FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

Steve Spencer wrote:
I think when the Otus wide angle lens comes out, others who would have been in the market for the will instead want the best lens available and at that point it will likely be the Otus. So, I see the market softening on this lens because of people like me who would go for the Summicron and other who would go for the Otus.

We've debated this in other threads, but I suspect the Otus isn't going wider than 35 (unless they're going to be more flexible about the quality expectations) because it would just have to be too big. But either way, I hope you're right that it'll soften the market for the 28/2.8 v2 because I'd really love to have one but not at the current prices.

Jul 08, 2015 at 05:39 AM
DanPBrown
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

Even though I bought the lens about 7 years ago I have very little experience with it. My photography career went into hiatus about 6 years ago.
I just sold a 28mm CY f/2.8, 125 CV macro, CY 35mm Shift, and a Pentax 200mm SMC f/4 macro.
The lenses that I won't sell are, 90mm f/2 OM macro and 60mm CY f/2.8 1:1 macro. I'm on the fence with my 90TSE, Nikon 14-24, and Canon 180mm macro. The new sigma 180mm f/2.8 macro looks interesting.
Dan

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:04 AM
JonPB
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

My response - to play off Lee - is that "better" is a strong word.

To me, the Elmarit-R 28 E55 represents a local plateau of what can be achieved with spherical lenses. Current aspheric designs have probably surpassed it in terms of edge modulation at high resolution, and future designs certainly will. To my eye, however, the mark of a great lens is what happens when aberrations dominate the subject structure. I'd describe what I've seen among good lenses as aspherics having a brittle quality and purely spherics as having a robust quality. Neither is inherently superior, but the simple fact that we're unlikely to see a spherical 28mm prime ever surpass the Elmarit means that I expect it to remain a collector's item for some time among both Leica and rendering aficionados.

I suppose my point is this: the Elmarit is good enough that "better" means "better suited to a given photographer's discerning taste" rather than "superior in every way." Like with a lot of kit these days, unless you can point to a specific benefit for you in using another lens, I'd recommend keeping what you have. One of those benefits might be that you can replace it with a much less expensive lens without giving up much in terms of results; another might be higher resolution at your shooting aperture range of choice, including lenses that open a stop or more wider; another might be connection with the camera, allowing faster workflows and automatic correction of aberrations.

Personally, I hope that the Batis 25 knocks everyone's socks off and causes the price on this lens to drop precipitously so that I can justify buying it, but I don't expect its price to fall any more than the Summilux-R 50 E60 has in the face of lenses that might be technically superior for far less money. To me, the enduring value of the R line is its combination of durability, forward compatibility, and optical quality. The Elmarit-R 28 E55 is certainly representative of those traits. There are better options depending on how different metrics are balanced, but not for my purposes and desires.

Cheers,
Jon

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:10 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

Why not wait to see how it performs on the A7rII?

Jul 08, 2015 at 05:32 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

Listen to Jack Leica R lenses are a great investment. The 28mm is one of the best if not the very best 28mm I have used. People are so obsessed with sharpness ! Yes its important. What is also important is color fidelity. The Leica 28mm produces absolutely stunning colors.

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:51 PM
DanPBrown
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

You guys have convinced me to keep it.
Dan

Jul 09, 2015 at 06:55 AM
aly324
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R II keep or let go

JonPB wrote:
To me, the Elmarit-R 28 E55 represents a local plateau of what can be achieved with spherical lenses. Current aspheric designs have probably surpassed it in terms of edge modulation at high resolution, and future designs certainly will. To my eye, however, the mark of a great lens is what happens when aberrations dominate the subject structure. I'd describe what I've seen among good lenses as aspherics having a brittle quality and purely spherics as having a robust quality. Neither is inherently superior, but the simple fact that we're unlikely to see a spherical 28mm prime ever surpass the Elmarit
...Show more

Well said, Jon. The distinction between "brittle" and "robust" resonates with my experience of R lenses. Adan's thread on leica user forum articulates the qualities of Mandler and slightly-post Mandler spherical designs very well too:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/45272-in-praise-of-the-mandler-lenses/

Jul 10, 2015 at 12:27 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.