New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Panning!

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panning!

So I've never tried this until today, and I was just pissing around.

I know that the interest level in my quick effort is low (same goes with the sharpness!!), but it was more to kick off some discussion.

The technique interests me - does anyone have any tips for getting better results? Suggested settings or anything that could give me a better grasp.

I've got a feeling that part of user-error (focus), but I'm curious to hear some more experienced thoughts.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited on Jul 09, 2015 at 06:36 AM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2015 at 12:30 AM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panning!

I've only ever been on the other side of this type of shot (in the car), and the photos never come out as flattering as I'd like. This composition I think came out rather well, even though the background scene (a parking garage) is a little pedestrian. I'm liking the high contrast, and the very black blacks you have in the image. You've done a good job at making an ugly car (imho) look pretty good.

I think your shutter speed is a little off. My personal preference is to either be able to see individual (but blurred) spokes on the wheels (faster shutter), or to see right through the wheel to the break caliper (slower shutter). You're sorta in between, so the wheels look like white discs.

The most flattering pictures usually end up with a 3/4 profile of the car, and you can add a sense of sideways motion by tilting the shot. That said, this profile shot turned out pretty well.

Jul 09, 2015 at 02:53 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panning!

This is a great topic. The best advice I can give is practice practice practice. I pan with my running dog a lot and find only a few coming out. Here is one at the same shutter speed as yours, 1/30, that shows motion. Blurriness vs shaerpness is a matter of taste. With a car of course the only things really moving are the wheels, and with a horse the legs neck, etc.

In my opinion although yours is perhaps a little soft I think it conveys motion and that was the intent. +1 on the black and white which does well with that car I think.

You might try using a lens that has a panning IS mode. That might make a difference.

hor_ 053 by Keith, on Flickr

keith

Jul 09, 2015 at 05:46 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panning!

georgetd wrote:
I've only ever been on the other side of this type of shot (in the car), and the photos never come out as flattering as I'd like. This composition I think came out rather well, even though the background scene (a parking garage) is a little pedestrian. I'm liking the high contrast, and the very black blacks you have in the image. You've done a good job at making an ugly car (imho) look pretty good.

I think your shutter speed is a little off. My personal preference is to either be able to see individual (but blurred) spokes on the
...Show more

Comp was pure happenstance, as well as the background. I was walking back from shoot and figured that then was as good as a time as any to try dragging. All things considered, it's not the worst shot!

I'm guessing the same concept applies when upping the shutter, except your have to pan a bit faster?

I definitely would like to look into getting out to a local track to try this would with some proper cars and comp.

Thanks for the feedback!!

---------------------------------------------

beanpkk wrote:
This is a great topic. The best advice I can give is practice practice practice. I pan with my running dog a lot and find only a few coming out. Here is one at the same shutter speed as yours, 1/30, that shows motion. Blurriness vs shaerpness is a matter of taste. With a car of course the only things really moving are the wheels, and with a horse the legs neck, etc.

In my opinion although yours is perhaps a little soft I think it conveys motion and that was the intent. +1 on the black and white which
...Show more

+1 to practice! This seems like it's one of those things where you need to get a feel for the technique itself as well as what result you're looking to get from it.

Definitely too soft here. I probably [absolutely] should have used AF instead of MF, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the comments, Keith!

Jeff

Jul 09, 2015 at 06:30 AM
Braineack
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panning!

dragging the shutter is typically used in reference to flash photography, looks like we want to be discussing panning here...

Jul 09, 2015 at 06:34 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panning!

Braineack wrote:
dragging the shutter is typically used in reference to flash photography, looks like we want to be discussing panning here...

No kidding. Alrighty then.

Let's discussing panning!

Jul 09, 2015 at 06:36 AM
georgetd
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panning!

If you make it out to a track day, they'll probably be excited to have someone out taking pictures. They might also have some safety regulations they need to follow, and tend to be short on man power. Be prepared to maybe have to supply your own spotter. It turns out when you're looking through a lens, you're completely oblivious to anything else that might be happening around you.

I'm hoping to get out to a track while I'm here in Japan. Not sure when, but I have some time yet.

Jul 09, 2015 at 08:18 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panning!

georgetd wrote:
If you make it out to a track day, they'll probably be excited to have someone out taking pictures. They might also have some safety regulations they need to follow, and tend to be short on man power. Be prepared to maybe have to supply your own spotter. It turns out when you're looking through a lens, you're completely oblivious to anything else that might be happening around you.

I'm hoping to get out to a track while I'm here in Japan. Not sure when, but I have some time yet.

Yeah definitely! I emailed a local place but never heard back from them. And +1 at a spotter - I'm oblivious enough when giant steel missiles AREN'T flying around at high speeds.

Japan has got to be GREAT, especially with all the drifting.

And the R34s.

Jeff

Jul 09, 2015 at 08:41 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panning!

About all I can offer is the other day while researching BIF techniques I read that the proper way to pan is to hold your arms and hands firmly and very rigid and then swivel your upper body around your hips in a smooth fluent motion. For BIF this is not always possible for obvious reasons but for this type of shot or target I would think that technique would be ideal.

Much like Keith said, practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it as you are doing it.

The other suggestion I read was obvious to me (as a hunter) but I think it's worth mentioning here. And that is to make sure to follow through with your shot. In other words, track your target before, during and after you hit that shutter button.

Something I've been trying to expand on when shooting is to get use to changing my metering mode quickly to adapt to different scenes. I'm not sure if this would be something you would need to consider or not for this type of shot but I think using partial metering would work here.

Dave

Jul 09, 2015 at 09:36 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panning!

lighthound wrote:
About all I can offer is the other day while researching BIF techniques I read that the proper way to pan is to hold your arms and hands firmly and very rigid and then swivel your upper body around your hips in a smooth fluent motion. For BIF this is not always possible for obvious reasons but for this type of shot or target I would think that technique would be ideal.

Much like Keith said, practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it as you are doing it.

The other suggestion I read
...Show more

Roger that, Dave. I was trying to act like a turret when I took these. I'll definitely be practicing more in the future and will reach back out to the local track.

Jeff

Jul 09, 2015 at 09:55 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.