New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Blue-Ray for backup?

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Blue-Ray for backup?

As mentioned, "burnable" optical media makes uses of dyes. I don't have faith in the stability of that technology to last even one year. Magneto-optical is much more stable, but expensive and recently discontinued. M-Disc is intriguing, but young, single-source and proprietary. I just extracted some files from an old archive written 20 years ago: the medium is 8mm tape! For reliable long-term storage, tape remains the only proven medium—unless you include microfiche.

Jul 08, 2015 at 01:08 AM
AceCo55

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Blue-Ray for backup?

plnelson wrote:
But what is the result of an Allway Sync? On the destination media does it recreate the folder and file structure of the source media so it can be read on any computer or do you need Allway Sync to do a restore/recovery? This is my key requirement - that I can just plug the backup drive into any computer or device that can read a USB drive and it's all there just as a regular file system.

Yes - it is an exact copy of the files/folders/file structure.
I should qualify that: you create a job and list which folders/files you want to backup. (just in case you were under the impression that it simply clones one drive to another)
Allway sync then creates a backup of those folders/files on your destination - no compressing. Just an exact copy of the files/file structure of the folders in the job.
When I run it again, it compares the source and destination and makes all the changes to the destination drive to match the source drive (I only use ONE-WAY sync - I want my destination to match the folders/files, that I specified, on my source)

Just take the external hard drive to any (windows in my case) computer and read it all with Windows explorer.
You don't need Allway Sync to read the destination drive ... and you can write to the destination drive as you would any hard drive. Allway sync just compares the source and destination and synchronises the destination to be the same as the source.

Jul 08, 2015 at 05:59 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Blue-Ray for backup?

rico wrote:
As mentioned, "burnable" optical media makes uses of dyes. I don't have faith in the stability of that technology to last even one year. Magneto-optical is much more stable, but expensive and recently discontinued. M-Disc is intriguing, but young, single-source and proprietary. I just extracted some files from an old archive written 20 years ago: the medium is 8mm tape! For reliable long-term storage, tape remains the only proven medium—unless you include microfiche.

true that that statement about the dyes is I have disks burnt over 10 years ago on "lesser" branded platters that are readily readable. archivals do last just a bit longer. I have more issues with the burner/readers then the media.

Jul 08, 2015 at 08:14 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Blue-Ray for backup?

You do have to be very diligent in correctly storing optical media. If they are exposed to large temperature and/or humidity swings their readability can be jeopardized. Learned that lesson the hard way a number of years back.

Regarding optical media, IMO it's not a solution for archiving simply from a storage space point of view. Just do the math on how many BD's it would take to equal a 2Tb drive (hint: its 40) and at approx $3/disk thats $120 vs $85 not mention the inconvenience of having to deal with 40 disks and the slow writing time for each. With the tape solution basically gone, its now up to hard drives, SSD's ($$$) and on-line "cloud" providers to fill in the gap. I wouldn't waste my time or money with optical media for an archiving solution. JMTC

Matt

Jul 08, 2015 at 09:40 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.