New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Hatillo Dreams

FranciscoD

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hatillo Dreams

Hi, first post here.

I'm processing this image for a dreamy mood since the scene in question felt surreal when I took it, also the rarity because this tree trunk can only be seen in great droughts(every 5 years) and I was lucky enough to visit the site in that season.

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:48 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hatillo Dreams

Welcome to FM, and Critique in particular!

To me it's got a more gloomy/somber look. Lots of darkness/contrast.

For surreal/dreamy I would make the scene (at least the boats and tree) brighter and more vibrant. Definitely at least bring up the shadows. Maybe lose some from the right (not much there to feast on) and tighten things up on your main subject?

Lots of potential IMO!

Jeff

Jul 08, 2015 at 07:01 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hatillo Dreams

I like the "dreamy" mood you've captured, a little mystical and magical. One suggestion is to slightly lighten the top and sides of the boats. The painted exteriors look really interesting and making them more prominent would add to the image.

Jul 08, 2015 at 07:58 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hatillo Dreams

I agree with the previous comments. This is an interesting image with a mood. I also agree about cropping off a substantial portion on the right side of the image.

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:41 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hatillo Dreams

I liked the image right off. I think it has good balance and cropping would ruin that. I don't mind the darkness at the right but I might bring up the shadows a tad. But that's your call. The light on the boats and tree and the clouds make this image for me.

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:22 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hatillo Dreams

ben egbert wrote:
I liked the image right off. I think it has good balance and cropping would ruin that. I don't mind the darkness at the right but I might bring up the shadows a tad. But that's your call. The light on the boats and tree and the clouds make this image for me.

If I take some off the right a little will come off the top as well.

Not sure why I didn't say that, but in my dumbass head it was implied.

I do dig the balance of the OP, but I think the right is wasted real estate. Tighten the crop would put more emphasis on the [quite] interesting subjects and still maintain the ratio.

Jeff

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hatillo Dreams

The crop @ off the top can have a dramatic diff changing the balance / weighting of the sky / boats.

Just kinda depends on if you want the "scene" or the "subject" more as your message. If you are going with the wider "scene" ... I might lift the shadows a touch more toward natural falloff. If I go with the tighter "subject" crop, the more dramatic lighting works for me.

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hatillo Dreams

This is the way I would crop it. I think this crop adds emphasis to the main subject while leaving the other elements and mood.

Jul 08, 2015 at 10:13 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hatillo Dreams

+1 @ Jim's crop but maybe a little more space along the bottom though. I really like this capture but it feels too dark and underexposed to my eyes.

Tons of potential here. Nice shot!

Dave

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hatillo Dreams

Dave, I cropped tight on the bottom because I see virtually nothing but black on my monitor. The brightness on my monitor has been turned down since I use it for post processing. Perhaps on another monitor there would be more detail and a larger crop would look better.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:52 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hatillo Dreams

Camperjim wrote:
Dave, I cropped tight on the bottom because I see virtually nothing but black on my monitor. The brightness on my monitor has been turned down since I use it for post processing. Perhaps on another monitor there would be more detail and a larger crop would look better.

+1 at adding some extra room at the bottom, but this was pretty much what I had in mind.

I do believe recovery at the bottom will reveal some nice detail in terms of roots/rocks.

Jeff

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:15 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hatillo Dreams

Yeah, it is pretty dark down there but I do see some goodies that might be able to be pulled up a little like that warm cloud reflection and a few rocks. Also, I wasn't thinking very much more, maybe 1/4 or less of what you removed. It just feels a little too tight in that corner to my eyes.

Either way the OP goes I think they have a winner here with some tweaks.
Looking at it again, if this were my shot I might even make those distant birds/people go away.

Jul 08, 2015 at 02:49 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hatillo Dreams

+1 @ a winner.

One thing about "winners" ... they often give you a plethora of ways to approach them, and they still come out nice no matter how you slice & dice.

Here's but one of those possibilities that kinda sits in the middle of the subject isolation & scene presentation. Nearly identical to Jim's crop, but with a diff profile, trying to connect the lighting to the boats / trunk and pull the dreamy turquoise.

Trying to imagine this rendering on aluminum ...

