FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

JameelH wrote:
The focus only happens when you press the AF-ON (or * if you prefer). Otherwise the camera never tries to focus when you actuate the shutter either with the shutter button or a remote. And not just restricted to bracketing either. You can also leave the lens AF switch on all the time.

Yep, I remember how it works, you reassign focus to a different button and then you need to remember which button. I tried this when I was doing birds and I never got used to it. But I will try it again with the slower pace of landscape and see if I can retrain myself.

Jul 06, 2015 at 06:49 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

Ok, assigned the focus to * and tried a hand held burst mode HDR. Works fine if I can remember where I assigned it.

Notice the HDR programs aligns the image fine, so if stuff does not move while shooting, it can do a pretty good job. Some leaves are ghosting here, but the bricks are very sharp.

hand held HDR

Jul 06, 2015 at 07:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

Clarification on back button controls. I had not played with this for over 5 years, so I had to re-educate myself. Maybe this is common knowledge, but in case it is not, here goes.

The whole purpose is to remove focus from the default shutter release button and to assign it to another button that will acquire focus for subsequent shots without changing. This actually requires two steps.

1. Assign focus to a back button. I assigned mine to AF-ON. This will let the AF-ON acquire focus, but the focus will continue to hunt when you move to other places.

2. Lock focus. This needs another button assignment. I assigned it to *.

The sequence is now to place the focus target where desired and press AF-On to acquire and * to freeze.

Now I can use the target for exposure without changing focus and I can also shoot a bracketed sequence without refocus.

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:45 AM
drewmey
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

Instead of "Lock focus", I thought one would just change the shutter button to only meter and trigger (vs. FOCUS, meter and trigger). That's how I have my 6D setup. That way when you press the shutter, it doesn't focus (aka press AF-ON until focus is achieved and then let go before recomposing...if you are at all, click shutter as many times as desired). No?

Or are you doing this for metering reasons?

Jul 07, 2015 at 11:55 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

drewmey wrote:
Instead of "Lock focus", I thought one would just change the shutter button to only meter and trigger (vs. FOCUS, meter and trigger). That's how I have my 6D setup. That way when you press the shutter, it doesn't focus (aka press AF-ON until focus is achieved and then let go before recomposing...if you are at all). No?

My camera hunts focus unless I lock it. Unless I am missing something. I need to lock focus to allow bursts without attempting to refocus each time..

Jul 07, 2015 at 12:05 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

You need to also remove focus from the shutter. The way I ihave t setup is AF-On to focus, * to AE lock and shutter release to take the shot.

Jul 07, 2015 at 12:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

JameelH wrote:
You need to also remove focus from the shutter. The way I ihave t setup is AF-On to focus, * to AE lock and shutter release to take the shot.

Right, I have removed focus from the shutter and moved it to AF-ON. And then I have focus lock on *. Then I can use the shutter or a cable to take the shot. I can also change exposures after focus acquisition without a change of focus.

This will be a new thing for me and I hope I like it.

Jul 07, 2015 at 02:49 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

Ben, assuming the 5DsR works the same as my 5DII and every other Canon DSLR I've had, once you release whatever button you have assigned focus to, focusing should stop, wherever it is. There shouldn't be a need to separately lock focus with another button. You do, of course need to remove focus from the shutter button so that focus doesn't start right up again once the shutter button is pressed. But I don't understand why simply releasing the AF-ON button doesn't effectively lock focus, until you initiate it again. You should be able to acquire focus and fire off a burst without worrying that it will change.

Dave

Jul 07, 2015 at 03:02 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

dsjtecserv wrote:
Ben, assuming the 5DsR works the same as my 5DII and every other Canon DSLR I've had, once you release whatever button you have assigned focus to, focusing should stop, wherever it is. There shouldn't be a need to separately lock focus with another button. You do, of course need to remove focus from the shutter button so that focus doesn't start right up again once the shutter button is pressed. But I don't understand why simply releasing the AF-ON button doesn't effectively lock focus, until you initiate it again. You should be able to acquire focus and fire off
...Show more

I have verified this exact behavior with the 5DsR as well..

Jul 07, 2015 at 03:08 PM
drewmey
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

dsjtecserv wrote:
Ben, assuming the 5DsR works the same as my 5DII and every other Canon DSLR I've had, once you release whatever button you have assigned focus to, focusing should stop, wherever it is. There shouldn't be a need to separately lock focus with another button. You do, of course need to remove focus from the shutter button so that focus doesn't start right up again once the shutter button is pressed. But I don't understand why simply releasing the AF-ON button doesn't effectively lock focus, until you initiate it again. You should be able to acquire focus and fire off
...Show more

This is more or less what I was trying to get at. I never lock focus. I just let go of the AF-ON. Shutter doesn't focus if you hit it a hundred times as long as you have removed focus from the shutter button.

