New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Grenache
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Right 35 for a7ii???

I have spent no small amount of time staring at images on the Sony thread am am still no closer to figuring out a 35mm for my a7ii. I have and love a Zeiss 1.4/35 ZE, but it is fairly front heavy on the a7ii. I really loved my Leica 35/2 apo cron on my former M9 but don't have the lens any more either and thus never got a chance to even try it on the Sony. AF is not a priority but would not be bad. I can't afford an FLE, really prefer F/2 or f/1.4. I like my Minolta 2/28, but it is just a bit too wide for me. I'd lik something in relatively small format for around $1k or less. I have yet to be able to rent a Loxia 35, but while the 50 was nice, it was not nearly as versatile nor as nice in rendering as the 50MP, so I don't know how optimistic to be on that.

Suggestions??

Thanks,
Jim

Jul 05, 2015 at 01:16 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Right 35 for a7ii???

CV 35/1.2 II. Only downside IMO is the bit bigger size. Never found it to be an issue since it balances well with the camera body.

Jul 05, 2015 at 04:36 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Does anyone know how the CV 35/1.4 does on the A7 bodies? I know it has some funky bokeh, but otherwise, how is it? I used to have the 40/1.4 right when m4/3 started out and really liked it, despite the quirks.

Jul 05, 2015 at 06:19 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Right 35 for a7ii???

you have so many options now:
loxia 35 f/2
fe 35 f/2.8
fe 35 f/1.4
zm 35 f/1.4

i have the pre-fle and i love the size+combo

Edited on Aug 02, 2015 at 02:37 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2015 at 08:01 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Jim...I really like the Loxia 35. It's quite nice. Very sharp, excellent rendering(IMO), and fairly light/small. And, it also registers exif...I posted some images a couple pages back on the A7 thread....
Gregg

Jul 05, 2015 at 08:09 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Thanks, all. The Loxia seems right. I just have seen very unbalanced quality images (photographers, likely not the lens) on Flickr, so gauging performance without trying it has been tough. I'll go look at your posts Gregg. I missed them. The performance of the 1.4s in Sony mount looks great, but their size and weight exceed where I would like to be... For that, I could just do my ZE.

I have been considering Leica R 2/35, in part because I always liked the rendering, and its rendering most resembles the M version, but finding a nice copy at a reasonable price is tough.

Jul 05, 2015 at 10:15 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Hi Jim,

I have and love the ZE 35 f/1.4 as well and it is what I am using now, but I agree it feels a bit too big. I have been pondering this choice and I am pretty sure that I want the ZM 35mm f/1.4. It's edges and corners will suffer, however, if one doesn't get the cover glass modified on the camera. Still for me, I think that is the way I will go, but it is more that you are thinking of paying My second choice would be a Zeiss C/Y 35 f/1.4, but it is fairly big still and hard to find for $1,000. My third option would be a Pentax 31mm f/1.8 limited. That should be in your budge and is a nice lens and smaller than the Zeisses. I'm not sure of the MF on it, however. I hope my thought processes here could at least be of some help as you try to figure this out. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Jul 05, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Thanks, Steve

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:18 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Grenache wrote:
Thanks, all. The Loxia seems right. I just have seen very unbalanced quality images (photographers, likely not the lens) on Flickr, so gauging performance without trying it has been tough. I'll go look at your posts Gregg. I missed them. The performance of the 1.4s in Sony mount looks great, but their size and weight exceed where I would like to be... For that, I could just do my ZE.

I have been considering Leica R 2/35, in part because I always liked the rendering, and its rendering most resembles the M version, but finding a nice copy at a reasonable
...Show more

I forgot to mention that I had the Leica R 35 f/2 and it is a very nice lens in many respects. Very nice bokeh, reasonably sharp from wide open in the centre and a nice Mandler style rendering. It does have weak edges and corners that do not really recover even stopped down, however. I did like the lens quite a bit, but I think in just about every way the new Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4 trumps it (maybe not the bokeh). Pascal has a comparison of the Leica R, with the ZM, and the Sony/Zeiss 35 f/2.8 on the Dear Susan blog that is worth checking out.

Here's the link if you haven't seen it:

http://www.dearsusan.net/2015/02/05/high-end-35mm-lens-shootout-zeiss-distagon-t-1-425-zm-vs-leica-summicron-352-vs-sonyzeiss-fe-352-8/

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:29 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Don't forget about the upcoming Ultron 35/1.7 II. It is said the II version is more retrofocus in design. . .

Jul 06, 2015 at 08:34 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Right 35 for a7ii???

The problem with the ZM is that I have an a7ii, and as far as I am aware, those are not eligible for the conversion process. If it were, I might even consider plunking down for an APO cron M again. I really loved that lens.

Steve Spencer wrote:
I forgot to mention that I had the Leica R 35 f/2 and it is a very nice lens in many respects. Very nice bokeh, reasonably sharp from wide open in the centre and a nice Mandler style rendering. It does have weak edges and corners that do not really recover even stopped down, however. I did like the lens quite a bit, but I think in just about every way the new Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4 trumps it (maybe not the bokeh). Pascal has a comparison of the Leica R, with the ZM, and the Sony/Zeiss 35 f/2.8
...Show more

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:10 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Grenache wrote:
The problem with the ZM is that I have an a7ii, and as far as I am aware, those are not eligible for the conversion process. If it were, I might even consider plunking down for an APO cron M again. I really loved that lens.