Jul 08, 2015 at 06:24 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hatillo Dreams

aluminum....or metallic paper.

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:10 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hatillo Dreams

Kent just kinda hit the dream/surreal feel for me.

Ever seen the Robin Williams flick What Dreams May Come?

Ha, or ever ate some acid?

Great shot!

Jeff

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:19 PM
FranciscoD

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hatillo Dreams

First of all, thank you all for your responses and different ways to approach the image, love all the advice, really gives me different opinions on how to develop this shot. I will try to use the different things you guys said, and mix it all in a blender and hopefully the result will be a much better structured image.

beavens wrote:
Welcome to FM, and Critique in particular!

To me it's got a more gloomy/somber look. Lots of darkness/contrast.

For surreal/dreamy I would make the scene (at least the boats and tree) brighter and more vibrant. Definitely at least bring up the shadows. Maybe lose some from the right (not much there to feast on) and tighten things up on your main subject?

Lots of potential IMO!

Jeff

I think I might lift the shadows a litte bit more in the foreground so the eyes get more attracted to that part.

---------------------------------------------

eeneryma wrote:
I like the "dreamy" mood you've captured, a little mystical and magical. One suggestion is to slightly lighten the top and sides of the boats. The painted exteriors look really interesting and making them more prominent would add to the image.

Yes, I was undecided whether to light up more the boats, I'm going to try and up the opacity of that layer.

Camperjim wrote:
I agree with the previous comments. This is an interesting image with a mood. I also agree about cropping off a substantial portion on the right side of the image.

ben egbert wrote:

Thank you!, that's what I was trying to hightlight, I do think that the left part is a little bright/empty, maybe a slight cropping will fix that, or just more D&B

beavens wrote:
If I take some off the right a little will come off the top as well.

Not sure why I didn't say that, but in my dumbass head it was implied.

I do dig the balance of the OP, but I think the right is wasted real estate. Tighten the crop would put more emphasis on the [quite] interesting subjects and still maintain the ratio.

Jeff

I'll try that, thanks.

Camperjim wrote:
This is the way I would crop it. I think this crop adds emphasis to the main subject while leaving the other elements and mood.

Hmm... I think it's a little too tight for my taste but it works every way you crop it.

lighthound wrote:
+1 @ Jim's crop but maybe a little more space along the bottom though. I really like this capture but it feels too dark and underexposed to my eyes.

Tons of potential here. Nice shot!

Dave

Haha glad that you liked it!

beavens wrote:
+1 at adding some extra room at the bottom, but this was pretty much what I had in mind.

I do believe recovery at the bottom will reveal some nice detail in terms of roots/rocks.

Jeff

lighthound wrote:
Yeah, it is pretty dark down there but I do see some goodies that might be able to be pulled up a little like that warm cloud reflection and a few rocks. Also, I wasn't thinking very much more, maybe 1/4 or less of what you removed. It just feels a little too tight in that corner to my eyes.

Either way the OP goes I think they have a winner here with some tweaks.
Looking at it again, if this were my shot I might even make those distant birds/people go away.

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ a winner.

One thing about "winners" ... they often give you a plethora of ways to approach them, and they still come out nice no matter how you slice & dice.

Here's but one of those possibilities that kinda sits in the middle of the subject isolation & scene presentation. Nearly identical to Jim's crop, but with a diff profile, trying to connect the lighting to the boats / trunk and pull the dreamy turquoise.

Trying to imagine this rendering on aluminum ...

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of printing it very soon. I like your edit, I'm going to try and add more contrast to the light in the original and see what happens.

beavens wrote:
Kent just kinda hit the dream/surreal feel for me.

Ever seen the Robin Williams flick What Dreams May Come?

Ha, or ever ate some acid?

Great shot!

Jeff

Hahah, no I haven't :P, glad you liked this image!

Jul 09, 2015 at 02:24 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hatillo Dreams

Late to the game.
First reaction: Wow! A Winner for sure.
Second: Not sure how to improve, although it feels a bit dark/heavy in a kinda vertical soft band on the right.
Third: Kent's rework takes it up another notch.

Anyhow, congrats. This is a beautiful, emotive image.

Scott

Jul 10, 2015 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.