New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

Sagar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

I am thinking of picking up MacBook 12" for occasional (2-5 images in a day or so) editing with LR6
Does anyone here has used/using new 12" MacBook? What's your experience with LR6?

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:49 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

I checked this out about a week ago when I was in London. Amazing Retina screen. The issue of course is the single USB-C port ... and nothing else ! Trying to find multi-port adapters is still nigh on impossible but I read Belkin had issued a range of adapters (not multi-port) and there was a 6:1 on that 'starter' site (forget the name) for US$90 if you get in now.

Weight was seemingly impossibly light (about 800g I think) and when I scoured Google for reviews I found one where the guy claimed there wasn't much difference in RAW file handling between his current MBP and the new MacBook.

I'm still on the fence until I see proper solutions for the single USB-C port. If it had two ports I'd have bought it then and there, though most reviews are saying hold off a year for v2, two ports and a substantial price-drop.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:38 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

if you believe the haters it shouldn't work . Core M and all that .
but Ive seen a few videos that show it running a bunch of apps and handling itself really well . the standard 8gig of ram probably helps a lot .

now Ive still not seen one in the flesh but Im sorely tempted . it would be a 2nd machine (to my i7 iMac) so it wouldn't be used for the heavy lifting .

the USB C port isn't the big problem that some make out as far as I can see . My current 11" air has 256gig and I don't plug more than a memory stick into it .

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:14 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
the USB C port isn't the big problem that some make out as far as I can see . My current 11" air has 256gig and I don't plug more than a memory stick into it .

It's a mini port though Ian - even for a memory stick / standard USB flash you'll need an adapter and since I'd want mine for taking on photographic trips that means plugging in a HD too. Some people would like to keep power connected as well so there is a need for multi-port adapter. It really depends on an individual's personal needs.

Jul 09, 2015 at 05:55 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

Frogfish wrote:
It's a mini port though Ian - even for a memory stick / standard USB flash you'll need an adapter and since I'd want mine for taking on photographic trips that means plugging in a HD too. Some people would like to keep power connected as well so there is a need for multi-port adapter. It really depends on an individual's personal needs.

yeah its a mini port . again not sure that would bother me . one adapter across many items isn't a huge problem . I'm seeing a fe USB C hubs and stuff now anyway . I'm pretty sure if seen a usb to usb c cap that goes on a memory stick (can't find it now ) .
as it is now I need to a cable that allows me to plug in a USB 3 reader to my AIR .

as for needing power as well . I think I can do without power if I'm just plugging a memory stick / dongle in to transfer some files . its no issue to unplug and then power up again . i mean these things last way longer than laptops of old on battery

really if the want is to plug in loads of periferals then your probably better off with a Macbook pro anyway .

1 thing thats a slight backward step though . is the power (yes i know it goes a bit against what I said above) . Taking away the mag power and going back to a plug in is a backward step . Mag connection for the power is a much better safer way . (my wife's Yoga 13" was powered up and the cable got caught as the dog jumped off the sofa . luckily the only damage was to the charger connection which meant finding a replacement . but it could so easily have been the port ) .

also I think I would want to wait until someone like Henge Dock make a nice dock for it . having seen the henge dock for the air and the pro I would say thats the best way to go if you ever want to dock and use an external screen

Jul 09, 2015 at 06:43 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

oh and yes its only a single port . which is another thing that gets brought up a lot .
yeah more ports does = better but my surface pro (the air is a long term Lend ) only has 1 port and while its a pain its not the issue I thought it would be . and thats on a machine with only 128gb . my borrowed air is 256gb and I don't think I've yet needed a 2nd port . (i also don't need to have it powered althaea often .

Jul 09, 2015 at 06:47 AM
nntnam
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

I have this laptop and have been using it over 2 weeks, I bought it to use while traveling and going to conferences.

The retina screen is simply amazing, much better than my iMac 2013/2012's. However I have to admit it's really slow. I don't even think about installing LR CC on it. I wouldn't recommended this machine for photo editing. A Macbook Air 11.6" will do the job faster and it's not much bigger.

Jul 09, 2015 at 07:14 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

Ok that's interesting .
What are you running on it and can you define 'slow' ?

Jul 09, 2015 at 08:14 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

Frogfish wrote:
The issue of course is the single USB-C port ... and nothing else ! Trying to find multi-port adapters is still nigh on impossible but I read Belkin had issued a range of adapters (not multi-port) and there was a 6:1 on that 'starter' site (forget the name) for US$90 if you get in now.

