New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

deedee4re
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

Hi Everyone,

I visited this person's gallery a couple of months back and just love the look of images printed on Fuji Photoflex high gloss paper with an acrylic frame which really shows off the image without any distractions.

Here is an example of one I just loved: http://mangelsen.com/spring-blossoms-western-tanagers-2995.html

Note there are no big ugly metal pieces on each corner as some show.

Does anyone have a source for someone who do this - perferably in Southern, California, but I am fine with other locations too? I am hesitant to just pick someone online.

Thanks in Advance,

DeeDee Gollwitzer

Jul 05, 2015 at 06:33 PM
AceCo55

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

The link takes me to a photo - no frame
I pretend to buy it but there is no "acrylic frame" option
Can't comment.

Might just be me having a "seniors" moment.

Jul 06, 2015 at 05:04 AM
deedee4re
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

Sorry, that's what the picture looks like. It's not really framed. It's clear acrylic and the image is printed on Fugiflex High Gloss Paper.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:53 AM
fisherman_188

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

What I believe you are referring to is Fuji PhotoFlex paper "face mounted" to the back of 1/8 or 1/4 inch acrylic. Do a Google search on "face mounted acrylic prints." You should find a couple of labs that will do what you want, just realize it is quite the expensive process compared to other prints or even canvas. I have a local lab here in Colorado that does it but there are a few online.

Jul 06, 2015 at 04:43 PM
rorysherman

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

I believe, you can do custom sublimation for photo printing. It is one of the latest trend nowadays and also offers better quality rather than traditional methods.custom sublimation

Jul 08, 2015 at 11:52 PM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

I saw a very nice print recently that I was told was a standard print glued to an aluminum backing then covered with acrylic. I'll get the name of the lab if you are interested.

Jul 12, 2015 at 10:28 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

Face mounting is available . But ordering a metal print from any number of labs will also do the trick.
I use Bay Photo for metal prints and the gloss version is extremely high gloss sublimation print on metal.
Alternatively Google labs using Fuji Photo flex.

Jul 13, 2015 at 08:38 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

To me, the paper print on metal backing looked nicer than the dye to metal prints. The print was around 20-24 inches square, I guess, and cost in the neighborhood of $200 to print, as I remember.

Jul 13, 2015 at 08:44 AM
coops75

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

I had a Fujiflex print face mounted to 1/8 acrylic by Artisan HD. They did a nice job and I thought the price was reasonable. I slid mine into a frame and under a nice white light, it looks great. I also had some 20x30 prints made on glossy metal by Aspen Creek when they were on sale for $99, and they are great too. About a year ago I had a metal print made using a Groupon, and it was horrible. Don't recall who made the print. Anyway, I took the plunge and had a few more made by Aspen and was really impressed. The level of detail surprised me. I expected to lose some considering the process used, but I was wrong.I put them in metal frames also.
Back to the Fujiflex. It is expensive but I think it looks great. I am going to be doing art shows this year and am trying to settle on a way to display my work. I had a lot of images printed to Fujiflex and Crystal archive gloss to compare and while both looked great, I prefer the Fujiflex. Particularly behind acrylic. I had a few images printed on metallic paper and face mounted them myself but was not too thrilled with that paper.

Jul 16, 2015 at 08:39 AM
plateaulight
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

coops75 wrote:
I had a Fujiflex print face mounted to 1/8 acrylic by Artisan HD. They did a nice job and I thought the price was reasonable. I slid mine into a frame and under a nice white light, it looks great. I also had some 20x30 prints made on glossy metal by Aspen Creek when they were on sale for $99, and they are great too. About a year ago I had a metal print made using a Groupon, and it was horrible. Don't recall who made the print. Anyway, I took the plunge and had a few more made
...Show more

You should try the Lumachrome Acrylic prints. They are unquestionably the best Acrylic print process.

Aug 07, 2015 at 03:55 PM
badbulldog

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

Tom Mangelsen has his images printed and mounted by Reed Art & Imaging in Denver, CO. They are the best custom lab I have ever used. Their web page is below.

David Bailey

http://www.reedphoto.com/

Sep 23, 2015 at 04:37 PM
Richard Booth
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

This would be a cab ride for you but I have used them and I highly recommend this company.They are in Hollywood, FL. Here's their website. They just finished a few for me for a gallery and everyone was very impressed with the quality. I know they just took delivery on a 12-cartridge Canon printer as well.

Richard

http://picturethisconcepts.com

Sep 29, 2015 at 03:37 PM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

Yes dye infused prints on aluminum are just as stunning as acrylic face mounts and don't scratch as easily as acrylic. Likely cheaper than a face mount too

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:14 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where to Get Image Printed and Framed - Acrylic Frame

Face mounting a print to acrylic is a terrible thing to do for a print you or your clients plan to have hanging for years. The acrylic is easily scratched and then it is nearly impossible and very expensive to try to save the print.

People are misled by all the long life claims which refer only to UV damage. Mechanical and chemical damage is far more prevalent and constitutes 100% of the restoration work by professional conservationists working with damaged prints.

The larger the print the better it is to have it double matted to provide a gap between the print and the glass. The double matting also helps in areas where there are earthquakes as if the glass breaks it is less likely to cut into the surface of the print.
If it is an inkjet print that is going to be expected to have a life of many years then it should be mounted in an airtight frame for protection.

I discourage my clients from getting canvas gallery wrap inkjet prints as they are the least durable of all. For that look a metal print is a somewhat safer option but still not as good as a print made on Fuji or Kodak paper and properly framed and matted and behind a sheet of glass.

Oct 19, 2015 at 01:30 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.