Jul 07, 2015 at 03:17 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

Well releasing it from the shutter does stop it from focusing when that button is engaged, but it still try's to acquire focus in live view if the focus is no longer valid for the target box. For example if I focus off center, then move the box to another place to acquire exposure, it will attempt to find focus. In fact I notice if I put the lens cap on before turning it off, it will hunt.

So what function do I have wrong?

I am not in AI servo but I do have multi exposure engaged and burst mode.

Jul 07, 2015 at 03:47 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

I got my cheapo third party wired remote today (link). I verified that each press of the remote triggers a single exposure of the bracket, which allows me to space the exposures far enough apart so that each benefits from the EFCS. Getting the timing down between each press is a little tricky in LV - there's a bit of delay before the camera responds to the next shutter press and if you press too soon from the last then the camera wont respond. I found it easier to time if I I use LV Silent Shooting Mode #2 - that way when you release the button after a short delay the camera is always ready for the next shot.

A better way to do this would be to use a continuous shooting mode - you could dial in a slow FPS like 2 and let that naturally space between the exposures and just hold the remote button down for the entire bracketing sequence. I verified this works on the 7DM2. Unfortunately the 5DS/R doesn't have an option to set the FPS for continuous shooting, for either (H)igh or (L)ow.

Jul 07, 2015 at 04:55 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

snapsy wrote:
I got my cheapo third party wired remote today (link). I verified that each press of the remote triggers a single exposure of the bracket, which allows me to space the exposures far enough apart so that each benefits from the EFCS. Getting the timing down between each press is a little tricky in LV - there's a bit of delay before the camera responds to the next shutter press and if you press too soon from the last then the camera wont respond. I found it easier to time if I I use LV Silent Shooting Mode #2 -
...Show more

Hmm I use continuous shooting in live view. I use both high speed and s brust. It will take a burst with one click and hold down of the remote. It will stop if it cannot acquire focus or if long exposure NR is invoked. But now that I have af removed from the shutter it will just plug along.

Or is there another continuous shooting I am not aware of? There are three burst, high, normal and silent.

I sometimes hold the shutter too long and get a forth image. An sometimes it hesitates and I don't get the last, but I think that is before I detached focus from shutter.

It would be nice if you could program the remote to take three images with a 2s delay. Not sure that would always be fast enough however.

Jul 07, 2015 at 05:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

ben egbert wrote:
Hmm I use continuous shooting in live view. I use both high speed and s brust. It will take a burst with one click and hold down of the remote. It will stop if it cannot acquire focus or if long exposure NR is invoked. But now that I have af removed from the shutter it will just plug along.

Or is there another continuous shooting I am not aware of? There are three burst, high, normal and silent.

I sometimes hold the shutter too long and get a forth image. An sometimes it hesitates and I don't get the
...Show more

Continuous shooting works - the problem is the 5DS/R doesn't let you set the continuous shooting speed. For H it's fixed @ 5fps, L @ 3fps - both are too fast to allow a long enough delay between exposures for the shutter vibration to settle between exposures (and to benefit from the EFCS for the secondary, tertiary, etc.. exposures)

Jul 07, 2015 at 05:21 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

ben egbert wrote:
Well releasing it from the shutter does stop it from focusing when that button is engaged, but it still try's to acquire focus in live view if the focus is no longer valid for the target box. For example if I focus off center, then move the box to another place to acquire exposure, it will attempt to find focus. In fact I notice if I put the lens cap on before turning it off, it will hunt.

So what function do I have wrong?

I am not in AI servo but I do have multi exposure engaged and burst
...Show more

Just disable continuous focus(first tab camera icon, fifth section within it). That should stop the focus hunting in live view.

Jul 07, 2015 at 05:41 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

JameelH wrote:
Just disable continuous focus(first tab camera icon, fifth section within it). That should stop the focus hunting in live view.

Thanks got it and now I deleted the * function. I have AF-ON assigned to acquire and cont focus off. For action, I left it on and assigned that to C3. I may go back and reset the shutter to start focus there as well. But it will attempt to focus anyway.

Jul 07, 2015 at 06:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5DS-R and UWA and HDR

snapsy wrote:
Continuous shooting works - the problem is the 5DS/R doesn't let you set the continuous shooting speed. For H it's fixed @ 5fps, L @ 3fps - both are too fast to allow a long enough delay between exposures for the shutter vibration to settle between exposures (and to benefit from the EFCS for the secondary, tertiary, etc.. exposures)

Right, I looked around for that but did not see it. I seldom do landscapes above 50mm.

Jul 07, 2015 at 06:29 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.