Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 2 Shots and an Apology

I have had several emails more recently by some FM followers asking me why I don't post on FM very much any more. I just want to apologize to those who follow my work for not being very consistent here. The main issue is that I now live out of my vehicle or tent, on the road 365 days a week, either leading photography workshops or doing my own personal shooting. The problem is that it is usually impossible for me to do critical editing off my system out of my car. So the volume of post processing has taken a decline lately. Sometimes, I will drop by a friends or family members house or just get a hotel to get it done. My main goal (and business plan) this year and next is to lead, lead, lead (the tours) and shoot, shoot, shoot. So far, so good. I am quite happy and my life is one crazy adventure.

But to be clear, I will make efforts to do better and get the images to the public more. Thank you for both your understanding and support. I do always post on 500px though: https://500px.com/MarkMetternich

Thank you for your understanding.

See you out there!

Oh and here are two of the last images I posted, with more on the way:

Pacific Forces:

No, this is not Iceland or some remote hidden location in some obscure country, this is the great Pacific Northwest, USA. A place I am quite proud to have been born and raised and have been very fortunate to be able to make a full living leading photography tours. The Pacific Northwest is still one of the most diverse places in the entire world for epic landscape, and if you are willing to get off the beaten path, original landscape. Yes, I love to go to epic distant lands, but I love to come home at least as much!

Revision - Magenta Fix in Shadows

Edited on Jul 07, 2015 at 12:35 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2015 at 12:07 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Grand Bend

At 3000 feet down (915 Meters) this might be the largest goose-neck bend in the world (remote Grand Canyon). Words can not describe what it is like, seeing it in person. The best way is to park your vehicle right near the edge and car-camp out in the remote with the canyon right out your vehicle or tent opening. Also, truly awe inspiring is to watch the Milky Way come up right over the the scene.

Jul 06, 2015 at 12:08 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 2 Shots and an Apology

2 shots! man you really want to win the thread of the week :P haha /jk.

It was nice to finally see a coast shot from you, hope there's more coming!

Jason

Jul 06, 2015 at 12:24 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Very nice imaging, Mark. I think you post here adequately and are well received. Enjoy your time on the road.

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:00 PM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Spectacular!!! I see you opened up your 2016 calendar. I am making it a point to attend one of your workshops but just cannot decide which one!! I love the PNW, as well as the monsoon light of the desert SW. Decisions, decisions....

Saw these on 500px and on FB - no less inspiring here!!

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:07 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Cool lifestyle Mark ! I love them both but #2 is particularly awesome.

Jul 06, 2015 at 01:08 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Nice to see you posting again Mark. Both are stunning images. You are living a great life adventure. Enjoy every minute you can.

Jul 06, 2015 at 02:17 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 2 Shots and an Apology

CarlG wrote:
Spectacular!!! I see you opened up your 2016 calendar. I am making it a point to attend one of your workshops but just cannot decide which one!! I love the PNW, as well as the monsoon light of the desert SW. Decisions, decisions....

Saw these on 500px and on FB - no less inspiring here!!

Hi Carl. Thank you!

I will be listing about 15 more workshops soon. Something like Patagonia in April, a MEGA workshop from the top of the Washington Coast down through the entire Oregon Coast, and also the northern Cali Coast (May or June), Then two or three Best of the Pacific Northwest tours, followed by at least 6 Southwest Tours. Sorry for the delay in getting that information on my website and the 2016 PDF's to the people on my email announcement list...

Jul 06, 2015 at 06:42 PM
IShootThings
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Great work as always.

Jul 06, 2015 at 07:46 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Fun stuff as always. The light in the 1st looks a bit on the green side (tint), esp in the rock faces. Great images again sir.

aF

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:19 PM
ArturS
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Sweet transition in the sky of the second image.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:01 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 2 Shots and an Apology

you should apologize more often =) nice stuff mark

Jul 06, 2015 at 10:43 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Great sky on that canyon shot. Good stuff.

Jul 07, 2015 at 08:11 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Mark Metternich wrote:
No, this is not Iceland or some remote hidden location in some obscure country, this is the great Pacific Northwest, USA. A place I am quite proud to have been born and raised and have been very fortunate to be able to make a full living leading photography tours. The Pacific Northwest is still one of the most diverse places in the entire world for epic landscape, and if you are willing to get off the beaten path, original landscape. Yes, I love to go to epic distant lands, but I love to come home at least as much!

...Show more

That's funny, for me the Pacific Northwest is the epic distant land far from home and Iceland is the easy to reach place close to home.
But I agree that the Pacific Northwest belongs to the top 10 landscape locations in the world. My flights to Vancouver for another visit are already booked.

And great images, as always.

Boris

Jul 07, 2015 at 01:14 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Hey Mark,

These both are very nice images, I like the natural feel to both of them. Now it sounds like you do have a very crazy life going on now, but it also sounds pretty fun.

Jim

Jul 07, 2015 at 01:18 PM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Two instead of one, sweet images, delighted.

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:33 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Man I could use one of those 365 day weeks!

The 1st shot is gorgeously perfect, and to be quite honest, one of the first truly good uses for 11mm that I have ever seen.

The 2nd shot, as I've thought to myself before, could use a 4:5 crop that loses the topmost portion of the image.

Good luck in the upcoming workshops! Maybe we'll cross paths this summer in the Southwest...

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:53 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 2 Shots and an Apology

Awesome shots Mark - really like them both. Sounds like you're having a blast too - that's the way to do it

Jul 09, 2015 at 08:42 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 2 Shots and an Apology

A huge that you everyone! Very much appreciate the comments and feedback.

Bobu wrote:
That's funny, for me the Pacific Northwest is the epic distant land far from home and Iceland is the easy to reach place close to home.
But I agree that the Pacific Northwest belongs to the top 10 landscape locations in the world. My flights to Vancouver for another visit are already booked.

And great images, as always.

Boris

Thank you Boris! Well if I did not live here, I surely would want to! So I get what you mean. I hope you have great opportunities to come.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 2 Shots and an Apology

matthewsaville wrote:
Man I could use one of those 365 day weeks!

The 1st shot is gorgeously perfect, and to be quite honest, one of the first truly good uses for 11mm that I have ever seen.

The 2nd shot, as I've thought to myself before, could use a 4:5 crop that loses the topmost portion of the image.

Good luck in the upcoming workshops! Maybe we'll cross paths this summer in the Southwest...

Thank you Matt.

I have been using the 11mm (11-24mm) incessantly since I purchased it. I will be posting a lot more at 11mm that I think you may end up liking. My favorite lens on the planet.

Jul 16, 2015 at 04:32 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.