Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

Wahba47

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

Hello everyone,

I am having a really frustrating issue with my off camera flash setup and I've gone over and over it a million times and it still isn't working properly.

The weird thing was is that it was working and then all of a sudden I cant get the flash to fire now.

So my setup is a yongnuo 560iv with the 560tx transmitter. I am using my D7000 in manual mode.

The flash is setup to manual mode in RX Mode, on channel 1, GR:A. Now here is the weird part, my transmitter is communicating with the flash properly, as I can adjust the settings and zoom from the transmitter, but once I press the shutter, the flash is not firing whatsoever. Upon pressing the test button on the transmitter, the flash fires, but still, not when the shutter is pressed.

I tried to fire the flash directly off my hotshoe and it didn't go off, and I have an sb-26 flash which I tried, attached directly to the hotshoe and it fired. So what's causing the yongnuo to not fire once the shutter is pressed?

Guys I really need some help here as I have a food photography shoot scheduled for today, and I need this setup to work, as I currently have no backups. What do I need to do here?

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:47 AM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

Fiddle around adjusting the transmitter in the hot shoe, I have this issue from time to time with my D70S and I have to reseat it sometimes.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:06 AM
Wahba47

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

It's weird because If i fiddle with it, theres a green light on top of the transmitter that lights up when it's like halfway on, but it still doesn't trigger the flash at all. I can't seem to slide the transmitter all the way forward on the hot shoe either.

It's weird because it used to work and I don't know if im overlooking some setting or what is going on....

Also, I have an sb-26 flash I attached directly to my hotshoe and it worked fine. I did the same with the yongnuo, and I couldn't get it to fire even when placed directly on the camera.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:16 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

I had frequent issues with the hotshoe making poor contact when I was using this cheap gear.

You need to get a backup (wired for quick/cheap?) ASAP though if someone is depending on you to take these shots.. You're using Nikon can't you use the visible light setup as a backup?

And if you're getting paid upgrade to something reliable ASAP. You're really playing with fire using the cheap stuff in a business setup.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:41 AM
Wahba47

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

I agree, but I am just a beginner, and I got lucky with this connection through this restauraunt who is helping me get my business started, so in terms of getting lots of expensive gear, I just can't afford it.

What do I need to wire the flash directly instead of depending on the wireless setup? A pc cord?

Still messing around with this and I can't get the equipment to work at all. I've gone through all the settings a million times.

I have the flash set on the camera in manual mode, and everything communicates from the transmitter to the flash, just does not fire once shutter pressed. Seriously seriously frustrating!!!!!!!

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:48 AM
tsilva

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

Try setting the flash to ttl mode

Jul 08, 2015 at 11:31 AM
Wahba47

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

nothing, does not help.

I can get the flash to fire using commander mode on my camera and slave mode on the flash, but then I get an unwanted flash from the camera flash, and I am doing food photography indoors and that has a negative impact on my picture.

Jul 08, 2015 at 11:37 AM
bboule
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

Can't you dial down the on-camera flash to 1/64th or 1/128th or something? You're doing this manually right?

You seemed to indicate Nikon, they have the SC-28 and SC-29 TTL cables.. I have the Canon equivalent and the way they are coiled is annoying but they are 100% reliable and for something like food there is a good chance your light is going to be close enough to use the cable.

It is crazy that these knock-off products can get the electronics working but can't build a good enough hotshoe to keep good contact.

BTW, what about rental?

I am just an amateur/beginner too, I was where you are about 6-7 years ago.. the problem with some of the el cheapo gear is it's so unreliable that it's not even good enough to learn on. Inanimate objects is one thing, forget about trying to do a portrait session with lights that randomly stop working! I went through about 3 iterations of cheapie gear before finally giving in and buying better stuff.. I wasted a lot of money on cheap crap, probably 1/2 what I spent on the good stuff in the end. I have a reliable set of basic stuff at this point and wouldn't buy any more, I'd rent.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:19 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

"nothing, does not help.

I can get the flash to fire using commander mode on my camera and slave mode on the flash, but then I get an unwanted flash from the camera flash, and I am doing food photography indoors and that has a negative impact on my picture."

This doesn't sound like a hot shoe issue here. But try a swab and alcohol and clean the contacts on everything. If it is a hot shoe thing then you'll probably have to rent another camera but I doubt it.

Sorry for the trouble, but In the future I would suggest you buy something more reliable like Nikon and always have a back-up plan if you are shoot for money. I never worry about my SB-910's or Pocketwizards.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:30 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My off camera flash is not firing, need help asap for a shoot today!!

Use a cable from receiver to the flash, the hotshoe is busted

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:19 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.