Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

subgenius
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

I just purchased the Canon 70D mainly for shooting video. I've been trying to decide on a lens. So far the Canon 18-135 IS USM STM is the lens that seems to be most recommended. I currently own the Sigma 24-105 F4 and the Tokina 16-28 f2.8. My other camera is a Canon 6D. I realize the Sigma lens from what I have read would work well, but I dont want to be switching the Sigma from the 6D to the 70D and back. I would rather have a lens specifically for the 70D.

What other lenses would you use or would you recommend? Are the STM lenses the way to go? What about the Canon 40mm STM or the 18-55STM? What advantages or disadvantages are there to these lenses? What about IS? Most of what I shoot will either be landscape or my dog, so it could be moving or stationary. Thanks in advance for your input.

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:57 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

I assume you want to be able to use movie servo without stuttering, twitching or noise? Then a STM lens like the 18-135 is the way to go. If you prefocus your clips or use MF, then if doesn't matter and you can use any lens that suits your needs. I often use the EF-s 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS USM on my 70D and it's the only USM zoom I know of that's silent to onboard mics and doesn't stutter. It's surprisingly smooth during movie servo but is a bit fast if you're into focus pulls.

I also have the EF 40 2.8 STM and, while it's very smooth, the 70D mics pick it up during AF. Of course, you could use outboard audio or an external mics to get around the AF noise. The 18-55 STM works well--silent to onboard mics and smooth during servo--but I don't care for the cheap feel and small zoom range.

If you're shooting video on a tripod, IS is normally turned off.

All of my recent videos--the past year--on my YouTube channel were shot with the 70D and 15-85. Movie servo is extremely smooth and it never twitches or jerks, unlike the other USM lenses I've tried.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PeterFrary/

Jul 07, 2015 at 10:43 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

The 18-55 and 18-135 STM lenses are your primary choices; their drawbacks are that they aren't the sharpest lenses (not likely to matter for 2MP 1080p video), and that they're slower zooms which can limit your focus isolation possibilities.

A couple of further options would include the 50/1.8 STM- it may be a bit loud (you should be using an external hot-shoe mic at least), but it's not as loud as the 40/2.8 STM, while it provides significantly better focus isolation, and worlds better focus isolation than the zooms- and it's only US$125.

Also are Canon's wide stabilized primes. They're more expensive, but they are quite nice- the 35/2 IS USM in particular would give you a 'normal' perspective on the 70D along with excellent IS and smooth focus pulls.

Jul 07, 2015 at 10:59 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

I love my EF 35 2.0 USM for stills but it shutters and jerks like crazy with movie servo so it's mainly a MF or prefocus lens with video. My EF 50 1.8 STM is great for video but, like John mentioned, needs outboard audio or an external mic. It's a bit long so I end up with my tripod jammed against the wall when shooting music videos in my studio.

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:24 AM
subgenius
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

Thanks for your input guys. Its really helpful. I also failed to mention setup on the 70D for video. I used this tutorial for that. What do you think? Is there changes you would make or do you use a complete different setup?

thanks

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

Not how I'd setup it up but Canon gives you dozens of choice because we all have different tastes and needs.

Jul 07, 2015 at 01:02 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

I may have missed it being mentioned, but you might add the EF-S 10-18 IS STM to get some wide angle shots. With the 70D 'video' centric I'd put together a three lens STM based kit, 10-18, 18-135, 50 1.8, might add the 55-250 later on just for the extra reach

Thought your video was a good starter, well put together!

Jul 07, 2015 at 01:29 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

What about the newish 24 mm 2.8 STM? It is only $149. has anyone tried that out for video - or stills for that matter?

All I have for Canon right now is the 7DII. I will have to pick up an SL1 or similar, then buy the nw 24 mm and 50 mm to play with, along with my 40 mm.

Jul 07, 2015 at 05:47 PM
matthewm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

I have the 10-18, 24 and 50 STM with the 70D. Just got it all today after switching back from Sony mirrorless, but my initial tests are quite impressive. I'll try and snag a few samples for you and do some audio tests to see what, if any, noises show up via a hotshoe mic.

From the few shots I've taken, I'm super impressed with these little lenses. Canon has stepped up their build game quite a bit, it seems.

Jul 07, 2015 at 07:16 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

I love ultrawide. My favorite was 16-35 2.8 II on 5d3. I also like the 40 stm on the 70D.
as for the commenter about sharpness of 18-55 and 18-135 a few points
1. those lenses are actually pretty sharp
2. of course 1 does not matter. Not only b/c as you said, you are looking at a 2Mp image, but also b/c the camera sensors with skipping lines for video (except some of the new cameras) produce notoriously unsharp images. A stil taken at minimum resoluton is going to have for more detail and sharpness.
What matters far more are color and contrast.

The tamron 24-70 VC is also a good choice on full frame.

Jul 07, 2015 at 08:54 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

Yes, I agree the 10-18 STM is an amazing ultra wide zoom, perfect for shooting video on stage or any confined space. I always use outboard audio since I mainly shoot classical music but the guide tracks from the 10-18 STM has absolutely no focus noise. The 24 2.8 STM has a wee bit of noise but less than the 40 2.8 STM and 50 1.8 STM.

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:50 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What lens do you use for Canon video?

fd 300mm f2.8l

Jul 08, 2015 at 12:04 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.