Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

mikedec
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Normally whenever I even look out the window, the Belted Kingfisher will take off with it's customary rattling call.

Monday, I was able to slowly open the window as it sat on one of the wood duck houses looking the other way. It turned back and looked down and at me for a few moments and I was able to snap off some photos.

Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck house. 7/6/15. Canon 7d II w/ Canon 500mm f4 & Canon 1.4x III.

Working my way slowly toward kmunroe:
territory who takes great photos of them

1)
IMG_8185x by Mike Dec, on Flickr

2)
IMG_8182x by Mike Dec, on Flickr

3)
IMG_8180x by Mike Dec, on Flickr

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:41 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Nice tight portraits of that little guy!!!

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:45 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Ahhh, my nemesis the belted kingfisher. Only shots I've obtained are 1200mm on 7D2 and then 100% crops of that file?? No amount of stealth has helped me. One day I'll get him.

Great job on getting these shots Mike.

TFS
Geoff

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:02 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

These are great Mike, and lots of luscious detail too ~ Ron

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:56 PM
ahamp
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

These are very nice, Mike. Tough species for sure. I have only gotten close once. The bird was sitting on a rusty fence rail near a spill-way. It was near 100 degrees so there was lots of heat shimmer and contrasty lighting. You did well.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:14 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Lookin' good Mike

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:15 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Great shots, Mike.

Now that you have him trained to sit on the Wood Duck house:

Get a nice-looking branch for a perch and attach that hanging over the water side.

Before the KF arrives, open the window and hang a cloth window blind over the opening. Have an opening cut in the cloth so only your lens can be seen by the KF.

Then, if he is going to sit still enough, bracket 3 exposure shots by 1 full stop. Then you can use the cloning tool set on Darken and clone in the underexposed white from one shot into the overexposed white of the other shot.

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:06 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Beautiful shots Mike

Jul 08, 2015 at 03:08 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Imagemaster wrote:
Great shots, Mike.

Now that you have him trained to sit on the Wood Duck house:

Get a nice-looking branch for a perch and attach that hanging over the water side.

Before the KF arrives, open the window and hang a cloth window blind over the opening. Have an opening cut in the cloth so only your lens can be seen by the KF.

Then, if he is going to sit still enough, bracket 3 exposure shots by 1 full stop. Then you can use the cloning tool set on Darken and clone in the underexposed white from one shot into the overexposed white
...Show more

Tony,

You must have been reading my mind. I've been thinking of some way that I could attach a nice perch to the Wood Duck House. I've also contemplated some way to keep a cloth there to have the lens attached to for the wood ducks in the spring.

Good idea on the exposures. I know I blew out the whites a little.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Mike

Jul 08, 2015 at 04:31 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

awesome little kingfisher Mike

Jul 08, 2015 at 05:22 PM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Belted Kingfisher out the back window on a Wood Duck House. 7/6/15

Awesome photos !!

If I get closer than 100 yards to one of these guys, poof they're gone. I envy you !

Thanks for sharing!

Jul 08, 2015 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.