New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Intheswamp
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alternatives to PayPal?

There are so many stories of sellers getting scammed by buyers using PayPal that it has me fearful of using it. The other simple options are money orders, cashiers checks, or personal checks. I know nothing of the different types of electronic transfers I see mentioned occasionally.

If you take money orders or checks, is there a waiting period for them to clear before shipping? Do you ship immediately upon receipt? I've had a few folks trust me in taking checks and money orders in the past and shipped the item quickly to me...one even cross-mailed my purchase. Is it just something you have to make a judgement call on?

I've got a few small items I'd like to sale but hesitating due to the risk involved...but, I guess that's the risk we have to take.

Any comments on other forms of secure online payment?

Thanks,
Ed

Jul 06, 2015 at 10:03 AM
JonSC

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alternatives to PayPal?

A USPS money order will usually have no waiting period because if it is a legitimate money order, you can receive your money for it on the spot and the deal is done. I cannot comment on checks because I have never dealt with them for B&S but I'd say money orders a little bit safer. Still, money orders and checks are risky because you run the risk of the seller just taking your money and not shipping anything back to you.

Jul 06, 2015 at 05:36 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alternatives to PayPal?

There is a lot of fraud these days with money orders, cashiers checks, and just about anything. Printers are so good, that anything can be forged. Read up on it on the great WWW.

Let the seller beware. You can get scammed 50 different ways. And I hate to say it, but a large part of establishing comfort is simple experience. You need to build your experience level up. Sell small items, then build up. Personally, I have never had a problem with PayPal or eBay. But when I sell anything it's exactly what I said it was, and actually, always even better.

Jul 06, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that with a postal money order that if you cash it at the post office then it's a done deal and no comeback on it. Other means of payment might be suspect. ckcarr, you are very right....when copy machines are so good that anybody can become a counterfeiter of US$ (excluding some of the security features) then a money order or bank check should be easy for them. I've only sold a few items on eBay and elsewhere online and I'll say that what I sold exceeded the buyer's expectations. Ah well, I'll probably continue on with using Paypal...the largest sell was a qrp radio several years ago and it went well.

Thanks again for the feedback,
Ed

Jul 07, 2015 at 07:34 AM
genesis2015

[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alternatives to PayPal?

ckcarr wrote:
There is a lot of fraud these days with money orders, cashiers checks, and just about anything. Printers are so good, that anything can be forged. Read up on it on the great WWW.

Let the seller beware. You can get scammed 50 different ways. And I hate to say it, but a large part of establishing comfort is simple experience. You need to build your experience level up. Sell small items, then build up. Personally, I have never had a problem with PayPal or eBay. But when I sell anything it's exactly what I said it was, and actually, always
...Show more

I too would stick with paypal.It's really nice to make people buying your item feel comfortable and i think every buyer feels comfortable using paypal.

Jul 13, 2015 at 06:27 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Of course Buyers are comfortable. Hell, they've got six freaking months to get a return on the item by the simple lodging of a complaint with PayPal. So.... What's not to like?

Jul 14, 2015 at 09:09 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alternatives to PayPal?

anthonysemone wrote:
Of course Buyers are comfortable. Hell, they've got six freaking months to get a return on the item by the simple lodging of a complaint with PayPal. So.... What's not to like?

And also those here on FM that morph into new users overnight plus move from Alabama,Pinson to a spot in an intersection in Nashua, NH in 24 hours Anthony!!
Dan

Edited on Aug 15, 2015 at 12:09 PM · View previous versions

Jul 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Dan, yes I saw that schmuck 😈😈 I'm betting he's using something like anonymizer to spoof his location and his IP. F'er Grrrrr

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:22 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Really wish more people would get on board with Bitcoin It might not be the final cryptocurrency when the digital dust finally settles, but the general ignorance and fear associated with it boggles my mind.

It's treated me extremely well, fast, secure, negligible fees, and the only people that have lost on it were foolishly speculating or foolishly trusting other people with their security and funds.

All this PP gifting going on but nobody using BTC? What gives?

Aug 15, 2015 at 08:15 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Found this on another forum (Computer related forum - if interested) I frequent: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1837966

::

Amazon Payments ended on the 13th of October for individual payments. R.I.P. That leaves the majority of us stuck using PayPal. I personally dislike PayPal/PayPal policies and I think most others would agree.

I have only listed options I have personal experience with. PLEASE feel free to add a suggestion/make a change.

