New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sandblown

OregonSun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sandblown

Went camping on the Oregon Coast over the holiday weekend, the light wasn't the greatest, and it was very windy. These were all shot in ~30mph winds, handheld, wearing sunglasses to keep the blowing sand out of my eyes. I was hoping to capture some of the wildness of the experience. Do any of these accomplish that? Any other feedback also greatly appreciated. Feel free to play with any of the images. Thanks in advance.

Heron

Jul 06, 2015 at 11:41 PM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sandblown

One more

Jul 06, 2015 at 11:43 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sandblown

Nice pics!

In terms of message, 1 and 5 do the best at conveying the ideas of movement and action, with 5 being my favorite one of the set.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 07, 2015 at 06:39 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sandblown

Perhaps some adjustments in PS to curves and levels to make it pop more.

Jul 07, 2015 at 07:56 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sandblown

Welcome to FM, Critique!
this is a very interesting series and I am glad you shared a number of images.
All have interesting patterns, play of dark and light, sun and shadow, range of textures making them quite engaging. I think the challenge is what to include/exclude and how to keep the eye moving along a dominant flow before detouring to other areas of interest. Your fifth image stands out in this way to me.
For the first, I would go more pano, cropping from the bottom to the bottom of the arching sand. Foreground sand doesn't add much, IMO.
In the third, consider a square crop, cutting from the bottom to where the dark shadow edges the sand on the right edge.
In the fourth, a sliver off from the left?

Scott

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:11 AM
OregonSun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sandblown

Jeff,

Thanks for the feedback, your picks align with mine. Interesting that the shots in to the wind have more impact. I had to stop shooting in to the wind when my filter became covered with salt spray and sand. I took it off and only shot downwind with the naked lens, no way was I going to get the filter clean without damaging it out there.

eenyrma,

I agree, added some pop.

Scott,

Thanks for the crop suggestions, especially the square. I couldn't decide between the portrait and landscape versions of that scene, in this case the square is the best of both worlds.

Here are revisions of my three favorites.

Jul 07, 2015 at 08:52 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sandblown

Right up my alley - well done Heron!

Jeff

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:28 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sandblown

Your edits look nice! #3 in your edits really stands out to me and conveys the message of high winds. The multiple lead-in lines and the details you captured in FG sand make this shot IMHO.

Dave

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:30 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.