Yes ... there is work on a couple of possibilities ... though let's not forget, the next generation of Thunderbolt will also be using the USB-C form factor. That could open up more options for third party solutions.

OWC is also working on a port adapter (coming in October) as well though it may not be as portable as the option already mentioned:

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/OWC-USB-C-Dock/

As for performance ... this review seems to indicate the new Macbook seems to handle the rigors of Final Cut Pro X rather well ... and with the high resolution screen ... you can view full 1080p with the toolsets in view ... not bad performance on exporting 4k video either ... all things considered ...

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1695-how-well-does-final-cut-pro-x-run-on-the-new-12-macbook-retina

The new Macbook shouldn't really face too much problems with Lr 6.

Jul 09, 2015 at 09:01 AM
nntnam
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Ok that's interesting .
What are you running on it and can you define 'slow' ?

Reading PDF, watching video online, editing documents, presentation... I can see the lag while watching some video or visiting the websites with some flash ads. However, youtube videos seem fine. The scrolling when using Preview is not as smooth as other Mac devices. For me, that's kind of slow.

My girlfriend has a Macbook air 11.6 (2014 model) and I can tell the difference in performance.

Anyway, maybe I should install LR6 and give it a try when I have time. I will let you know the result.

Jul 09, 2015 at 09:57 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

please do . the 11" air in currently using is a 2013 model with an i5 1.3 gig CPU .
i have to say its not slow by any stretch . although I've not made do any real heavy lifting , but then thats not what a machine like that is for anyway (my iMac is for that)

also what do you think of the keyboard . the reviews I've seen are mixed (the keyboard on the air is great) . one review likened it to the type cover on the surface pro 3 . I have a surface pro V1 and the type cover on that is not great (I've played with the V3 and its not much better)
so if its anything like that that would be a deal breaker

Jul 09, 2015 at 10:30 AM
nntnam
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

The keyboard? It's quite bad. The review on internet is not always true, they usually use twisted words to make it unclear. It feels nothing like keyboard on other macbook. The key is too short that sometimes I thought my type wasn't registered, and it feels like you are typing on hard surface. Although the size of keys is much bigger than original apple keyboard, I mistyped many times using that laptop. Don't know why. However, this maybe just me, since I'm hardcore keyboard collector.

I knew all these thing before buying it since I don't expect it to do anything heavy or become my daily computer . A surface pro would be perfect for me but unfortunately I don't use windows anymore.

Jul 09, 2015 at 11:01 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

nntnam wrote:
The keyboard? It's quite bad. The review on internet is not always true, they usually use twisted words to make it unclear. It feels nothing like keyboard on other macbook. The key is too short that sometimes I thought my type wasn't registered, and it feels like you are typing on hard surface. Although the size of keys is much bigger than original apple keyboard, I mistyped many times using that laptop. Don't know why. However, this maybe just me, since I'm hardcore keyboard collector.

I knew all these thing before buying it since I don't expect it to do anything
...Show more

thanks . as for a surface pro being ideal but not using windows anymore . I wouldn't say thats 'unfortunate' for me if I didn't have to use windows again it wouldn't be too soon . win8 has been total junk . win10 is better (i have the previews on my surface) but it still falls way short of OS X to use . as a note i used win up till 2yrs ago when I bought my first mac . had never even used a mac till that point . it didn't take me long tireless how much easier OS X was to navigate around compared to any win system

Jul 09, 2015 at 11:11 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

I've handled one and used it briefly. Truly a sweet device - but I have a current version 11" Air that does my mobile work just fine so I'm not particularly tempted. I only played with it for about 15 minutes. Keyboard was fine. I'm a keyboard snob and don't think any laptop keyboard is particularly great. I have a Mathias on my desktop. Trackpad seemed a bit more responsive.

I don't think I'd try to run Ps on it, but it seemed to me that Lr would be fine. For the work I do (some of not connected to photography at all), it couldn't be my only device but I'd be tempted for mobile if the Air wasn't so good.

As for the port(s), Apple's always screwing with them. Irritating, but if you've gone thru a few of their evolutions it seems they always think it will make it smaller and/or faster. First out the door, the market never has very many alternatives - but in a relatively short period of time people like OWC come up with something. (Apple could fix that by seeding hardware developers so they could come up with products, but the Apple arrogance seems to preclude that.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar start showing up on the MBP. That Retina screen is certainly mouth watering.