You are right that right now Kolari vision can't do a conversion on the A7 II (but they are supposedly working on it). Personally, I have been happy enough with the examples and descriptions from Pascal (Pascaljappy)and Phillipe (Philber) that I think I can use it with a modification until Kolari vision figures out how to do the modification, but that is just me. It seems to perform well for what I would typically need even on an unmodified sensor stack, but I can certain understand how that wouldn't be enough for many if not most people. The sensible thing probably is to wait until the conversion is possible, and an A7r II conversion would be even better as the 42mp sensor is likely to do better without an AA filter, but I am not sure I will do the sensible thing

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:27 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Jman13 wrote:
Does anyone know how the CV 35/1.4 does on the A7 bodies? I know it has some funky bokeh, but otherwise, how is it? I used to have the 40/1.4 right when m4/3 started out and really liked it, despite the quirks.

I don't know if its just the characteristic of the CV35/1.4 or the A7 sensor stack thickness since I don't have any other body that works with it.
Basically only a special effects lens on the A7.
Sharp center from wide open, but the off center does not sharpen from f1.4-f5.6.
f8, it suddenly sharpens up off center, but even then, it will require focusing using the off center to be sure everything is sharp.
Even at that, its just passable as opposed to 'razor sharp' for most other SLR based 35mm lenses used on A7.

The Canon ltm 35/1.8 is a bit better in that its also center sharp only wide open, but sharpens as its stopped down at each f-stop.
Better off center sharpness by f8 too (though again focus using the off center is needed)

My A7 has been sent for the Kolari mod.
Hopefully it improves after that as this lens was one of the reasons I went for the mod.

Jul 06, 2015 at 09:36 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Jman13 wrote:

I did a quick search and found the following shots (mostly all very mediocre).

All are 100% 72dpi AdobeRGB jpegs produced directly from RAW using C1 Pro v8.3. Most were produced at 80% quality, the last few at 100%. All are SOOC, except for heavy highlight and (less) shadow manipulation.

Unfortunately, I have not conducted an analysis of strengths/weaknesses of this lens, unlike the previous poster.

A7R with CV35/1.4MC, 6 photos

On a completely different size/handling level, I absolutely love using my Canon FD Tilt-Shift 35/2.8 on the A7R. It's a stellar performer.

Jul 06, 2015 at 11:50 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Right 35 for a7ii???

What about ZE or ZF Distagon 35/2?
Excellent sharpness across the frame, unusually sharp all the way to MFD, full mirror-box friendly retrofocus design which should be fine with any sensor. Visible distortion on straight lines, just like all the other 35/2 or 35/1.4 retrofocus lenses.

Jul 07, 2015 at 02:56 AM
RZetter
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Right 35 for a7ii???

pinholecam wrote:
I don't know if its just the characteristic of the CV35/1.4 or the A7 sensor stack thickness since I don't have any other body that works with it.
Basically only a special effects lens on the A7.
Sharp center from wide open, but the off center does not sharpen from f1.4-f5.6.
f8, it suddenly sharpens up off center, but even then, it will require focusing using the off center to be sure everything is sharp.
Even at that, its just passable as opposed to 'razor sharp' for most other SLR based 35mm lenses used on A7.

The Canon ltm 35/1.8
...Show more

Have to agree with you regarding the CV 35/1.4, it's not feasible to use as a "do-it-all" 35. It has massive field curvature on the A7. I don't currently have access to my photo library but here's the only example (probably at f/1.4) I had at hand.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12700470/20150430161013_Wappen_e.jpg

Jul 07, 2015 at 03:55 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Right 35 for a7ii???

This is what I can recommend from my experience and what may meet your expectations grenache:

ZE/ZF Distagon 35/2,much lighter and slimmer compared to 35/1.4,not front heavy at all
Canon nFD/SSC 35/2
Minolta MC W.Rokkor HH 35/1.8 - large somehow,but not front heavy
SMC Pentax M 35/2
Olympus OM Zuiko 35/2
Samyang 35/1.4 - too big maybe,but light,and you'll need to select a good copy

There are some interesting 35/2.8 lenses either.

Jul 07, 2015 at 12:34 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Right 35 for a7ii???

35/2 cron isn't bad on the A7II.
I also like the 35/1.4 ZE

I'd suggest going for the 35/1.4 FE it's really the best option for the system (though I'm not a fan of the rendering personally).

Jul 07, 2015 at 03:16 PM
JaKo
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Right 35 for a7ii???

pinholecam wrote:
My A7 has been sent for the Kolari mod.
Hopefully it improves after that as this lens was one of the reasons I went for the mod.

You won't regret it!
Match your modded A7x with Zeiss ZM 1.4/35 and you will get very interesting results, even wide open. I took the image below at f/1.4 (ISO 100 at 1/2500) pre-focusing on left hand side foliage then stopped down to f/8 for the final shot.

At f/1.4 ZM 35 looks fairly decent...
http://www.kozera.ca/photos/images/_DSC9412_1600.jpg

Jul 07, 2015 at 06:54 PM
Grenache
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Right 35 for a7ii???

Hmmm. I confess that I had forgotten how much lighter the ZE/ZF f/2 lens is. I used it for a few weeks several years ago and opted for the f/1.4 when I bought one.i also had not seen examples of the Pentax or older Canon 35s before. Those look viable as well.

Jul 07, 2015 at 09:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.