New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · proofing paper

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · proofing paper

What is proofing paper? is that another option of photo printing paper? if so what do we use it for? what is its characteristics? Just wonder. Until now I use mat, luster, metallic...

Jul 08, 2015 at 11:06 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · proofing paper

When people referring to proofing paper, it's usually in the context of simulating the output of another device on your printer with that "proofing" paper. It could be that you're using your smaller printer to "proof" what a larger print is going to look like somewhere else, or more commonly, in the world of commercial offset printing, it's using an inkjet paper to simulate the output of a four color lithographic printing press.

Proofing paper in that context usually has no optical brighteners that make the paper look whiter than natural. The whiteness and weight of the proofing paper are very close if not identical to the paper used in the printing press.

Typically, you profile both the press (or the printer's contract proofing system) and you profile the inkjet proofing paper. You then take the CMYK file for press and convert it to the inkjet proofing paper profile, ideally using Absolute Colorimetric rendering intent. The resulting print, if all factors are working and you've got good profiles, will be a fairly accurate representation of what you're going to get on press.

Proofing papers like Epson's are not designed as fine art papers. I don't know about the longevity of those proofing papers, but in their intended use, long life is never a factor.

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:52 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · proofing paper

Peter Figen wrote:
When people referring to proofing paper, it's usually in the context of simulating the output of another device on your printer with that "proofing" paper. It could be that you're using your smaller printer to "proof" what a larger print is going to look like somewhere else, or more commonly, in the world of commercial offset printing, it's using an inkjet paper to simulate the output of a four color lithographic printing press.

Proofing paper in that context usually has no optical brighteners that make the paper look whiter than natural. The whiteness and weight of the proofing paper are
...Show more

That was what I understood. "Proof" to try out. But to make it confusing when I look at the price of the paper. Just one example, from Atlex.com: Epson proofing paper 60'x100ft costs $259.95, Epson premium photo paper glossy same size 60"x100 ft cost a lot less: just $216.25 . Who would buy the expensive proofing paper just to try out?
That let me think that, the term "proofing" doesn't mean what it used to mean. Now it is just one of the option of photo paper. It costs lot more than the PREMIUM glossy paper.

premium

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:01 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · proofing paper

Yes, it is expensive, but for those using it to proof for press work, it's far less expensive than the papers used by truly high end proofing systems, and, generally, you're billing for the proofs so the cost is not a huge factor, overall. It's also very thin, so not usually what you want for fine art prints.

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:07 PM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · proofing paper

Peter Figen wrote:
.... I don't know about the longevity of those proofing papers, but in their intended use, long life is never a factor.

Mark McCormick at Ardenburg Imaging is currently running a longevity test on the paper.

It is nice paper with at most minimal OBA content, which is very unusual for an RC paper, and a really flat spectral reflectance curve.

Brian A

Jul 08, 2015 at 06:09 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · proofing paper

For me, "proofing paper" means a paper less expensive than what I use for fine art prints, but which is relatively similar to what I use for "real" prints, at least to the point that I can extrapolate from what I see on the proofing paper to reliably predict what I'll see on my good paper.

My primary papers are Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk and Gold Mono Silk. I use Epson ultra premium lustre as my proofing paper. Prints on the Epson paper are not "precious" — they often get handled, passed around, marked up, even bent. Longevity isn't remotely an issue. (With one exception — on occasion I have reduced the cost on a larger non-fine-art order by offering to print on lesser paper and I've used the Epson paper for this.)

Dan

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:37 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · proofing paper

gdanmitchell wrote:
For me, "proofing paper" means a paper less expensive than what I use for fine art prints, but which is relatively similar to what I use for "real" prints, at least to the point that I can extrapolate from what I see on the proofing paper to reliably predict what I'll see on my good paper.

My primary papers are Ilford Galerie Gold Fibre Silk and Gold Mono Silk. I use Epson ultra premium lustre as my proofing paper. Prints on the Epson paper are not "precious" — they often get handled, passed around, marked up, even bent. Longevity isn't remotely
...Show more

"from Atlex.com: Epson proofing paper 60'x100ft costs $259.95, Epson premium photo paper glossy same size 60"x100 ft cost a lot less: just $216.25 "

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:54 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · proofing paper

Every photographer I know who made test prints on lower cost material - from the film era through to today - always referred to those test prints as "work" prints. Proofing, in my mind, and many others, has always meant simulating the output on one substrate of the final different output. Epson is quite clear about the intended use and design of their proofing paper, although people are obviously free to print whatever they want and use it as final art if they wish.

Here's the description from Lexjet of Epson Commercial Proofing Paper:
Designed with a commercial grade base color, the semimatte surface finish on this proofing media is ideally suited for simulating the commercial printing applications most commonly used in high-end sheet-fed printed products such as brochures, collateral, book covers and posters. It is a 187g semi-matte paper that is coated with exacting standards and displays outstanding short term stability when used in conjunction with Epson professional inks. Its medium weight combined with a wide color gamut makes this the perfect choice for commercial proofing applications.

And for Epson Standard Proofing Paper:

EPSON Standard Proofing Paper is a certified IDEAlliance GRACoL Grade 1 proofing paper. This is the benchmark standard for most professional proofing applications. Background simulation is not required to meet the GRACoL Grade 1 certification.

Specs

Semimatte finish
9 mil thickness
92 ISO Brightness
GRACol Grade 1 Certified
LAB of 95, 0, -2

Jul 08, 2015 at 11:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.