrow and the rest of this weekend. What in the heck configuration for this ? I am stumped. Birds can be erratic and can get lost in the background static of weeds, choppy water and other crap. Should I just put it in the 61-point automatic selection AF, AI Servo and let 'er rip?

NB: I was going to ask some general questions like "Why the hell do I need 5 different manual selection points/zones for"? but the manual does give some general reasons... but really... by the time I pull out my manual, that nude, girl of my dreams will have ran away.

I keep my camera C3 for regular shooting (Av, various settings, and center point focus) and C2 for AI Servo (Av, various settings) for when things move. I found these two "starting points" worked really well for me for years. Now I am going nuts trying to tranlsate this sophisticated system into my simple, two configuration settings that worked so well for me for years.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
TravelThroughPictures.com

Jul 10, 2015 at 08:11 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DS focus system help - center point and AI Servo

Single point works just fine for most things. Sometimes I even use it for birds in flight. My recommendation to start with for BIF is to start simple. Keep it on Case 1 and try either single point like you are used to or try the 2nd expansion mode that adds 8 assist points around the centre point. The centre point of the cluster will still be what you aim with but if the bird moves off that you will get the other points assisting to keep focus.

As you get more experienced with the camera you can try out some of the other modes like Case 2 that is better for holding focus and not jumping to background or foreground distractions. Case 5 and 6 might be good for swallow shooting combined with all 61 point mode as an example.

However, I usually just leave my 5D3, 1DX and 7D2 on case 1 and forget about all the silly options. I use the expansion mode for fliers and single point or even spot point for perches.

The system has lots of tweaks and I've now been using it for quite a few years since the 5D3 first came out. I really think it is a lot of unnecessary complications. The problem with All point mode and the zone mode is that it always goes for the closest subject so only good for birds against clear sky.

Jul 10, 2015 at 09:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.