Robert

Jul 09, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

I tried it only shortly in a store, and found it good (keyboard was fine with me ---except the typing noise was a bit too noisy--- and it did not feel slow), but the main thing is the connectivity part. I use an 11" MBA every day, and pretty often have both USB ports in use, as well as the MagSafe. So, I would not be too happy with a single port... Think about it: the space and weight of the additional adapters and additional cables will make it pretty close to the 11" MBA... not to mention the extra price. I expect after a generation or two this will be a great little laptop though!

Jul 09, 2015 at 03:17 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

yeah I get that if you use the ports on an air regularly then it probably isn't the machine for the job .

but I have to say I see a lot of AIR's in use and most never seem to have anything attached to them .

on the subject of price :

I see the argument that its too over priced alot . but I also see when the question of what spec mac to buy (I had a thread like that a while back) the majority consensus is 8 gig / 256gig minimum . (actually having used an 11" air for a little bit now I find 4gig is OK but yes 8gig would be better ) .
if you take the AIR upto those specs (but keep the CPU at base) then the 13" is the same cost and the 11" only a little bit cheaper but the retina has the much nicer screen . so is it really over priced ?

Jul 09, 2015 at 03:26 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

In the UK I'd say it's expensive ... but then all electronics are over there. I was visiting my daughter in London and would have got the VAT back (20% right ?) which made it almost as cheap as buying in HK (China prices are very similar to the UK). At the USA prices it's worth it, at the HK prices maybe, at the UK prices, no. All the usual sources are forecasting a price drop and better specs (twin ports) for v2.

That Retina screen though ... wow. With that sort of detail you don't need much larger for great LR editing !

Jul 10, 2015 at 05:33 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

^^^

yeah stuff is expensive over here . but then we pay 20% VAT on our stuff . I still dont get the sales tax thing in the states . from the outside it looks like a system designed to take trade away from the local store and drive sales to the internet .
yes you would have been able to claim the VAT back when you left the country .

Ive looked at the US costs and they are much more tempting . I know someone who will be traveling to the states in a couple of months but the risk is they get hit for the import on entry to the country and the item could end up costing more .

Jul 10, 2015 at 03:17 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
^^^

yeah stuff is expensive over here . but then we pay 20% VAT on our stuff . I still dont get the sales tax thing in the states . from the outside it looks like a system designed to take trade away from the local store and drive sales to the internet .
yes you would have been able to claim the VAT back when you left the country .

Ive looked at the US costs and they are much more tempting . I know someone who will be traveling to the states in a couple of months but the
...Show more

You've certainly nailed it Ian. Our state level politicos strut about braying that THEY haven't raised our taxes when in fact all they've done is push them down to every county, city, school district, lighting district, etc., etc. But then I doubt I have nothing to tell you guys about lying politicians and public posturing.

I think you're right that the shinny new machine will become a "have to have" and do agree that the only time I need a port is to download from memory cards. I think the port contraction comes more from reducing internal complexity (possibly price) that allows the form factor.

On buying in the US, I had (have) a Scottish friend who bought an Air here, used it, got a bag for it, then carried it on. I later shipped him the box and such, thus once again the crafty minds of the people beat the government. Still it would take a special effort to go this way.

One other thought. I had a 12" MBP back when they were available. To me it really is the sweet spot in small laptop size.

Robert

Jul 11, 2015 at 09:24 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · MacBook 12" Anyone?

OntheRez wrote:
On buying in the US, I had (have) a Scottish friend who bought an Air here, used it, got a bag for it, then carried it on. I later shipped him the box and such, thus once again the crafty minds of the people beat the government. Still it would take a special effort to go this way.

Robert

Robert knowing my luck I'd cop import duty on the box as well as the machine coming in the country .
im not sure there would be an easy way to make the new machine look like its been used a for couple of months as the people who would be able to get it for me won't even touch a mac . hell I've tried to sell him on the virtues of a mac when he was hunting for the 'perfect' laptop a while back and he just wouldn't listen . and then we had many months of him shouting at his android phone and then shouting at me and others in his family when we pointed out the ease that our iPhones could do what he wanted .

Jul 11, 2015 at 09:45 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.