New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Workflow on Calibrated Monitor

Sigur Ros

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Workflow on Calibrated Monitor

Hey Guys i will try to explain exactly what i mean.

A month ago i first time calibrated my monitor with X-Rite product , and since then i pretty satisfied i got really nice colours , but with some warm subtle cast over my monitor.

Thats the issue , since I have the warm cast screen,all photograph i post process and which look beautiful on my screen on my other laptops are rather little bit cold since i don't keep them calibrated (factory defaults are rather on the cold side since manufactuer want to get good colours for movies , games , etc.)

Also all my friends , some of them like me hobbyist photographers don't have they monitor calibrated and they all look my image in the way i don't .. ?

How to find a golden middle , can you find sense in what I'm asking , maybe someone encountered this problem and found a good solution?

The other thing which is also little bit annoying is that my B&W imagers look little bit on the sepia but nothing serious, enough also that i can't see true B&W.

Should i make much warmer images on my screen so they will appear good on much every screen ? or what ?

Please advice?
Thanks..

ps. This image of my place is rather warm on my screen and i got a nice yellowish cast on the houses in the middle of the photo, how is it on your monitors ?
https://500px.com/photo/114166167/lepetane-by-stefan-krivokapic?from=user_library

Jul 07, 2015 at 06:25 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Workflow on Calibrated Monitor

when you do the screen calibration, what are you setting the color temp & luminance values to ? What software are you using to do the image processing?
You could edit your 'master' and then make a couple of variations which are warmer and then test/decide what works better for your friend's monitors; then simply save the change as a preset and export.

On my not particularly well calibrated laptop screen, the image looks pretty good w/ most of the 'whites' hovering around -2a* and +1b* (although I personally would brighten up the row of houses a bit as they are getting lost in the tonality)

The side of the house on the right middle shows almost perfect grey (using the Apple built-in 'color meter' since I can't download it and poke around in Photoshop).

Jul 07, 2015 at 06:58 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Workflow on Calibrated Monitor

In both of my monitors, uncalibrated I have a modestly warm color which is corrected by the X-rite.

We are making a couple assumptions that may not be true:

1. X-rite is working properly and created a profile. This profile is color accurate.
2. Your image processing software is using the X-rite profile.

Jul 07, 2015 at 07:57 AM
Sigur Ros

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Workflow on Calibrated Monitor

Im using just the basic calibrator ColorMunki Smile and all the adjustments are automatic.
I know its not the best in the world but my screen image overall looks great after calibration on my iMac 27 " ...

Now on iMac I have in preferences to manually future more tweak the colours maybe i should pull out the warm cast or i should keep it the same?
For image processing I'm using CS6,DxO,Lightroom. Photomatix for HDRs..

"although I personally would brighten up the row of houses a bit as they are getting lost in the tonality)"
Maybe i should also adjust my luminance as on my screen they are correctly exposed as i did actually brighten them up in Photoshop.

What i can do to test that my screen is showing correct colours and brightness for online portfolio on example?
I always keep sRGB colour profile for web so only the monitor colours are troubling me.

howardm4 wrote:
when you do the screen calibration, what are you setting the color temp & luminance values to ? What software are you using to do the image processing?
You could edit your 'master' and then make a couple of variations which are warmer and then test/decide what works better for your friend's monitors; then simply save the change as a preset and export.

On my not particularly well calibrated laptop screen, the image looks pretty good w/ most of the 'whites' hovering around -2a* and +1b* (although I personally would brighten up the row of houses a bit as they are getting
...Show more

Jul 07, 2015 at 08:28 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.