New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Caving with the 6D

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Caving with the 6D

Took the 6D underground for my first outing with it.
35mm, 1/6s, f/5.6 Auto ISO @ 20,000

Hand-held ("no look" hip shot) with the 16-35/4 (CS6).

100% crop (small jpg) sooc

Edited on Jul 05, 2015 at 10:54 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2015 at 09:15 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Caving with the 6D

This is quite a feat at ISO 20000 to give such a good quality of image, it is hard to beat Canon is on the right path with the 6D can't wait to see the next generation of the 6D...

Francois

Jul 05, 2015 at 09:34 PM
docholliday

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Caving with the 6D

Caving?

I see no knee pads, helmets, headlights, safety gear. Is this a walk-through cave?

Last time I went shooting a cave, I dragged a case of flashbulbs and a 4x5 into the cave on a 2800' initial crawl into a tube that was about 20" high and 4' wide.

Jul 06, 2015 at 05:59 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Caving with the 6D

docholliday wrote:
Caving?

I see no knee pads, helmets, headlights, safety gear. Is this a walk-through cave?

Last time I went shooting a cave, I dragged a case of flashbulbs and a 4x5 into the cave on a 2800' initial crawl into a tube that was about 20" high and 4' wide.

Was Big Nosed Kate with you? :-)

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:33 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Caving with the 6D

RustyBug wrote:
Took the 6D underground for my first outing with it.
35mm, 1/6s, f/5.6 Auto ISO @ 20,000

Hand-held ("no look" hip shot) with the 16-35/4 (CS6).

100% crop (small jpg) sooc

Very impressive, how on earth did you focus it? Or did AF work?

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:34 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Caving with the 6D

That is some noise performance for sure - what's the raw look like with NR applied?

Jeff

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:37 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Caving with the 6D

docholliday wrote:
Caving?

Group walk through ... steady clip to cover the 3 miles in under two hours. Not really one designed for camera ops. Might have been different if I had any control over one of the lanterns (11) dispersed among the 38 folks on the tour. Spaces ranged from 2 acre rooms, to can't stand up, to scrape the walls squeezing through. Would have loved to be able to be "self-paced" with some degree of lighting control.

Not much in the way of keepers, but I learned a lot. Mostly "stop & pop" shooting only, then keep moving ... the lanterns didn't stop. If you let your lighting get away from you, you couldn't see your footing. Shooting @ 1/6s, my "stop & pop" technique was a bit lacking @ stability. I would have needed more time to get off better shots ... not to mention, the need to chimp / adjust for different room / passage size / lantern position ... but the lanterns just stayed on the move. I figured footing was more important than pics on this day (and watching after my beloved).

Violet City Lantern Tour @ Mammoth Cave NP.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Caving with the 6D

Hey Ben,

I'm not sure if this one was an AF @ wait for the beep, then click. Or if it was a manually set focus "by feel" @ infinity, then pull back "by gut" @ distance. I didn't see anything in CS6 File Info to tell me @ AF vs. Manual

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:13 AM
docholliday

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Caving with the 6D

RustyBug wrote:
Violet City Lantern Tour @ Mammoth Cave NP.

Ah, I see..."cave tour", not exactly "caving". Now I understand the old fashion lanterns. We've never used those, we almost all use Petzl nowadays.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:13 AM
docholliday

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Caving with the 6D

ben egbert wrote:
Was Big Nosed Kate with you? :-)

What do you think I was doing at camp once out of the cave?

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:14 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Caving with the 6D

+1 @ Caving vs. Cave Tour ... not exactly the same, but the camera doesn't know the difference.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:16 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Caving with the 6D

Nice shot! Amazing how good the images come out on today's high ISO cameras.

No flash allowed? I'd be inclined to try some bounce flash, if allowed. Painting with light would be impossible on a tour.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:30 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Caving with the 6D

Gunzorro wrote:
No flash allowed?

ABSOLUTELY ... no flash allowed.

The vibe of the tour was to emulate what it would have been like to be there in the early 1800's @ first exploration, while carrying torches only. The lanterns were set to a rather low flame, to keep smoke down also. If you were more than ten feet away from the lantern, you were walking by feel more than by sight.

Heck, just to show you how dark it was even with the lanterns ... one of the guides played a trick.

So, we're walking along the river bed path, which is fairly well defined compared to the rocks that would have been the banks that the river carved through. I'm lagging back to the last group just in front of the guide. We pass by a rock, and I notice a head sitting on it. (kinda looks like the cheesy props you might see elsewhere). I process this first as a "cheesy prop", but given the intense perspective to retain everything in its natural state, that didn't jive in my head. Then, as I pass the head (taking about two steps), I notice the Ranger's hat, and then his body crouched behind the rock.

Here's the thing ... about 30+ people (including those with lanterns) passed right by the ranger, and NONE of them saw him, even though everyone passed within 3-5 feet of him at their side. I was the first in the group to see him, and then the few folks behind me saw him then too and we all had a good laugh @ the first 30+ that missed him.

If I had been quicker on my feet @ thinking it through, I could have gotten a "head shot" of the Ranger with the assistance from a lantern holder ... but, I just wasn't that quick ... i.e. too focused on footwork in the dark.

Yeah, you might say it was a "low light" environment.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:37 AM
docholliday

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Caving with the 6D

We always did a thing to show newbie cavers what happens if they break or lose their headlights. We waited until there was a break, where everybody would turn off their lights to save battery while we relaxed. Once of us would get in the face of another person when somebody would have everybody turn their lights back on. The newbie would always freak out when they powered up because a person would be inches from their face. We tell them that could have been them at a cliff or a solid wall of rock.

They learned their lessons well and handled their equipment more carefully afterwards.

Jul 06, 2015 at 10:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Caving with the 6D

+1 @ experience with total darkness.

I learned it long ago via power outage drills in the engine room and moonless nights in the open ocean.

Albeit, technically the stars provided light, it still wasn't sufficient to see your hand in front of your face. Twenty minutes of accommodation and the sky was flooded with stars, but nope ... still no hand.

Jul 06, 2015 at 10:24 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Caving with the 6D

Sound like a job for infrared.

Jul 06, 2015 at 02:16 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Caving with the 6D

Impressive high ISO shot Kent! And congrats on the new toy! Hope to see lots of good stuff from it soon!

Jul 06, 2015 at 02:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.