I made this fairly quickly so it is a work in progress.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

**ANY payment method with a credit card can be chargedback.**
**ANY payment method with a bank account can have an ACH dispute opened.**
**ANY payment method with a debit card can be disputed via issued bank.**

Google Wallet

Pros:
FREE to send money via bank account, wallet balance, & debit card!!
Instant payment for debit/CC/wallet balance and some banks*?

Cons:
Payments with credit cards have 2.9% fee

Notes:
There was a promo where the first $250 sent via CC had no fee, however, I do not know if that promo is still available.
*Need to confirm that all banks allow instant transfers

Dwolla- LINK

Pros:
$0.25 fee per transaction, or free for transactions of $10 or less
Instant payment if funding with balance

Cons:
They have NO form of CC/Debit card payments.

Notes:
Dwolla has a nominal dispute process.

MoneyPak/PayPal MyCash Cards

Pros:
Low cost - $3.95 for MyCash/$4.95 for MoneyPak
Instant payment (Codes can be scratched and sent via PM/e-mail)
No chargebacks

Cons:
Must be purchased at CVS, Rite Aid, Walmart, ect.
No buyer protection
$500 load limit per card
Limit on how much you can apply to your PayPal account per day/month
Required to enter your SSN upon redeeming via PayPal.

Notes:
A credit card can be used to purchase these in most cases, this allows you to receive cash back which will negate the fee in same cases.

Chase QuickPay

Pros:
FREE, no fees
Instant payment
Seller does NOT need to have a Chase checking account/VISA

Cons:
BUYER MUST have a Chase checking account/VISA

Notes:

USPS Money Order

Pros:
Safe way to receive payment for a seller - No chargebacks
Low cost/fee ( $0-$500 $1.25, $500-$1000 $1.65)

Cons:
Limited buyer protection
Must be mailed to the recipient at an additional cost

Notes:
I personally have only used USPS money orders for firearm sells/purchases. The amount of time needed to use this method will be a major deciding factor for most people.

Bitcoin (BTC)

Pros:
No chargebacks
FREE, no fees to send
Instant payment

Cons:
NO buyer protection
Price FULCTUATES A LOT
Hard to obtain, costs a fee to obtain
Hard to transfer to actual cash(if you don't have a wallet like Coinbase)

Notes:
I only have experience with Coinbase. I personally do not like BTC.

PopMoney - LINK

Pros:
$0.95 flat fee on all payments
Money moves directly from bank account to bank account

Cons:
Not instant - transfers take as little as 1 day for debit cards and 3 days for bank accounts
Debit Card has $500 daily/$1000 monthly limit
Bank account has $2000 daily/$10k monthly limit

Notes:

Venmo - LINK

Pros:
FREE payments via balance, bank account, & major debit cards

Cons:
Only major debit cards accepted, check their site for a complete list
3% fee for credit cards
Must verify SSN to have unlimited cash outs
Must verify SSN to have a $3000 weekly sending limit (starts @ $300)

Notes:

Walmart 2 Walmart - LINK

Pros:
Semi decent fees: $4.50 to transfer up to $50, and a flat rate of $9.50 to transfer between $50 - $900

Cons:
$900 sending limit
Can only be used with cash/debit cards
Must be at a Walmart to send and receive money
No buyer protection

Notes:
This is basically a cheaper alternative to Western Union for sending money within the US.

Aug 21, 2015 at 06:38 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Really nice work, Etherton. thanks very much for putting in the time and effort to construct this list.

Aug 21, 2015 at 09:33 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Thanks Anthony, but I just copied and pasted the info. Seemed like what the OP is asking for... can't take credit for it

Aug 21, 2015 at 04:36 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Even so, you did the work and I found it very useful. to you, Sir.

Aug 21, 2015 at 06:30 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Be aware that all transactions are reversible if found to be criminal, even if just bartering goats. Reversal may be simple corrective action by a third party with control over the asset (think PayPay), or be more involved like a court proceeding. In the end, you have recourse unless the culprit goes on the lam forever, or moves to North Korea. The big advantage of banks and the postal service are the legal protections you have if defrauded. For bank fraud and postal fraud, we're talking prison. Perhaps you know about the United States Postal Inspection Service, including their (armed) police. If you are trying to cheat someone with US Postal Orders, you do not want to see this come knocking on your door:

Similarly for any kind of fraud using bank transactions, including checks and wire transfer.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:32 PM
Intheswamp
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alternatives to PayPal?

Thanks for those summaries, ethr3ton, very helpful.

Ed

Aug 22, 2015 at 09:01 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.